Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Absolutely brand new at this...need advice

I have never played a game even remotely like this. I am not much of a gamer. However, this game has piqued my interest. How do I even begin playing...like how do I even create a character and begin playing with it?
Last bumped on Mar 22, 2017, 6:09:24 PM
Hello and welcome!

In order to actually install and play? Smack that "Download Now" button in the top right and run the installer.

In order to learn the game? Honestly, just pick a class you like the sound of and jump in with an open mind. This game has an intimidating difficulty curve, mostly just because it's very complicated and you need to know a lot of things to play well at higher levels. But you have plenty of leeway at the start to mess around and get to grips with the basics. Also, ask lots of questions! Plenty of people on all forms of communication (here, reddit, the Discord, etc) willing to help. Also, the Wiki is your friend.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Mar 21, 2017, 6:28:24 PM
Viper's got the right of it, really. There's a million things to tell brand-new players, but until they get a good couple dozen hours under them most new players don't have any idea what questions to even ask, or what any "be careful of..." warnings everyone else could give.

Jump in, start up, and expect your first few characters to hit a wall where they can't really progress any further. That is absolutely normal and expected of the new player experience for Path; the game is built by hardcorez for hardcorez, and it'll take a few face-first impact with the bricks for you to start catching the thread of it. If anything in specific is catching you up, then like Viper said. Drop folks a line wherever you're comfortable, someone'll sort it out.
Don't play melee.

Other than that, yeah what the others said. Your first few characters will be non-starters, don't worry about it. Just mess around, get your feet wet.
Everyone, thank you for your responses. I appreciate them.
you get to assign skill points in a massive tree.

pick as many life nodes and appropriate damage nodes as you can get for your points. If you manage that one principal youll probably do better than most of us did our first time through.

Other advice, do the obvious thing. If you pick the big fat dude who looks like he beats people up with big 2 handed weapons then use a big 2 handed weapon, grab the big 2 handed weapon damage nodes and beat people up with it. If you pick the woman with the bow then use a bow and grab the bow/projectile damage nodes.

Create a character - have fun - mess up - learn from your mistakes - start anew with more currency
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Maybe this guide will help you.
Spoiler
..or not :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Welcome to Wraeclast:

Here is a good series of beginner guides that will take you through the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4aZrsY9M5qAnolDbjLydS73doD2MtAcQ

POE is a huge game. The best way is to jump in, create a character and start playing. Learn, have fun, look up info in the POE wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki) and ask questions in the forum.

Once you have downloaded the game and created an account, go to settings under privacy and uncheck the "hide your characters" box. That will make it easier for people to help you.

POE is very complicated but also very rewarding.

Good luck and come back to the forum to post any specific questions you may have.

wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info