[3.0] Theory Craft - Gladiator/Deadeye Pillar of Caged God - Spectral Throw

Hello! This will be my league starter for 3.0! It will be super cheap with the exception of Astramentis and endgame rares.

I'm posting this mainly to refer to my plan that I'll inevitably forget while playing, and also to share the theory craft. I don't really know how to link items or make it look fancy, so I apologize for the eyesore. I'm also no expert, I would say I'm an casual player compared to most.

Here's the passive tree setup (I probably won't get much higher level than 80)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAfnoQYe3PoPMPC3GrsT2cqmsqlnzGjiQVWh02mKUoNhN9zJ82eoYdqzPfv4K2L01kvJFOuGmV03j_o8xnrXyeA3AGqlud-MB3ITZR369NlivNugB5xv6Jd-kGXlowQRfPxQg7w5QR-RR-OsUcdl8ggfyQa2NhmBhUpOoirNXVO9OXhNAoHrvBS107RRNvJ8YkfxLr6cczitQDc3-VCcvGFaDX2872sEuU9NvGlVany0wRalmtjpSMn5lTb6n891oZT7x1YtKLqelDjzfv9tP4MMlvAJfpAxg3ofWe26XIcF8hwcAwVgX

Important thing to take away from the passive tree is the +545 strength, +120 to dexterity, 5 Jewwel Sockets available, 233% increased life, Blood Magic, Iron Grip, and Resolute Technique. Also with Ascendancy class, a passive 40% to cause bleeding, 65% with support gem if it stays the same at release.
Also very very close to ALL endurance charge nodes, so that will be where I head if i level up more, since you get free charges with Bringer of Rain

Must have items will be:

Weapon: Pillar of Caged God (obviously)
Helmet: Bringer of Rain(Abyssus has too crazy of a drawback, and this is much cheaper and fits the build better)
Chest: Yup
Jewelry: Good flat phys rare rings with Tri-Res and Astramentis (increased damage and attack speed, this might get switched out for a good rare amulet with flat phys and tri-res, idk which would be better)
Belt: Meginords Girdle(flat phys)
Boots: Redblade Tramplers
Gloves: Meginord's Vise for leveling, probably switch to good rare gloes with flat phys later and resistances.

Passive Jewels: Brawns!!! +6% to strength is like 33 strength per jewel with just passive tree alone. fuuuuck yea +4%-6% dex is a nice bonus. We don't care about intelligence. These are waaay cheaper than perfect rolled +26 strength jewels. Maybe do 1 Steel Spirit but will have to test to see the damage comparison.

The real stars of the show are the new support gems. If released how they were spoiled here (http://i.imgur.com/zT2dsFT.png) then the following is interesting:

"Chance to Bleed:
Red support gem
Supported attacks have a 25% chance to cause Bleeding.
Adds (1-50) to (1-75) Physical Damage to Attacks."

the flat physical damage is the biggest thing, the bleed is a bonus and I'm going to lightly play around the debuff. There's also:

"Maim
Red Support Gem
Supported Skills have 30% chance to Maim on hit
Enemies Maimed by this skill take (20-30)% increased Physical Damage
Supported Skills deal (10-19)% more Physical Damage"

This will be used on our Bringer of Rain helmet along with the Riposte, Vengeance, and Fortify gems to deal more damage, and apply the Maim and Blind debuffs on enemies for added defense, and DPS increase.

Heres the Skill Gem setups:

--Main--
(in Pillar)
1 Spectral Throw
2 Chance to Bleed
3 Brutality
4 LMP or Increased Proj. Damage ***change for boss fights***
5 Faster Attacks
6 Never going to have a 6L, but I guess knockback or life leech

--Defense--
(in boots or gloves)
1 CWDT
2 Immortal Call
3 Increased Duration
4 Golem probably

(in Bringer of Rain)
1 Riposte
2 Vengeance
3 Maim
4 Fortify
**more melee phys
**faster attacks
**blind

--Movement--
(in boots or gloves
1 Leap Slam
2 Faster Attacks
3 Fortify
4 Anything, reduced mana I guess

Well that's about all of the planning. I hope it works out.
Comments and suggestions are definitely welcome
Last bumped on Jan 10, 2018, 2:08:41 PM
Ok I'll bite..

Frankly it seems like quite a mess, the tree contains some very inefficient pathing (yeah I get it, you're trying to pick up str) and you should at least make use of scions different start position.

The amount of block you get is too low to really do anything with and riposte or vengeance don't proc fortify either.

At 1.3 attacks per second the pillar is quite slow to properly benefit from flat phys. I suggest you stick this whole thing into Path of Building and check out what it gives you.

I would also consider why you want to build this as a scion and at the very least switch out the gladiator ascendancy to slayer.

Also since there's so much increased damage available, you would benefit most from getting the biggest more -multipliers you can. If you're sticking to pure phys then stuff like projectile weakness and vulnerability would be pretty good. You got some life regen in the tree too so you could easily utilize that to run blood rage and keep those leech instances going if you went slayer.

Maybe I'm sounding too negative but the whole blocking aspect seems like a useless sideshow especially since with spectral throw you're not really supposed to be in the thick of things.

"
Bnethor wrote:
Ok I'll bite..

Frankly it seems like quite a mess, the tree contains some very inefficient pathing (yeah I get it, you're trying to pick up str) and you should at least make use of scions different start position.

The amount of block you get is too low to really do anything with and riposte or vengeance don't proc fortify either.

At 1.3 attacks per second the pillar is quite slow to properly benefit from flat phys. I suggest you stick this whole thing into Path of Building and check out what it gives you.

I would also consider why you want to build this as a scion and at the very least switch out the gladiator ascendancy to slayer.

Also since there's so much increased damage available, you would benefit most from getting the biggest more -multipliers you can. If you're sticking to pure phys then stuff like projectile weakness and vulnerability would be pretty good. You got some life regen in the tree too so you could easily utilize that to run blood rage and keep those leech instances going if you went slayer.

Maybe I'm sounding too negative but the whole blocking aspect seems like a useless sideshow especially since with spectral throw you're not really supposed to be in the thick of things.

Thanks for feedback,

yea this was a rushed idea and i think i'm scrapping it all together. I tried to test it as a "proof of concept" type of situation in standard league, and it's just... not good.

I think i'm going to go a completely different build all together. I don't think i'm good enough to make Pillar good enough to do end game content worth a damn.
I love pillar of caged god but have yet to make a successful one:D.

My tip is stay away from anything that says 'increased damage' as it modifies the base damage + flat damage.

Round numbers pulled out my ass but if you have
pillar 40 phys
rings and amulet 100 phys
abysuss 60 phys

total 200 base phys

lets say you have enough strength to multiply that base 10 times you are at 2000 damage

if you get anything that says increased physical such as the gladiator 30% increased damage if you've killed a bleeding enemy recently you will be getting

200 x 10.3
2060 damage...

its the same for elemental damage
throw hatred on for 30% of physical gained as cold you will be at

2000 physical + 600 cold
2600 damage

get 25% increased elemental damage from any source and you will be at 2612 damage...:(

kinda sucks but makes sense.

Last edited by Mammatus on Jan 11, 2018, 6:01:06 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info