Why the @#!% did I "upgrade" to Windows 10

Sorry for this diary/blog thread, really needed to vent

Everything used to work fine, I was comfortable with my stuff, I just complicated my life for nothing, even if I revert to 7, it's too late

-my Ps3 gamepad doesn't work anymore and I can't get it to function without doing some extremely complicated crap, not knowing what the hell I'm doing, probably fucking something up

-the photo viewer that comes with Win10 is shit and I had to download the old one from 7, now it works fine but it's out of place

-the detail pane is now on the right side of a window and you can't put it back down, takes a lot of space for nothing, can maybe fix it by downloading "OldNewExplorer", trying to reshape the new like old for christ's sake

-in some cases, can't make shortcuts on desktop anymore, like for task manager or control panel, need to pin it to taskbar, can't make a shortcut at all for "this PC" (used to be "my computer")

-"search" is no longer in the start menu, it's in its own "Cortana" menu, a fucking shitty AI that's made to sound like a person, WHY

-when you put a file that has the same name as another one in a folder, before, it just warned you that a number in parenthesis will be added, then you confirmed or cancelled. Now, it asks you to compare the files and you have to select both, only then you can confirm or cancel, adding two unnecessary steps

*the following is not about Win10 but me being a idiot

-I use a SSD and a HDD, thought that all my important stuff was on the HDD but I fucking forgot about some things and now I wiped and made a clean install of Win10 on my SSD, I lost some stuff, like all my Logitech G13 profiles, don't remember how I set up my controls for Path of Exile, will have to figure it out all over again. Probably lost my tags for TagSpace, lost the "ignored groups" for Visipics

-I install my games on the HDD, the SSD is really only for Windows and important software that won't get uninstalled, however, some games and lesser softwares don't work anymore, including PoE

-when pressing "alt + tab", it doesn't show the desktop in the list anymore

why the fuck did I do this,

the computer and games will run better, not it fucking won't, it already ran fucking fine

newer games won't run on 7 anymore, whatever, new games suck unless they're retro or indie

in 2020 7 would stop being updated which means it will be vulnerable to new viruses and shit, still unsure about that
Last edited by Coal48 on Jan 21, 2017, 8:48:06 AM
Last bumped on Jan 30, 2017, 1:18:04 AM
You didnt even mention the microsoft spyware that watches everything you do, the increased size of the os, or the slower performance.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
for disabling win10's "phone home" features and the cortana service sending all your stuff to microsoft all the time you need to buy the enterprise version.

too expensive for me. there is no need to upgrade just now as win7 still works fine and according to chris there is no difference in directx 11 support when running win7 or win10 and will no in the foreseable future
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
SkyCore wrote:

didn't notice any slower performance, so far feels the same
don't remember how large 7 is but as OS evolve it's expected they get larger right?
as for the privacy, don't want to get into a discussion about this but I don't really care

"
vio wrote:

I actually have the enterprise version, don't think I want to go out of my way to remove Cortana, yet

oh but I can play with DX12 now, woooo (sarcasm)

thanks for reading my crap, you guys didn't need to bother though
I did a clean install with windows 7 then to W10 and everything was ok until the first cumulative update.

It failed.
So I tried a manual install and it appeared to work. Then came the next "cumulative update" failed again. The manual fails now as well.

It just keeps trying to update behind the scenes slowing my machine to a crawl.
So I turned off the Windows update service to at least make my pc usable.

I moved off anything of a personal nature to a flash and hdd drives as a backup and storage. I already had most of my personal files already done that way.

I don't know if I want to do a clean install yet again.
If I remember correctly when I reinstalled W7 the only available update was W10.

It's too bad, I liked W10 but it's not worth it now.

Does P of E work on apple yet?

Installed it for my neighbor recently, took me a good while to shut down all the unnecessary crap but once I did it worked like a charm. Ended up much better than 7 on his trashy old rig but you really need to roll your sleeves if you want it to behave. It's really too bad, the core of the system is very solid but the bloat...

And shut off the updates for god's sake until something explicitly calls for one, you don't want to be their lab rat.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 18, 2017, 5:35:56 AM
There's a reason I still use Windows 7, even on a brand new PC I built for Christmas 2016.

And I keep my workplace on Windows 7, about 50 systems. At least until 2020.

Windows 10 is fine for most consumers, but do a clean install, don't do the upgrade. If you do the upgrade, you'll want to install new drivers of everything (don't rely upon Windows to have the best drivers installed).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Oh well tought it would be a public service to share this here:

http://www.getblackbird.net/download/

For privacy and so on it's pretty neat :) Do not give it a try before backing up everything first.

Enjoy
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Jan 18, 2017, 5:44:28 PM
I did clean install of w10 on my new pc, did turn off all that crap and removed what I could. Installed all drivers my self And is running nicely so far... ;)
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
Lol, dont install this crap to begin with. :P

Here have a pity cookie.^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info