Benchmarking CPU/GPU Load

Hello,

I was benchmarking PoE for my own sake, but I saw something interesting, so I figured I would share it. I have made a YouTube video (linked below), which explains all of the relevant hardware in my PC and the In-Game settings I am using (in the description).

Some other information not mentioned in YouTube description:
-I used Nvidia Shadowplay to record the video.
-No other tasks were running in the background, other than MSI Afterburner / Riva Tuner to benchmark.

The interesting thing about this benchmarking is that the CPU usage doesn't seem to increase much when put under load. FPS goes down, CPU usages stays about the same, GPU usage goes down.

Read the YouTube Description for more information:
https://youtu.be/l9LuwXoqeww

Edit:
Final update

I upgraded my PC:

i5-3570k 4C/4T @ 4.3 GHz
8 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

To:
Ryzen 5 1600 6C/12T @ 3.875 GHz
16 GB DDR4 @ 2933 MHz

PoE performs similarly to what was seen before in my initial video with the initial hardware. FPS still drops down to 30s in worst case scenario and CPU usage never really goes above 40%. Performance in PoE is therefore unchanged, however, this could differ slightly depending on the background tasks you have in addition to PoE (listening to a twitch stream for example).

This conclusion seems to suggest the issue is on GGG's side and not local hardware, which is disappointing.

Final final update:
GGG's latest news on their improvements for 3.0 look great, excited to see the improvements!

Thanks.
Last edited by Finkster06 on Jun 26, 2017, 7:00:34 PM
Last bumped on Jun 27, 2017, 4:56:29 PM
I noticed that too, I can't make my cpu go all in under stress.
Spreading salt since 2006
"
Necromael wrote:

Using DDR3 RAM? I am running 1600MHz RAM and someone suggested that is my problem.
"
Finkster06 wrote:
"
Necromael wrote:

Using DDR3 RAM? I am running 1600MHz RAM and someone suggested that is my problem.

Could be , I'm using : Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz (PC3-12800) CL11
Spreading salt since 2006
Got DDR4 3000mhz RAM. Doesn't help much unfortunately. It's just engine limitations, it's very outdated and it's hard to really patch it up to modernity. Just gotta live with it I guess.
Your bottleneck is probably your CPU.

Here is my rig: https://youtu.be/0qJj5ULUU4A?list=PLw8DvgBoYK9pH7d9GrIJ4E8XqogiHbj95

I'm playing in 1080p and my average CPU load is maybe 20% or 25%.

Same numbers with DSR on(2715x1527 or 3840x2160 instead of 1080p).

Selffound FTW!!!!
Last edited by Mordad on Jun 11, 2017, 5:42:39 PM
"
Mordad wrote:
Your bottleneck is probably your CPU.

Here is my rig: https://youtu.be/MVHSzjiPwBY?list=PLw8DvgBoYK9pH7d9GrIJ4E8XqogiHbj95

I'm playing in 1080p and my average CPU load is maybe 20% or 25%.

Same numbers with DSR on(2715x1527 or 3840x2160 instead of 1080p).

I would expect a CPU bottleneck to have CPU usage at 100% during load. Your CPU seems better than mine because your baseline looks to be 20% to 25%, while mine is 50%, but I still never hit 100% on any cores. I wouldn't expect your CPU usage to go up with DSR, as higher resolution would put more load on GPU.
"
Accedie wrote:
Got DDR4 3000mhz RAM. Doesn't help much unfortunately. It's just engine limitations, it's very outdated and it's hard to really patch it up to modernity. Just gotta live with it I guess.

So you have seen that none of your cores hit 100% usage during load scenario in PoE with the faster RAM? What CPU/GPU are you using and what game settings? The one thing that would make sense here is if your bottleneck lies in the GPU and so CPU wouldn't see 100% usage.
"

I would expect a CPU bottleneck to have CPU usage at 100% during load. Your CPU seems better than mine because your baseline looks to be 20% to 25%, while mine is 50%, but I still never hit 100% on any cores. I wouldn't expect your CPU usage to go up with DSR, as higher resolution would put more load on GPU.

Yes my CPU seems to be better, according to tests/benchmarks your CPU should be more than enough to power your GTX1080.
It is just strange, just walking around and some shooting and your CPU is at 50% load.

I'm able to reach 50% too and even more with discharge.

https://youtu.be/7T1ntDbGfGI?list=PLw8DvgBoYK9pH7d9GrIJ4E8XqogiHbj95
Selffound FTW!!!!
"
Mordad wrote:
"

Yes my CPU seems to be better, according to tests/benchmarks your CPU should be more than enough to power your GTX1080.
It is just strange, just walking around and some shooting and your CPU is at 50% load.

I'm able to reach 50% too and even more with discharge.

https://youtu.be/7T1ntDbGfGI?list=PLw8DvgBoYK9pH7d9GrIJ4E8XqogiHbj95

You have a hard lock of 60 FPS in that video, whereas my GPU was outputting 200+ FPS (unlocked FPS). This is why my CPU was at 50% load just walking around. I didn't realize you had V-Sync on before. I see you also have 1600 MHz RAM, are you able to get 100% usage on any of your CPU cores in a under 60 FPS heavy load scenario?
Last edited by Finkster06 on Jun 11, 2017, 7:26:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info