L I F E (the movie)

Just a small thing that pissed me off about the ending...

I didn't like how "in your face" the ending was.
Here's how the director could have done a better job:

Spoiler
Show the struggle between the alien and his control stick, and her autopilot system failing.
Now we know they are having trouble. Show the escape pods swirling around space as they seemingly take on different paths. One pod enters the atmosphere, parachutes deploy, add some subtle "happy ending home coming" music, the female survived, his sacrifice worked. Fishermen gather closer around...

Quick cut to the other pod out of orbit shooting into space, it's the woman inside, screaming in despair at the broken control system. Cut back to the earth pod, outside overview, more boats gather around the pod, the music drops to a malicious deep slide, a fisherman turns the door lock and we hear a opening sound. Black out. Credits roll.

THAT'S how you execute that ending!
You let us viewers realise the twist so we can go
"OH SHIT OH SHIT OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK THE ALIEN IS IN *THAT* POD!!!"
instead of actually showing us the man with the alien inside,
because that is too in-your-face and insulting our intelligence!

But hey, what the fuck do I know about directing cool movie scenes...
I'm just some guy.

"Players can now smack around players who are having trouble very early on."
-Bex
Last bumped on May 11, 2017, 8:26:07 AM
The movie was decent, for its genre. I'm not a fan of horror movies, they typically bore me to death, but that one was passable. There were, of course, many nonsensical plot elements, but I try not to delve too deep in these things - my overly analytical brain will jump and happily eviscerate nearly any movie plot nowadays if given half a chance.

Spoiler
I like how the good guys didn't win this time. It was basically a film about the apocalypse.

Still, some pet peeves (at least the ones I remember):

Spoiler

- there's no way in hell Calvin could've survived the burning unscathed
- the scene where they had to close the air vents one by one, manually, each time just a moment before Calvin reached them yeah, right. Cheap suspense building.
- hey, this anabolic super-alien just made mincemeat out of our guy, let me jump in the same room with him, unarmed, and try to help! Let's not seal the fuck out of the room, contact Earth ASAP and start thinking about ways to kill the fucker! I'm a trained elite astronaut, it totally makes sense for me to be a fucking moron!
- the several jump scares. Jump scares are the director's way of saying, 'I want to scare the audience, but I can't do it properly, so I'll just go with a jump scare'
- the idiotic lack of basic safety precautions which allowed Calvin to escape the sealed box in the first place
- the supposedly super smart scientist was a total idiot overall
- the crew should've realized Calvin was a fucking menace and couldn't be allowed to reach Earth much earlier
- people from Earth should've realized Calvin was a fucking menace much earlier
- Calvin was unrealistically overpowered, seemed completely unstoppable and devoid of weakness from the very beginning. This ruined the suspense. The ending wasn't surprising at all.

What I did like? All things considered, overpowered or not, Calvin was kinda cool, and the actors did a great job. I also liked the jolly atmosphere at the beginning and the gradual descent into carnage and despair. And the title, Life. I think it's a good title. Reminds us in a very visceral way that nature, and life itself, have a rather dark and brutal side.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 11, 2017, 8:30:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info