I built a non-intrusive tool to keep you 'online' for POE Trade

Ok, so i wanted to be online for POETrade. I downloaded this thing called 'Acquisition' and it wanted my uname and password for poe, steam, my SSN and birthday(ok, kidding on the last two) and i was like....nah. No thanks. So, since im a programmer, i wrote up a quick program that I now use to keep me visible to trading when I am playing poe. It does not ask you for any of your credentials. You can find it here, along with the simple source code:

https://github.com/softpsyche/PoeTracker/releases/tag/FirstCut

I am just posting this here in case anyone else needs it. If you dont, or like giving random .exes your credentials, have fun.

DEAR GGG: i read the terms of the forum, hopefully this does not violate any. I am just trying to help the community, if i did err in my reading of legalise, please delete this thread and take my most humble apologies.

Yours truly
Some guy who loves POE
Last bumped on Jun 30, 2017, 10:36:34 PM
"
Thugalicious wrote:
and it wanted my uname and password for poe
or you could've used your sessionID...
Also, acquisition is an open source too so I don't see what's the big difference in this regard between it and your program.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on Jun 26, 2017, 8:53:10 PM
Yeah, but its in some language and framework I dont know. And not everyone is a programmer. 'Open source' doesn't mean anything to a non-programmer. Also, even to a programmer if the solution is huge I dont want to spend 48 hours learning some new framework/language (maybe not maybe its just C) just to verify that someone didnt slip a quick call to some server with my credentials. So your comment is like 'Hey, your a lawyer so go ahead and read this 500 page tome of legalese it should be OK! I wanted to create something very simple that even a college graduate could verify the source in like 3 minutes. So thats what I did. If you don't see a need for it, don't use it. I only wanted something to mark me as online. I dont see why it needs all my personal info to do that. But hey, you can do whatever you want with yours...
>Yeah, but its in some language and framework I dont know.
And your solution is in another language that some other people might not know.

>And not everyone is a programmer. 'Open source' doesn't mean anything to a non-programmer.
This applies to both acquisition and your program.

>Also, even to a programmer if the solution is huge I dont want to spend 48 hours learning some new framework/language (maybe not maybe its just C) just to verify that someone didnt slip a quick call to some server with my credentials.
Again, you can use sessionID. You are not required to use login/password.

>I wanted to create something very simple that even a college graduate could verify the source in like 3 minutes. So thats what I did.
Yes. Although you could've presented it just as that, "simple tool to appear online on poetrade" instead of "simple tool to appear online on poetrade as opposed to hellish Acquisition which'll steal all your personal info and moneyz".

>I dont see why it needs all my personal info to do that. But hey, you can do whatever you want with yours...
*sigh* sessionID, dude. Look it up, mkay?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
1.) Silumit, we get it. You like Acquisition. You're offend. Is all of this really helping, though?

2.) Thug, you are the reason I despise trading in PoE @_@. People who use "I'm Online!" bots to show up as online despite not actually being available to trade (or who otherwise show up as "hey buy my stuff!" without actually bothering to return any messages sent to them) are factually, empirically, the worst possible person you can encounter in Path. Scientific fact.

Is there any other reason for your tool to exist, other than scamming people into sending offers to a guy what's never actually going to respond to them?

Alternately: Grinding Gear, can we PLEASE just get some sort of semi-automated trading system already?!
Last edited by 1453R on Jun 29, 2017, 4:39:53 PM
Not that I really *like* acquisition (it is just the least of evils) but I don't like when people start spewing shit without even trying to learn the facts first.
Wow, try share something and out come all the trolls.

1.- just use the sessionid? im not sure thats much safer from a security point of view. Why dont you read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_hijacking , MKAY? Wow...dont apply for an ITSEC job. Do you even know what a session is? If you did, you might realize how moronic your statement is. Bottom line, you see a post with something you dont like/dont want to use. Just move on. Dont drop in to troll someone who is simply trying to give people other options for how to stay online. Dont make shit up - I never accused the program of stealing pwds - i merely said that it made me uncomfortable and i would have needed to verify all the source which was more work that writing a simpler program. I also stated that this is not needed for someone who merely wants to appear online while they are logged in.

2.- Not sure what this has to do with my program. The program checks for a running poe.exe process, so as long as you dont leave your app running you should be fine. A fool with a tool is still a fool. BTW, i use poe trade all the time and people are always offline. Yeah, if you are an idiot and are rude a tool won't prevent this from coming out. whether its a knife, a gun, an elected office, or as it turns out too often in these cases: a keyboard and an internet connection.

"
Thugalicious wrote:
Wow, try share something and out come all the trolls.

1.- just use the sessionid? im not sure thats much safer from a security point of view. Why dont you read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_hijacking , MKAY? Wow...dont apply for an ITSEC job. Do you even know what a session is? If you did, you might realize how moronic your statement is. Bottom line, you see a post with something you dont like/dont want to use. Just move on. Dont drop in to troll someone who is simply trying to give people other options for how to stay online. Dont make shit up - I never accused the program of stealing pwds - i merely said that it made me uncomfortable and i would have needed to verify all the source which was more work that writing a simpler program. I also stated that this is not needed for someone who merely wants to appear online while they are logged in.

2.- Not sure what this has to do with my program. The program checks for a running poe.exe process, so as long as you dont leave your app running you should be fine. A fool with a tool is still a fool. BTW, i use poe trade all the time and people are always offline. Yeah, if you are an idiot and are rude a tool won't prevent this from coming out. whether its a knife, a gun, an elected office, or as it turns out too often in these cases: a keyboard and an internet connection.

Thank you for sharing about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_hijacking
Never knew it was this risky.
Except session hijacking has absolutely nothing to do with the topic in question. But oh well, at least OP proved he can use google, I'll give him that.
Also, OP, in case you didn't know - you can't do anything (sell,destroy,move) with your in-game items neither you can't change your email/password using only the sessionID. Learn your facts before spewing even more bile, plox.
I'm a little puzzled.

If you're playing Path of Exile, aren't you online by default?
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info