[2.6] The Unethical 18.6m dps molten strike /w PoB links and comparisons

I've never before posted a build on here. I'm still leveling this one, just started mapping with it, and so far it's glorious. Assuming path of building, and my math is correct, it should easily faceroll everything. Thus far I've seen nothing to lead me to believe my assumptions are wrong, but please correct me if I am in fact wrong. I readily admit I don't know everything.

The tree

The links
Spoiler

molten strike - multistrike - added chaos - conc effect - void manip - slower proj

spec throw - gmp - added chaos - faster attacks - void manip - pierce

spell totem - wither - faster cast

shield charge / whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify - *blood magic* 3L or 4L, player's choice

grace - arctic armour - vaal lightning trap - flame dash

cwdt - firestorm - iron will - cntrl dest - max them

lvl 1 cwdt - lvl 3 imm call - lvl 3 flame golem - use this BEFORE cloaked in savagery + vaal pact

lvl 1 cwdt - lvl 4 bladefall - iron will - cntrl dest - use this AFTER cloaked in savagery + vaal pact

Path of Building
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/52aU0WjY
I absolutely hope someone checks my numbers, if there's a mistake, I want to know.
http://imgur.com/a/fgZzP

So you may look at that and wonder WTF, this idiot said 18.6m and that clearly says 1.86m, and you're right, it does say that, but that number is per ball, and there's 10 balls, so if all 10 hit the same target, and on large hit box mobs that's possible, the 1.86m per ball x 10 balls = 18.6m dps. But wait! That's still not right because bosses take less damage! Yeah, but fuck it, everyone else puts the biggest numbers theoretically possible in their shit too, at least I'm upfront about it.

Also, this is with the worst motem it's possible to roll, when I set it up in PoB, I set all the variables for the weapon to minimum, and all other uniques I left them at average, so it's absolutely possible to actually get this higher.

If you look at the other images in the album under you can double check these but I'll do a breakdown here. I'm going to go with the assumption that 5 balls can hit the average mob, and let's say 7 for bosses and 10 for shaper / guardians.

~18.6m at full OPness
~9.3m vs trash
~9.03m vs boss
~5.49m vs minotaur and phoenix (hydra and chimera can't be poisoned)
~3.94m vs shaper (he can't be shocked)

The Uniques

The comparisons

The Story
Spoiler

I've been playing this game for a while, sometimes I use what other people have made, sometimes I make my own, and sometimes I draw inspiration from others. At the start of this league, the 2nd character I made, I copied Mathil's mortem morsu spectral throw assassin. I thoroughly enjoyed it and had a great time. A lot of my friends played various Brutus' Lead Sprinkler builds, various totem, spectral throw, molten strike shenanigans. I saw Lifting's BLS shaper kill video. Then I saw Mathil do his spin on the BLS thing, and both were nice but I didn't care for having to get strength on everything, and trying to stack enough accuracy to be viable, and keep str on everything and I just didn't feel like doing that.

Then I saw a molten strike build using dyadus axe and lycosadae shield. I liked that because it took advantage of molten strike's boss killing potential, and budget items, and got rid of the need for strength stacking, and the need for accuracy was gone.

Then I saw a molten strike build using hyaon's fury and lycosadae. It was similar in concept to the dyadus one, but more damage. More importantly he addressed what I felt was a weakness of a lot of the molten strike builds, comfortable general mapping. He put a voltaxic with split arrow on weapons swap. May not sound like much, but it was the last piece of the puzzle that fell into place to spark my idea for this currant build.

What I liked about the BLS, dyadus, and hyaon builds were their boss killing. Every one of them pretty well just delete bosses. It's kind of ridiculous. But mapping with molten strike, while not bad, is not great. What other budget weapons could I use for molten strike ... motem is cheap ... hmmm molten strike is op, poison is op, zerker is op, vaal pact is op, and if I stack chaos dmg, proj dmg, that wouldn't only work for ms, but st as well, and since I'd alrdy done motem morsu st I knew that worked, and zerker's dmg is global ... fuck me this shit might just work!

That was essentially my thought process when going into this. It was an idea sparked by various other builds, that lead me down a path of let me see how many op things I can pile on top of one another. I think the only thing I'm really missing is that it's not ES based.

I know there are lot of molten strike builds out there, but I've not seen any using mortem morsu and/or poison. All the molten strike builds I've found were focused on elemental damage. Nearly all the motem morsu builds I found were spectral throw.

