Punishment curse bug

Hello, I've been running some tests with the Punishment curse and came to the conclusion there is some very inconsistent interaction with "hit" part.
Basically Punishment does not grant you the buff when the melee hit is blocked. This is inconsistent with all other interactions with "hit" not caring if the hit is blocked or not. For example vengeance, which triggers when you are hit, no matter if the hit is blocked or not.
Last bumped on Jan 18, 2017, 8:58:26 AM
Why... why would you move this from bug reports?
Maybe because this is a very low effort post for a bug report? Try to provide something more than anecdotal evidence, like a screenshot or short video of a monster proccing Vengeance but not proccing Punishment with the same hit.

"
Zed_ wrote:
Maybe because this is a very low effort post for a bug report? Try to provide something more than anecdotal evidence, like a screenshot or short video of a monster proccing Vengeance but not proccing Punishment with the same hit.

What anecdotal evidence? I'm not talking about something that like randomly happens that I can't reproduce in the past.
I tested it with a fullblock character with 1 mob. Mob was able to proc Vengeance and reckoning at the same time, so hit registers even when blocked (which is already known). Mob was always cursed by punishment and would only apply the buff when the hit was not blocked.
I don't have evasion due to unvawering. i use Vengeance as example because it has wording in same vein, "counterattack when hit" "grant X on melee hit". I can't test right now, but can attest to other effects that rely on being hit do not care about it being blocked or not. Punishment is the only mechanic relying on "hit" and not working on blocked hits.

I mean they could at least let me know I needed to give more info. I could make a video of it but because it's not really a hard to reproduce effect that's pretty straightforward...
Last edited by lolPLSiGOTthis on Jan 17, 2017, 4:16:44 PM
You don't get Punishments buff when blocked. So, not really a bug.

It may be counter to everything else etc, but that's best put into the feedback forum where it belongs if you want something changed.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jan 17, 2017, 8:32:13 PM
"
Punishment does not grant you the buff when the melee hit is blocked. This is inconsistent with all other interactions with "hit" not caring if the hit is blocked or not.
No it's consistent with other hit effects, which follow the base rule that blocking prevents on-hit effects from the attacker, but not when-hit effects on the defender. The buff is caused by the cursed attacker, so is prevented.

This is correct behaviour, so not a but.

However, the buff from Punishment has already been brought up as something that might deserve to be made an exception to this rule (and thus become inconsistent with other effects), and I believe the current plan is still to make that change in a future patch.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 17, 2017, 8:24:19 PM
Ah this makes sense. I didn't look at it from this perspective so to me it looked like the interaction of Punishment and Vengeance were the same. Thank you for clarifying.

Also nice to hear there are plans to make an exception for it. I hope there will be some consideration on whether to keep the limitation of only melee attacks applying it as well, last I saw community was in consensus of this being the limiting factor in this curse being viable.
Last edited by lolPLSiGOTthis on Jan 18, 2017, 8:58:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info