2.6 Brutus Sprinkler MS Zerker 72k / 140k DPS || EO and mob problems SOLVED! Videos inside

If you're here you're either thinking about building around Brutus' Lead Sprinklers, or you already have and are looking for new ideas to the problems the build faces. I have respec'd this build so many times, from Chieftain to Zerker, no Vaal Pact to Vaal Pact, and even tinkered with Geoffri's and Shaper Gloves for a higher EHP life pool. I honestly feel like this is the best version available because of three main reasons:

1. High sustain of Elemental Overload (EO) from two AOE spells linked to CWDT and Increased Critical Strikes.

2. Mob survivability from CWDT spells. Bladefall and Firestorm both linked to Iron Will to turn our Strength into additional DPS. This gives us the leech to survive those ranged hits, or when we're frozen and unable to attack.

3. High focus on damage mitigation by using a Lightning Coil (Legacy for me, but normal should be fine) and MoM on tree.

One of the biggest problems I, and probably you, faced when playing this build was dealing with ranged monsters, porcupines, and the time frame between when you attack and when the balls actually hit the enemy. I found the leveling from Normal to Merc Dried Lake to be a cake walk and thought the build was so busted and I would waltz right through maps up to Guardians, Shaper, and Uber Atziri........ until I got pasted Merc Dried Lake. Something happened, right around Malachai I started dying a lot more frequently, monsters were hitting harder, there were more of them, most of them were ranged, and I found myself dying even when I was able to leap slam into a pack because their attacks hit me before my balls could drop and leech. Below are my gear, gems, and explanations of why I feel like they fix the issues mentioned.

Special shout out to my buddy John (Delarage) who really put a lot of thought into this with me and gave some great suggestions on how to salvage an, what I considered at the time, unplayable build.

Gems/Links
Spoiler

6L chest: Molten Strike --> Melee Splash (Fire Pen for bosses) --> Multistrike --> WED --> Faster Attacks --> Ele focus.

5L chest: I would drop FA.

4L: CWDT --> Bladefall --> Increased crit strikes --> Iron Will (lvl 10 CWDT, lvl 12 everything else)
4L: CWDT --> Firestorm --> Increased crit strikes --> Iron Will (lvl 18 CWDT, lvl 20 everything else)

Our mob sustainability package. Whenever we're hit from afar the CWDT will trigger and we'll instantly leech back to full health making us effectively immortal vs mobs. After making this switch I was able to face tank porcupines and everything under the sun that didn't one shot me. Once I added ICS I found my EO to be up more frequently since I was hitting my crit chance from multiple angles. This made it a more viable option than RT. Iron Will almost doubles the DPS giving us that extra punch to keep us alive. You could do double bladefall but I like that Firestorm gives me a bit more area of hit and I feel immortal to mobs so I haven't felt the need to change it yet.

4L: Flame Golem --> Herald of Ash --> Blasphemy --> Flammability is what I like. After Flame Golem the other 3 are flex spots. Herald of Ash + Increased AOE, HoL and Curse on Hit, Blasphemy package, another CWDT with IC and Vortex. It's really up to you and what fits your playstyle.

3L: Leap slam --> faster attacks + Fortify. If you don't go the mitigation route you can use life gain on hit, mana gain on hit, WED, whatever you want really.

3L: Totem --> faster attacks --> AOE/Conc. Which totem you use is up to you, protector gives more attack speed which means more DPS, so I went with that. Warchief is great if you're looking for something to hit hard along side you or to clear trash that might be dangerous (exploding/lightning obelisk bloodlines). I think there's some merit to looking into devouring totem since we don't really need DPS; we need survivability.

DPS
Spoiler

Hideout

With a different enchant, optimized gear (opal rings), and to level 90+ I feel like this can hit 100/200k.

Fully buffed

Gear
Spoiler

Chest: I chose Lightning Coil. You can certainly go Belly, Astral Plate, or even Brass Dome if you really think crits are the issue (I don't, but I understand the thinking). If you go the Coil route it might be best to get a flask with shock immunity as you'll now be getting shocked more often.

Helm: I like Devoto's for the dex, movespeed, attack speed, and the chaos res is nice too. For enchant the BiS is Molten Strike +3 proj, I have to settle for AOE until the price settles.

