2.5 Flicker Ngahmu Raider, fast, fun t15 clears, Guardians down with easy gem swaps.

Quite similar to the successful and effective cyclone Ngahumu's builds but built primarily for faster map clears with flicker strike.

Clears all maps fast without a problem and I've killed all guardians deathless with a quick gem swap to cyclone.

The molten meatballs proc of Ngahmu's flame, paired with flickers absurd attack speed also goes far into solving one of flickers more frequent problems, single target damage.

Pros and Cons
Spoiler

Pros:
Fast t15 clears, doesn’t struggle with single target so map bosses aren’t a problem.

Fiery explosions filling the screen.

Flickering so fast you can desync with lockstep.

6k+ life, 45% spell dodge, 40% dodge, 30% evasion makes us decently tanky.

Getting the fun and speed of flicker with the end game capabilities of Ngahmu cyclone.

All breachlords downed with flicker (excluding chayula)

Modestly affordable, 6l belly and dying sun are the most expensive pieces by far. Rest of my rares I spent 10-30c (each) on.

100% phys to fire makes scaling damage very easy as elemental damage, fire damage, weapon elemental damage, physical damage, fire penetration, attack speed, projectile damage and area damage all scale different parts of the build.

Cons
Fiery explosions filling the screen and lagging your pc.

Flickering so fast you can desync with lockstep.

Randomly dying out of nowhere occasionally even with our decent defenses!

Sometimes flicker flings you face-first into a champion porcupine pack, which can hurt.

Videos:
Spoiler

T12 40% packsize Vault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRI42bIA2ec

T13 Gorge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzNn_gWprRs

T15 Abyss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2uLBsncsmI

T16 Chimera, first try using flicker on him but failed pretty hard keeping frenzy charges up in add phase, switched to cyclone and easily killed him without further deaths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBdzV3av7wU

Passives

Required Uniques
Spoiler

These items make the build. 100% phys to fire, fire penetration, 20% more fire damage from the amulet debuff, and very noticeable damage from molten burst. Don't leave home without them.

Recommended uniques
Spoiler

A 6l belly is an excellent all rounder chest for this build, perfect form/kintsugi could be better however they would require (gasp) 5-off colours for the most optimal damage setup (perfect form especially is great as you are not technically moving while flickering, giving 100% arctic armor uptime). Belly however is just a solid all rounder that doesn’t require a 5k chrome investment.

+1 frenzy Atziri’s Step, as I value spell dodge a lot on this build, the life is nice and there’s not really many other uniques that are worth wearing instead of rares. The frenzy charge is a luxury and not essential.

Rares
Spoiler
Rares:
We need 97 intelligence to use our level 20 blue gems. I grabbed one +30 int node to reduce this to 67 int required on gear. You also have access to another +30 int node if absolutely necessary.

Helm: Life/resistances. (int).
Gloves: Life/resistances. (int). Attack speed is not really needed, luxury only.
Belt: Life/resistances/WED (if affordable)
Boots: (if not using atziri’s step) Life/resistances. (int). Low movespeed is fine, or even no movespeed at all.
Rings: Life/resistances. (int). Added physical is very nice to get here.

Flasks
Spoiler
30% more damage, some defense and the knockback isn't frustrating for flicker

The additional area makes killing packs with flicker much more satisfying and fast. Highly recommended.

A life, a mana flask and a flex flask. Mana is needed as flicker attacks too fast for mana leech to keep up with. The third flask can be whatever you feel you need, evasion flask is good, I use sulphur for mapping and silver for guardians.

Jewels
Spoiler
In order of preference: Maximum life, fire damage/physical damage, attack speed, damage

Auras
Spoiler
I run blasphemy/flammability and herald of ash. This leaves a good mana pool for flicker to go wild with.

Grace or temp chains/blasphemy are good defensive options if you don't feel you need the damage.

My current gear
Spoiler

Gem Links
Spoiler

6l
Weapon elemental damage - Melee physical - Multistrike - Melee Splash - Elemental Focus - Flicker Strike.
I don't recommend using this build on a 5l. It's a huge dps loss losing any of these gems. I'd recommend following a different ngahmu build if you are stuck on 5 links.

Axe 6 socket
Elemental focus - weapon elemental damage - greater multiple projectiles - concentrated effect - fire penetration - physical projectile attack damage.

