Advice needed for computer game suitable for 12-year-old

For my son's 12th birthday, I got him a computer (laptop), which I think he will need for school anyhow. At the store, I bought him a game to go with it -- RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, which I thought might be suitable and ok for a person who just turned 12. I had no idea it's 15 years old. After spending an hour scouring the internet for ways to make it run on a modern computer (it wouldn't out of the box), I got it to run for about 5 seconds, whereapon it immediately crashed everything. So fuck that. I want to salvage the present somehow, so...

Do you have any advice for a decent game that might be suitable for a person of his age which I might get somewhere without having to install Steam on his computer (which I don't want to do for a number of reasons)? Preferably something NOT like POE (no ARPG), yet something slightly more structured than Minecraft (which he does like and has already as the only other computer game he owns). Not a shooter, but not something purely cerebral either if possible?

Thanks much in advance!
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
Last bumped on Apr 11, 2017, 2:34:09 PM
12 years old is pretty old. I'm surprised that he doesn't already know what he wants (read: whatever games his friends are playing).

RCT2 is a fantastic game. You can purchase it (and many others) through GOG which gives you un-DRM'd binaries and custom built loaders. They specialize in older PC games exactly like this. So for the first part of the question, head over to GOG and peruse their humongous library.

As for style of game, I would recommend (J)RPGs. Structured storytelling but the player still has enough agency to make it enjoyable. Hard to go wrong with Final Fantasy series, Elder Scrolls.

EDIT: GGG forums ate my post ;_;
Last edited by pneuma on Mar 29, 2017, 3:19:41 PM
12 year olds love Minecraft.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
If he enjoys minecraft check out Trove, it's f2p and has an E rating.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Oh yeah, you can't forget Portal, Portal 2 and The Talos Principle. Those games will definitely be some nice brain exercises.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
"
onomastikon wrote:
For my son's 12th birthday, I got him a computer (laptop), which I think he will need for school anyhow. At the store, I bought him a game to go with it -- RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, which I thought might be suitable and ok for a person who just turned 12. I had no idea it's 15 years old. After spending an hour scouring the internet for ways to make it run on a modern computer (it wouldn't out of the box), I got it to run for about 5 seconds, whereapon it immediately crashed everything. So fuck that. I want to salvage the present somehow, so...

Do you have any advice for a decent game that might be suitable for a person of his age which I might get somewhere without having to install Steam on his computer (which I don't want to do for a number of reasons)? Preferably something NOT like POE (no ARPG), yet something slightly more structured than Minecraft (which he does like and has already as the only other computer game he owns). Not a shooter, but not something purely cerebral either if possible?

Thanks much in advance!

Final fantasy möbius my 12 year old niece loves it.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
I would very strongly recommend Factorio if he likes base building and problem solving style games. It's easy on the surface from start to finish with a surprisingly complex, but optional, underbelly.

Or for a very very amusing game, look at Crashlands by Butterscotch Shenanigans. I think this one requires Steam (or a tablet/smartphone). Steam has parental controls if you want to make use of them.

But regardless of what I think.. I mean, 12. Ask the manling? ;)
postal series are great games for his age.

j/k, I think hed like it, but since you wanted something cerebral:

Cities: Skylines
I think I would love Audiosurf and Spore if I were 12 again.
What about racing games? Rocket League is pretty popular.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info