My plan was to have the molten strike setup in my 6 link belly, and the spectral throw setup in my 6 link cherubim's. Currently what I've been doing is using my cherub's st full time and just running with a 4 link molten strike, but I'm also only lvl 71 as of the time of this writing and if it works, fuck it. Once it feels like the 4 link is falling off, I'll start carrying around the belly and swapping.

I'm a decent player, but by no means great. I've killed all the guardians multiple times, but never shaper. I've tried, I've just always gotten overwhelmed in the last fight. I'm not ashamed to admit that there is simply too much shit going on for me to keep track of it all. I'm hoping that this one might just be idiot proof enough, via high dps and instant leech that even my pleeb ass can kill shaper once I get this lvl'd up enough.

So that's it for now. If this generates any sort of interest, I'll update it. If you have any questions ask away. If you find something I've overlooked, or something I've fucked up on, let me know.

TL;DR: Abuses poison to do 3x more dps than other molten strike builds. Tree, gems, and uniques are linked above. If you use path of building, I've included links for my tree and gear, and also the trees and gears of the other builds that I'm comparing this to.
Last edited by Dreschau on Jun 24, 2017, 10:03:57 PM
Last bumped on Jun 25, 2017, 9:34:24 PM
It's 1.8 mil in PoB, not 18 mil. 1,868,054.8 dps inc poison!
IGN: Naforce
Last edited by Naforce on Jun 22, 2017, 10:08:32 AM
Not knowing the mechanics of PoE too well, does this DPS rely on double dipping?

Thanks
its 1.8 mil in PoB tooltip not 18. :D
Nemesis IGN: [Removed by Admin]
"
hellzer wrote:

"

It's damage from 1 orb.
"
Naforce wrote:

"
hellzer wrote:

It's 1.86m per ball, not total. If all 10 balls hit one target, that's 18.6m.

"
shaokim wrote:
Not knowing the mechanics of PoE too well, does this DPS rely on double dipping?

Thanks

Yes, it does. It's using attack damage, chaos damage, area damage, and projectile damage to double dip the poison, it also has quite a bit of increased skill effect duration, which means considerably longer poison damage.

It will only work as is, in the current patch. I haven't yet redone it in 3.0 in PoB to optimize for that, was going to wait until more changes are known. They're still tweaking a lot of the DoT numbers especially.
your character has a total dps.including poison of 25502.
??
Ok :)
"
your character has a total dps.including poison of 25502.
??

If you were looking at my character, and imported what I was wearing last night into PoB, it might have been that, last night I was using spectral throw in my 6L and molten strike on a 4L. I've since changed it. My PoB planned build, is what I linked and referenced in the OP. It was also with less than optimal gear, it can actually go much higher.

Yes it's intentionally exploiting many completely op and semi broken mechanics to do what I'm doing with it. Yes it will only work until the new expac launches, but for now, I don't personally know of another build that can do more dps with less of a currency investment.

Import https://pastebin.com/52aU0WjY into PoB.

1,868,054.8 per ball.

With 2 of the wildfire threshold jewels it has 10 balls.

1,868,054.8 x 10 = 18,680,548 total
your character ( and mine that i made in standard) only has like 100k dps per ball max.

I dont know why though, since mine isnt much different from the one you made in path of building.
Ok :)
"
your character ( and mine that i made in standard) only has like 100k dps per ball max.

I dont know why though, since mine isnt much different from the one you made in path of building.

Check what you have the wither stacks set to, and check what you have turned on/off on the config tab.

I had wither stacks at 20, shocked (vaal lightning trap), intimidated (deceiver belt), not because that's indicative of how shit will actually be most of the time, just because I wanted to see what the theoretical maximum would be in a perfect world.

This morning I killed each guardian twice with the build, once with them white, and once with them alch'd and vaal'd just to compare the guardian kill speed vs other builds I've done it with. On minotuar and hydra I could just straight face tank it as long as I had fortify up before the big hits. On phoenix and chimera I had to gtfo for the big explosion and the superman punch, but those are supposed to be one shots anyway so I don't feel bad for that.

It was definitely the fastest, and easiest time I have ever had killing them. But I know that me saying that isn't objectively worth very much.

I have 2 full shaper sets now and will try him in a bit, I'll report back whether I succeed or fail. I've tried him on various builds since he's come out, I've fought him 4-5 times, and have always gotten to his last phase and just get overwhelmed with everything that's going on and die to mechanics that are avoidable, I just have trouble when there's that much shit going on at once. So even if I still fail to kill him with this build, I wont blame that on the build, I'll blame that on me just being bad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info