4l
Fortify - faster attacks - blood magic - leap slam

The other required gems to socket anywhere are
Blood rage - frenzy - herald of ash - blasphemy/flammability

I also run CWDT/firestorm for a lazy way to help with single target frenzy generation, but vaal lightning trap/inc duration could be just as good if not better here. (definitely better for guardians/shaper)

Cyclone gems
Spoiler
Flicker > cyclone, Melee splash/multistrike > added fire/melee on full life (or fire penetration here if you don't like this gem), elemental focus > concentrated effect. I've killed all guardians deathless with this setup without problem, and I'll be trying shaper soon.

Bandits
Spoiler
Oak/Oak/Kraityn

Ascendancy
Spoiler
Since we’re not always at max frenzy charges I didn’t go with Avatar of the Veil.
Avatar of the Slaughter > Avatar of the Chase

Helm Enchant
Spoiler
+9% flicker damage per frenzy charge on helm is incredibly good (81% flicker damage with 9 frenzies), but very hard to purchase on anything that isn’t a devoto’s/hubris. Devoto’s is pretty subpar for this build as we don’t need the dex, attack speed or movement speed from it, and we can't wear hubris’ as they require 150 int.
The enchant isn’t strictly necessary anyhow, I don’t have it and this build clears map very fast without it.

Edit: added levelling trees.

Last edited by barry_guy on Jan 21, 2017, 11:42:35 PM
Last bumped on Aug 7, 2017, 12:32:03 PM
Looks really fun, i'm gunna try it out! Question though, did you level as a bow? Or how did you level efficiently? Also, how is this for uber lab farming?
Last edited by Nowlech on Jan 21, 2017, 7:01:20 PM
"
Nowlech wrote:
Looks really fun, i'm gunna try it out! Question though, did you level as a bow? Or how did you level efficiently? Also, how is this for uber lab farming?

I level with a roulette of different two-handed weapons, limbsplit at 13, Quecholli at 22, Geofri's Baptism at 27, you can buy all these for an alch. Most helpful however is The Cauteriser at 40. It's 10c currently which is pricy for a leveling weapon but gives absurd damage for level 40 (more than Kaom's primacy) and will easily carry you till Ngahmu's.

For skills I use frost blades > sunder (end of act 1) > lacerate or flicker once multistrike is available in act 5. Blood rage + frenzy should provide enough charges to sustain at this stage for flicker though the mana cost can be rough, so I go with lacerate if I don't want to spam mana pots.

As for uberlab, I don't really like the izaro fight as flicker. You can jump onto things you don't want to, like fonts and portals if you're going for extra keys, or just wind up on a trap after killing a skele add. It's perfectly fine as whirlwind though, just make sure you're careful with your whirlwind timing to dodge his slams. Uber-izaro can easily one-shot you if you don't dodge his telegraphed moves.
Last edited by barry_guy on Jan 21, 2017, 11:16:21 PM
and if you cant get a a 6l belly what do you recommend taking off?
"
shawn412 wrote:
and if you cant get a a 6l belly what do you recommend taking off?
Elemental focus. But it's a lot of dps to lose.
do the gems in the axe need to be linked i mean their whole purpose is to support the proc on hit right?
wont they work even if its not linked ( i know its a dumb question but i cant get my mind around it )
"
Seerhona wrote:
do the gems in the axe need to be linked i mean their whole purpose is to support the proc on hit right?
wont they work even if its not linked ( i know its a dumb question but i cant get my mind around it )

doesn't have to. just need to be 6 socket, makes it technically a 7L molten burst.
Last edited by mackyboy026 on Feb 19, 2017, 12:32:42 PM
Hi OP,

can you post your damage stats/tooltip please. i am currently working on a flicker ngamahu raider too, but i am following a build for cyclone(aggnog's cyclone raider). I find your build more interesting and appropriate. i am definitely following this thread. thanks alot.
what do you think about using it as a league starter withot the uniques? could you try some cheap yellow items and see if you can farm dried lake?
Hey barry_guy.

You seem to be the only one one that I can find doing Ngamahus flicker. I LOVE the idea. Currently I have a little bit of a dilemma. I am currently having major mana issues and have had to deviate from the given trees to get leech on the tree to sustain. I have found that i have been running into trouble with frenzy generation.

I have managed to get my hands on a +1 to curses Xophs blood. Would Poachers mark be worthwhile running or would it be better to go for warlords mark? If i do go for WM what should i do about the frenzy generation?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info