Magic The Gathering Cards as an Investment

How well do the booster boxes age? Do they increase in value if you keep them a few years? Does it depend highly on the set popularity or the types of cards it contains?
anything is everything
Last bumped on May 8, 2017, 3:30:04 PM
I could ask a friend who used to work at a shop, but my understanding is that booster boxes used to age well as an investment, but then people noticed it and started buying booster boxes and keeping them sealed. So now they don't.
Buy google stock instead.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Depends a lot on the set.

It can take around 10 years for a set to have their boxes increase in value, just because of rarity of the set (assuming not particularly expensive card in it).

Now, some sets are worth a LOT more, like time spiral and battle for zendikar, but that's due to a few outliners (fetch lands and tarmogoyf).

Beside that, it's like I said, it takes a long time for a box set to significantly increase in value and even then, it doesn't beat inflation...
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I'd give some suggestions what's worked for me but you wouldn't like them.

Who knew you'd be into freaky hentai mags??
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I'd give some suggestions what's worked for me but you wouldn't like them.

Well, right now I'm maxing my 401k to matched contributions by the company I work for and trying to save up enough money for a house by the next time the market in my area takes a downswing. That's all I really have right now. Real estate is a great investment in my area... everything is getting higher and higher now though, so it's starting to feel eerie

The MTG thing was kinda a not-serious deal, I just really like unboxing stuff, and if it would keep equiv value or gain value over time, I would consider buying a little up.

Another thing I do for fun is go to the bank and get bulk coins and search through them for silver coins or more rare coins, not an investment by any means but fun and you break even and then some (even though it's miniscule)

My 401k is mostly in domestic/foreign stocks, even though I don't really trust the stock market because another event like 2008 will fuck all that up.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on May 7, 2017, 9:07:47 PM
I don't know if it's possible to make a good investment about buying booster pack, but I was playing Magic about 20 years ago and last year I sold my card. Some of them were pretty pricy for their age and rarity.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
There's nothing in the world like cracking an MTG booster. Nothing.

Real estate is scary. I have friends who've picked up a few investment properties and scored good tenants, but I wouldn't risk it. And here, especially, there's a bubble waiting to burst and it's going to be a big fucking mess when it does.

I think I've opened 3 MTG boosters packs (yes individual packs) in my life and I got a... mythic? maybe holographic? It was last year idk what I was doing. But after watching a few unboxing videos recently I realized that the uncommon foil card I have and thought was awesome is.... probably just very average haha

Yep I'm not touching any property for a bit, just gonna keep renting
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on May 7, 2017, 10:53:42 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Ah, foil rares. I quit long before they were a thing. Hell, cards didn't even have rarity markers on them when I quit. You had to, yknow, read Scrye and shit.

But it doesn't take a genius to see where the idea for Legacy uniques in PoE came from. Only an MTG lover could think that adding shiny effects to perfectly good art would somehow increase its value.

Fun fact, alternative art is inspired from MTG alternative art cards.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Ah, foil rares. I quit long before they were a thing. Hell, cards didn't even have rarity markers on them when I quit. You had to, yknow, read Scrye and shit.

But it doesn't take a genius to see where the idea for Legacy uniques in PoE came from. Only an MTG lover could think that adding shiny effects to perfectly good art would somehow increase its value.

Fun fact, alternative art is inspired from MTG alternative art cards.

I didn't know mtg cards had alternative art. Just different art in different blocks for reprinted cards. Not quite the same thing, but close enough.

Nah, there's actual alternate art, there's also full card art.

They were generally promotional cards that you'd get at a friday night magic, a pro tour, judge reward, frequent player reward or pre-release promo.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info