Gloves: Spiked Gloves are great, the melee % will add about 1k DPS which is probably better than any enchant. Look for Strength and any life/res. Rolling these gloves with Essence of Anger is the best option as it will add X to Y fire damage to attacks. Additionally that mod is a prefix so it doesn't take from our insatiable need of res/str on gear. If you're a big fan of HoA rolling these with Essence of Hysteria for the added fire damage to socketed gems makes HoA pretty awesome for mapping, but probably too expensive to be worth it.

Boots: Alberon's Warpaths are great. We get % str, a bit of movespeed, and a little chaos res. The rest is junk. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for dropping these for some 30% MS high res/life/str boots.

Rings/Belts: We're looking to absorb the bulk of our res on these. Str/ele dmg/life are the other mods we want to look for.

Amulet: Xoph's is BiS, however a high STR amulet with fire dmg % and res/life would certainly be a close second option. Three rats is also a consideration, you'll get a bit more DPS on the tooltip over a Xoph's but I think Xoph's ultimately does more overall when you consider fire pen and Ash/Avatar.

Flasks
Spoiler

Wise Oak is, in my opinion, the best new unique from 2.6. Pen, ele reduction and ele res all in one flask. This is a mandatory flask for this build and pretty much any other elemental build.

2 life flasks with freeze/bleed, self explanatory. I use one Hybrid to replenish my mana for large packs. Sometimes I'm getting hit so frequently MoM ends up depleting all my mana and it makes it hard to attack.

I like armour and basalt and my other two, if you want quicksilver, Rumi's, or something else I would drop the granite before the basalt.

If you don't take the 40% ascendancy node, and go the route of 6% reduction, AS and Stun Immune on kill make sure you get a writhing flask. It will already help with life/mana issues, so it's a great option for making sure you're constantly killing vs bosses with no mobs.

Skill tree
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAAHcAecEswthDY0PqxQgFHUVIBVQFukZihm0Gj4c3CKvJDckiySdKjgs6S2DMtE1kjboOFM6szwtPfxFR0d-Sn1KyFBHVkhX4lhjWK9br18_X9BiWmVNZlRnm2jybqpvO3XLdud343fleA17w4Kbg1-DzITFhNmFMoV7hmCGs4d2iq-Mz48akBGXBphXm7Wfy6IApMKnCKcwqW6uPq9stfK3Pr02vqe_CMAawGbDOsSixq7G2NN-2CTYvd0N35jhc-RR6mLr7uw47SDvDu968B_yL_ZI9qP4X_4K

I'm only lvl 83, but my plan for 90+ is to take the rest of MoM (testing still) acc/AS nodes near Born to Fight/Sanctity, continue climbing north of Vaal Pact until I get to the 10% life, and then take life nodes wherever else I can. Once I fix my res I can drop diamond skin and possibly sentinel + jewel spot for more life or a more life routed jewel slot.

Some nodes that might seem questionable:

EO over RT. I've tested both, RT was better when I was only at 10% to crit, now that I'm hitting crit chance from multiple angles, it's up more and the DPS difference is about 7k. No question.

MoM: Following the mitigation path MoM seemed like a great inclusion. I weighed the mitigation from the mana I'd net by taking the nodes behind MoM vs health nodes, and from the basic math MoM nodes won out. It effectively nets us an additional 200 health via mitigation.

One very important thing to note is you will need to change your play style slightly if you take MoM. Leaping into a huge pack will sometimes cause you to constantly get hit and your mana will constantly deplete. You will stay alive for a while from the CWDT, but it will feel clunky and scary. This is especially true with Shrine packs that tend to be a bit larger. I started leaping towards the outskirts and it works just fine.

Leveling
Spoiler
Whatever you want until lvl 28, at which point BLS will carry you all the way through A3 of Merc. At A4 Merc and early maps I would use Sunder or Ground Slam (Sunder is better but mess AOE) until you can gear into MS and not die.

Bandits/Ascendancy
Spoiler
40 life, point/AS, point

Pain Reaver --> Cloaked in Savagery --> Crave the Slaughter --> Aspect of Carnage in that order.

Rite of Ruin is a more safe option over Aspect of Carnage. I do not think it's worth giving up 40% damage, but it's certainly an option. I think I definitely take Rite of Ruin in HC, but this build isn't really HC viable anyways.

What can't this build do?
Spoiler
Not sure yet! Below is what I've done, how it went, and what I intend to do.

Atziri - Easy. Just dodge mirror and flameblast and you're good.

