[2.6] Martyr/Eye of Innocence Magma Orb - Set yourself on fire!

Work in progress for now - will update/tidy up as I finish of character and tackle some proper end game content.
Will try and record some gameplay if I can figure out how to do it!

Character is https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Carlovski/characters?character=novayek

Confusing name is because was originally going to make an EK Occultist.

Concept

I fancied trying magma orb, as the bug that stopped all of the chains being able to do damage got fixed and it has very good helm enchant (Which is still cheap as it isn't a popular skill) and threshold jewel. Also wanted to try out Martyr of Innocence, and been wanting to try a self ignite build for a while.
Original idea was to spec magma purely as single target and use a combination of cwdt effects and abberath's hooves for a passive runaround style for clearing. Didn't really work out in maps (I'm sure it's possible, but probably need to build more explicitly for it)

Pros and Cons
Pros
- Setting yourself on fire is fun!
- Really good single target, especially with slower projectiles. Need to test out against guradians, but path of building shows some crazy numbers.
- Decent clear speed once you get the hang of the playstyle.
- Almost capped block with minimal investment

Cons
- Lots of uniques needed. For a Kaom's build, life pool isn't huge.
- Hard to cap resists too. Need some resist jewels.
- No vaal pact, can't really face tank and leech through heavy damage.
- No movement skill and no fortify
- Relies on ignite. So problems against Phoenix, atziri and uber atziri. Probably possible with a gem change (life leech + ele focus)

Playstyle

Spoiler

Pretty simple. Spam Magma orb, keep your flasks up, try and keep up momentum so you stay ignited. The orbs have a bit of travel time so keep casting them and run in behind them. Once you get levelled up and have the helm enchant they go a long way, even without faster projectiles.
For bosses remember to drop orb of storms to curse and apply the -25% fire pen from elementalist.
For tanky bosses swap in slower projectiles and spam orbs on top of them. The overlaps plus the more multiplier will wreck them.

Gear and reasoning

Current Gear
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

Kind of the point of the build, so won't talk about alternatives.
Gives a huge amount of flat fire damage to spells, nice for abberath's if using, plus it's great for Magma Orb as it has 125% damage effectiveness. So Similar to having a + 2 staff, with the other bonuses on top.
On top we get freeze immunity while ignited and 100% increased fire damage if hit recently which both should permantely up due to our jewellery choices.
15% fire penetration on block. With the up to 34% block on the staff and the newly improved staff block nodes that's 46% block chance. Up to 66% with a non legacy Rumi, and 72% with flask nodes.
We don't use the melee damage, or really make use of the vengeance proc (If I only had a 6s5l I'd probably socket endurance charge on melee stun for some occasional passive charge generation)

Chest
Spoiler

Kaom's is definitely the best option. Will struggle to get enough life without, and get a bit of fire damage on top.
Belly of the beast is possible, but without much flat on other gear, will be a long way behind Kaom's.

Amulet
Spoiler

The other part of the 'innocence' setup.
Ignite chance, increased damage when ignited are good.
The real reason we use is that we take fore damage when we ignite an enemy, which in conjunction with Mokou ring, means we can get ignited.
On top we get fire life leech when ignited, saving us a link and meaning we don't need warlord's mark.

Rings
Spoiler

You need at least one of these.
Lets you self ignite, and the cast speed when ignited is great too. One is usually enough to keep you perma ignited in maps.

Other ring slot has a few options,
Another Mokou - more consistent ignites and cast speed. Not a bad option.
A rare, preferably opal ring crafted with fire damage. Can get life and resists then.
Essence Worm to run Anger (Nice spot to run vitality in for lab running too, actually, I might start doing this on swap)

I use an emberwake though

We can stack up a LOT of ignites with magma orb. This is probably going to be needed for t16/shaper.
Unfortunately we can't also run the taming, as we need a Mokous for self ignite. You can probably make it work in a different version of the build though.

Helm
Spoiler

The most important thing is the helm enchant.
Devoto's is a decent option, and what I use. Move speed is great when we don't have a movement skill and it gives lots of dex.

A rare would be fine too, and would give us much needed life and resists.
Hrimnor's resolve gives life and fire damage. The anti freeze mechanic doubles up with the staff though. Still an ok option though, but will struggle to find an enchanted one.

Gloves

Spoiler

Rares are the only real option here. Life and resists are the priorities.
Essence crafted gloves, for either extra fire damage to spells (Essence of Hysteria) or Added crit chance (Essence of Horror) would be neat, but would need a pretty amazing roll.

Boots
Spoiler

A few options here

Abberath's hooves - Fun for levelling, and the procs will do a decent amount of damage just from the flat damage and scaling from the staff. The ignite prolif and fire damage off strength is nice too. But no life/resists and low move speed.

Gang's momentum - Ignite chance, fire damage and fire res. Not bad, but probably best to just use as a skin!

Kaom's roots - Loads of life, which we need. Unwavering stance, which can be useful, and not slowed by tar etc. But no links, and no move speed. If you don't mind the lack of move speed then a very solid option if you can make up resists elsewhere

Rare Boots

Move speed, life and resists. Probably the best all round option.
The enchant is great for tanky bosses, other option would be the flat fire damage on kill.

Belt
Spoiler

Rare is the only real option. We need life and resists. A flask mod would be great and move speed if you can craft it.
Doryani Invitation would be ok, but you really need the life roll more than a bit more increased damage.

