Confused about AoE changes

"
All sources of "Increased Radius of Area Skills" have been replaced with an increase to area

I read this that the modifiers will now affect area (pi*radius^2 for the whole circle) rather than radius. I also assume, that the radius remains an integer value.

now, how do we know how much to take to reach the breakpoints? I mean, Im perfectly fine with calculating the base area, then applying modifiers to it and then calculating the radius from it. But I can imagine some people having problems with that:).. another thing is that math stuff begin to get a bit more complicated in cases where the area is only part of the circle

Or does this mean we are FINALLY getting all the radius information (that can wiki makers use to get all the breakpoints), or some in game tool?

Or are we getting to the point, where "this is not your business, just put points there any you eventually get some radius increase" ? what brings me to this are some kinda "sloppy" descriptions on showcased threshold jewels.. "it can" quantifiers, "cold splash damage" without quantifier..

Or have I misunderstood completely?

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 23, 2017, 9:54:35 AM
Last bumped on Feb 23, 2017, 3:23:40 PM
It's probably going to be very obnoxious to plan around and confusing for new players. I mean I would certainly want to know the effect of my build choices on my skill radius so I will have to recalculate everything in the old system. Knowing the radius value is always relevant, for aiming if nothing else. Rounding can be a problem, since high investment can be lost at higher area values by rounding down.

The wording on the splash thing is ambiguous yes, no information on splash radius (assuming equivalent to Slayer value), and not clear whether only the cold part gets splashed, or all physical is converted to cold first.

"
Ludvator wrote:
Or does this mean we are FINALLY getting all the radius information (that can wiki makers use to get all the breakpoints), or some in game tool?

Interesting question. It might be the case, considering Blight is getting +1 radius at certain levels, that's +1 to what? We got weapon range so I suppose skill radius might be possible too, though it's a bit tricky for skills that have two values, like BF or Firestorm.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"the best" solution would be to make radius decimal. People would not need to care then (I would care anyways though:)). But I doubt it is technically possible
A quick calculation: let's say I have a lvl 20 blade flurry with a level 20 inc aoe gem, which is 58% increased radius. Old area is proportional to 1.58x ^2, where x is the base aoe radius. Assuming x is unchanged we can ignore it, so our increased area is 1.58^2 = 2.4964. So you'd need about 150% increased area to match this no investment performance in 2.6.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
zSavage wrote:
A quick calculation: let's say I have a lvl 20 blade flurry with a level 20 inc aoe gem, which is 58% increased radius. Old area is proportional to 1.58x ^2, where x is the base aoe radius. Assuming x is unchanged we can ignore it, so our increased area is 1.58^2 = 2.4964. So you'd need about 150% increased area to match this no investment performance in 2.6.

Considering most sources of AoE are getting buffed, getting over 100% might not be such a tall order.

I agree. I think the amount of change the above case would see would be pretty minimal. But those that are stacking as much as possible, like Templar + witch aoe and a carcass jack and an inc aoe gem and a dying sun will probably see their aoe go down.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Some quick calcs:
To get 50% more radius, you will need 125% increased area.
To get 100% more radius, you will need 300% increased area.
To get 150% more radius, you will need 525% increased area.
To get 200% more radius, you will need 800% increased area.

Diminishing returns are in for sure.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Ive always loved to exploit AoE overlaps, and must admit it can be scaled to ridiculous levels (thanks to exponential area coverage increase). So the nerf is probably reasonable.
"
zSavage wrote:
Some quick calcs:
To get 50% more radius, you will need 125% increased area.
To get 100% more radius, you will need 300% increased area.
To get 150% more radius, you will need 525% increased area.
To get 200% more radius, you will need 800% increased area.

Diminishing returns are in for sure.

Seems reasonable, that's the way the rest of the game works, after all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info