T10-T15s - No issues aside from the occasional rippy mod. Vulnerability and ele weakness always feel the worst. Ele weakness can be mitigated with purity of elements in a flex spot.

Uber Lab - Izaro was easy, just face tanked the whole time. Traps are rough for vaal pact, I'd suggest bringing a couple regrets in case you come across a bad trap area, just respec out of vaal pact then back in for Izaro.

Minotaur - Deathless

Hydra - Still need to do.

Chimera - Boss deathless (died twice to mobs, typical)

Phoenix - Still need to do.

Shaper - Still need to do.

Uber Atziri - Still need to do.

Videos
Spoiler
More to come, all Guardians, Shaper, Uber Atziri!

CWDT setup in action and difference in EO sustain with ICS and without: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=P0m5wbkLZjw

T15 Overgrown Ruin Bosses: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9Sx49mKWxF8

Corrupted UNID Minotaur deathless boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8Aottt68w

Corrupted Chimera deathless boss AND Ancient Reliquary key!: https://youtu.be/1Kba4jjDZis

Esh Breach : https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=mPJaaB_Dgok

Tul Breach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPJaaB_Dgok&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by seanxjohnson on Apr 14, 2017, 1:51:43 AM
Last bumped on Jun 16, 2017, 11:31:19 PM
Reserved
Your first paragraph perfectly describes my experience. I have respecced from chieftan and berzerker so many times trying to figure out something with this build. I will have to give your's a shot. Thanks for the post!
Simple solution you can use (and that I'm using on my own version):
Swap your fire pen for melee splash when clearing. You will one shot entire packs with the initial swings.

Also, I would recommend dropping faster attacks for conc effect (single target) / inc aoe (clearing).

You don't need to waste a bunch of slots for more CWDT :)
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
Zigrivers72 wrote:
Your first paragraph perfectly describes my experience. I have respecced from chieftan and berzerker so many times trying to figure out something with this build. I will have to give your's a shot. Thanks for the post!

I have a feeling a lot of people feel this way. All the forum posts I was reading was only talking about DPS, but no one was really discussing how to stay alive to do that DPS. Let me know how it goes and if you find any improvements!

"
zSavage wrote:
Simple solution you can use (and that I'm using on my own version):
Swap your fire pen for melee splash when clearing. You will one shot entire packs with the initial swings.

Also, I would recommend dropping faster attacks for conc effect (single target) / inc aoe (clearing).

You don't need to waste a bunch of slots for more CWDT :)

Great suggestions, I'll try melee splash for mapping.

Part of the reason I want the CWDT slots is to survive to get to the pack. We know we don't have trouble killing stuff once we can hit it, but we need to stay alive long enough to do so. We also don't really need the slots for anything else (at least IMO).
Last edited by seanxjohnson on Apr 12, 2017, 4:51:38 PM
Optimized gear a bit further and added videos of Minotaur, Chimera, and breaches. Will continue uploading as I do content.
your life is very low. ive seen molten zerkers with 1400+ str and 7k+ life.

i didnt check ur passive tree in detail, but thats what i noticed on ur gear:

6L: conc eff/inc aoe instead of faster attacks

i would use these flasks: life, basalt, (legacy) toh, wise, quicksilver/silver and get freeze immune and bleed immune. toh is better than armor for mitigation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppqfm3MUq7g
u can swap the quicksilver/silver for dying sun if ur leaping and not running for mapping. 2 projectiles and more aoe.
3 projectiles on helmet makes a big difference. when ur mapping with dying sun, 3 proj helmet and inc aoe in the 6L, u have 12 projectiles with 2 wildfire jewels. molten strike nearly feels like a ranged attack then. im curious what happens when i add melee splash to that setup^^

id definitely use fortify with leapslam. if u dont wanna run but leapslam around the maps id link it with blood magic in a 4 link (fastatt-leap-fortify-bloodmagic)

id put the cwdt firestorm/bladefall in 1 setup: like cwdt-firestorm-bladefall-ironwill

cwdt-ic is a must as well, u can use vortex or the golem in the cwdt as well. i think lightning golem provides more dmg than flame golem looking at the tooltip dps.

i wouldnt use devotos + lightning coil, but rares with life/str/res and u shouldnt use points for res in the tree then. u can get much more str/life.

ur rings are very budget. u should have life/str on every rare. 50+ str and 70-100+ life.