Jewels
(Items not linked yet , will need to desocket them!)
Spoiler

2 Inevitability jewels are essential. Fire damage, an extra projectile and increased AOE per Chain.

Then will probably need resists jewels to cap/overcap resists. I'm using life + resists jewels (One has a damage mod too) - we get plenty of damage anyway, life and resists more important.

Slightly a luxury item (In terms of opportunity cost, jewel is dirt cheap) but also using Hotfooted jewel for 15% move speed while ignited. Originalyl to make up for slow move speed on Abberath, but got too used to the speed so have kept it.

Flasks

Spoiler

Flasks are important

Instant life flask - I like staunching here.
Wise Oak - Important thing is to get fire res as your highest res. If you can manage to perfectly balance all your resists then even better for -10% taken of all elements (Obviously breaks if you use an elemental flask)
Rumi's Concoction - try and get best roll you can. Legacy even better.
Atziri's Promise - More damage and leech, this one is dropable if you prefer another utility or life flask.
Quicksilver - Without a movement skill, you want one of these.

Dying sun would be a nice clearing improvement if you can afford, but isn't really needed here.

Skill Tree and pointers/options

Current tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAQQHBLMOPA5cES0UIBRxGjgc3B8CIbAlvCcvKo0snC6UMtE09zWSNsU22DpYOtg8BTwtPvFEq0VHRX5G10kbSi5Mi0yzTeNQR1WuVcZWSFnzXz9mVGebaFhoZWjyavpxhXIPcql2rHyDggeCEIKbg1-DzIPbhXuJ2I8aj6aQVZD6l4WaO5_fogCmV6cIp6WsmKyqrj6xQrc-wGbE9sauz37QH9QH1YvXltgk2L3ZfNq520_cjd9t37Dfv-DD5FHqGOvu7DjsVe8O70vvfO_r8B_xbPMR8933Mvjr_gr-jw==

Notes on tree
Spoiler

A few thoughts behind my reasoning

-Blood magic. Magma orb gets expensive mana wise, and against bosses warlord's mark might not quite cut it. We also struggle a bit for life and the nodes behind blood magic help.

- No Explosive Impact/Purity of flesh? They are both decent clusters, but we just don't have the points. You get them very late game, or if you are happy to drop the Marauder nodes.

- Not much damage in tree at all. We get so much %inc from gear/ascendancy that it's not really needed.

- No witch AOE? I dropped this late on to grab flask nodes. Will probably put back eventually.

- No vaal pact? It's just too far. I don't actually like vaal pact in general, but it would probably help if we could get it.

-No endurance charges? If I had a good way to get them passively, I would. I'm too forgetful/lazy to use enduring cry.

-Staff Block? As we are passing the cluster, they are pretty damn efficient. A lot more so than the shield clusters.

Bandits/Ascendancy
Spoiler

Bandits
Oak(Life) - Kill All (point) - Kill All (point)
Helping Alira in Cruel for cast speed and Oak in Merciless for an endurance charge are both decent options too.

Ascendancy

Elementalist
Normal - Liege of the primordial
Cruel - Pendulum of destruction
Merciless - Mastermind of discord
Uber - Paragon of Calamity

It's the best ascendancy for this variation.
Berseker would be decent for a non self ignite version, and could user emberwake/taming, but that becomes a totally different build.

Gem Setups

Spoiler

Main skill
I've played with a fair few variations, and this is my current favourite setup.
Getting a lvl 21 magma orb is a big help, it gets an extra chain as well as damage.

Magma Orb - spell echo - faster casting - fire penetration - controlled destruction - Pierce/Slower projectiles

On a 5l, drop faster casting.
Options
- Inc AOE, In theory should help clear, and maybe help single target if can overlap more explosions. In reality didn't seem to help that much.
- Conc effect - if we can still overlap, it should be a big DPS boost. Might need to experiment more, maybe need the witch aoe nodes back and a dying sun.
- Increase burning damage - don't bother
- Elemental Focus. Don't use. Big tooltip increase but we need to ignite. Can use as swap vs Atziri/phoenix though.
- Faster projectiles - can be ok on easy, open maps. Can hit multiple screen away (Watch out for reflect!). Tougher content needs the overlaps though.

Cursing

Orb of storms - curse on hit - Flammability (I also put my flame golem in here)
Curses and triggers mastermind of discord.

CWDT setups

This is where there is a bit of flexibility. My setups probably not optimal, and probably don't actually do that much!

CWDT (lvl1) - Flammability (lvl 5) - Blade Vortex (lvl8) - Lightning Golem (max level)

This keeps up flammability against trash, which helps damage and ignite chance. Blade vortex can also ignite and helps us trigger elemental overload. I'd use an increased crit strikes or inc aoe, but I need a slot for the golem.

CWDT (levelled) - Firestorm (levelled) - Conc Effect (levelled) - Controlled destruction (levelled)

This probably does very little in the scheme of things, idea is to have some extra damage, ignites and ele overload chance. I may switch this for a vaal fireball setup which should help clear/pick off stragglers.

Map Mods

Spoiler

Ele reflect is basically a no go. Possibly might be doable with paragon of calamity and a sybils ring over emberwake, but I'd steer clear.

No life leech is basically a no go too. Could swap in some extra life flasks, but in general sell/re-roll.
Chance to avoid status ailments is annoying. Doable depending on other map mods though

No regen requires a bit more care.
Elemental Equilibrium hits damage pretty hard, be wary on maps with tanky bosses

And obviously watch out the the generically dangerous combos of mods (-max + added elemental and crits)

Last edited by Carlovski on Mar 28, 2017, 8:55:37 AM
Last bumped on Mar 27, 2017, 6:01:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info