u should take arctic armour for even more dmg mitigation. u have only flammability+hoa. thats 60% mana reserved. if u add arctic armour ur @ 85%. if u use blood magic on leapslam its np.

blood rage and vaal haste are worth mentioning.

im playing molten zerker with ngahamus flame. brutus sprinkler has more potential, but is more expensive than the ngahamu version if u consider high end rare items. if u use the same budget ngahamus is tankier than brutus. if u use a lot of budget brutus is much stronger.

the ngahamu version im playing has less dmg, but more life. (60k unbuffed molten dmg @ 6 aps, but in comparison to blsp 20 firepen from the axe additionally. im at 7.7k life atm). i can facetank all guardians and ive never had problems to ranged enemies. im not even using a cwdt firestorm/bladefall setup. but i have more dmg mitigation and 7.7k life.

if u went the expensive and not the budget version u would see the real potential of brutus molten strike. well i know, not everyone has the currency to afford it (me neither), but if the gear was perfect, the zerker would rule everything.

this is the tree of a molten brutus player with ~ 1450 str and 7.1k life @ lvl 92, but hes playing the RT version: http://poeplanner.com/AAcAAPshCwB7xthYYz38jM_2SF8_FCDvDlBH5FHBBHloqW7AGm87eA218jWS2L134wHchNlHfr02ZU2-pxm0LYMVICzphrPdDVuvFHWkwod2Sn06s2eg459YrzbohmAirzhTducB56cwn8s6UryfGJEOPBRx-Ovz3Whl6hh2rM9-9zJ82XXL6mLZfIIH_o9N46ZXFE38S62N8kF311b6fyswfI19I_ZNkqOK-WOVzO0_FfAF-Zsm3UZjpxGBelNh6896lwYZisM6KjjEot-YYlqbtYTFJIsPqxa_JpVh4lVLjDbo1s3q_W5-3Xj5jbn4X1_QIZDqEL8IJDcW6ZhXAAAAAAA=

imho EO on ngamahu is worth it cause u neednt stack str like a madman. without RT u need at least 88% chance to hit imho. its really hard to get items with high accuracy, str, life and res... for the expensive brutus version EO is worth it, but otherwise its hard to get all mods and good mods on ur items. so the "real deal" brutus molten zerker would go for EO for maximum dmg, but it will cost alot.

btw its extremely expensive and unlikely to get but if u had a corrupted xoph's blood amulet with +1 to curses u can cast ele weakness manually in addition to flammability aura (only against big bosses ofc). shaper would melt like a snowball during summertime with that luxury setup! well, thats only theory...

well this is my opinion and im playing molten strike zerker 80% of this league :)
i had a lot of discussion going on in the other thread of the ngahamu zerker and thats where i wanna share some thoughts and my own experience.

however there are some things i like in ur build and i wanna try:
- the cwdt bladefall/firestorm setup although i dont die to trash looks rly cool, ill give it a try! it wont work as good on a ngahamu zerker, cause i have even less than 500 str, but ill try it at least.

btw i would really like to see a brutus molten zerker who invested dozens of exalts in action, but this person probably doesnt exist ^^

ok share ur thoughts with me :)

/edit: melee splash support doesnt work with molten strike, cause molten strike is already an aoe skill.

/edit2: path of building told me that atziri's disfavour = more dmg than ngahamus flame. adding the average molten burst dmg from ngahamus flame atziri's dmg is only slightly higher, but with atziri's the lifeleech is much better and the initial hit hits much harder.
path of building told me that added fire dmg sup = more effective dmg than fire pen sup except against guardians and shaper (dunno for uber atziri)!
Last edited by Freya98 on Apr 15, 2017, 8:26:53 AM
Nice BLS variant.

You might want to know that the tooltip DPS is for the melee hit, but most of the molten strike damage comes from projectiles. Spiked gloves only affect the melee hit, not the projectiles, so they don't have that great of an effect on the total DPS. Gripped gloves would be better, even though they don't affect the tooltip.

Another thing you might want to know is that most (all?) skills roll accuracy and crit a single time per cast or attack. This means that each time CwDT procs bladefall or firestorm, it rolls a single crit value total. This means that either all of those hits from a single CwDT trigger will crit or none of them will (ignoring some details about lucky and unlucky hits). If you're going EO, your strategy of having multiple CwDT spells and using increased crit on both of them is still a good idea for sustaining it, but the AoE aspect doesn't improve the chances of critting.
2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info