The Devaluation of the economy - Poe in flames

I bitch alot... Going into this league I had my same old mind set. Do what I could to get what I could. A bit of a self found purist. This is hard to pull off when a week in you see guys that are already fully geared in top end stuff.

I already was warned about mentioning other methods of getting gear so i'm going to call it magic. Alot of folks rely on others to farm for them and they acquire stuff by "Magic".

This has trashed the economy. This has trashed the league.

How can I compete with a horde that runs 24/7 providing "magic" services? I cannot. They will get the drops. They will get the currency. They will get the Chuyula breaches.

By now I would already be in standard pissed off as usual...

Then I thought about it and found the benefit. The devaluation of the economy means there is a ton of cheap stuff. So I stopped trying to make 6l's and just purchased them. Same for everything else. In game currency not "magic".

Run an MF build and buy your stuff... Breach has become a much nicer league... I'm not stressed by trying to compete in an arena I cannot compete in.

The economy is Trashed... Just need to embrace it.

NS

Last bumped on Jan 16, 2017, 5:57:32 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
So are we not allowed to talk about RM...er...magic ways of acquiring gear?

That's... interesting

This game seems to be designed to make trading between players the main way to acquire loot, considering you could probably play 3 years without a GG item drop, and leagues don't last but 3 months, yet the games difficulty is clearly tuned to require GG gear... so clearly the intent is not for you to FIND gear. Ofc such methods have always been the way that people with more money than time have evened the odds with players who have copious amounts of time to play.

I mean in the MMO side of online gaming real magic transactions are basically taken for granted to the extent that most MMO's have taken steps to take away the magic peddlers market.

In EvE online you can trade MTX to other players for the games currency, which directly undercuts the real magic transaction sellers. In LOTRO and Dungeons and Dragons online they did the same thing and the chat spam of bots like "love poe" which were rampant, are all but completely gone these days. Literally it's a freakish thing to see spam anymore, so much so in fact that when I jumped into POE it was surprising to see chat spam. Like; oh hey that's a thing? Nostalgic though it is I didn't miss it.

You are right to take the strategy you have, it's naturally what everyones going to tell you: it's not a competition, just play the way you want. Ofc it's not actually that cut n dried in POE, is it?
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Jan 15, 2017, 2:58:29 PM
They chose exactly what you talk about when they decided to make a game where all can be traded. There is no avoiding it with free trade of best items. Trade will always be more efficient than playing yourself when the system is like that. Always, it is an inherent quality of it.

Let me tell you a bit about downfall of D3..

So many raged at AH/RMAH - but in reality it was something else that caused it. These factors here were some of the major: Easy level cap(so don't need to spend time at max level to farm, just watch AH for the best way to gain power), Best items tradeable, everyone wanted pretty much the same stats on items(so bad itemization/characterization in d3 vanilla). Also auctions that were timed disrupting lives, making people get up and night at wake their girlsfriends etc just to win the auctions - ultimate slaves to trading.

Literally you needed to use AH to get to the greatest heights of power - same as in PoE - this is because best items are tradeable.

However in D3 it was much worse because everyone wanted the same items and also at max level there wasn't any reward for continued play like here where the last 5 levels take a hell of a long time. In PoE there is a much much greater diversity of items/stats being used as result of superior itemization and characterization. That however will only diminish that effect of everyone needing to use AH to be the best.

However, the AH itself was not the culprit of D3 downfall. It just brought out the flaws in the system. In PoE we have a similar scenario because the best items are freely tradeable, you must play the economy to optimize your character progression. Barriers to trade can be erected like they refuse to have automated trade in PoE, or in D2 we had extremely bad trading and/or ways to find trades. That in my opinion is no solution, to attempt to hide things i like personally to find the true solutions and not just cower it up.

Luckily we have far more things to distract us in PoE than D3, like getting level 100, before we realize that in the end it is not realistic for us to get the best stuff without trading heavily or otherwise doing whatever we can to earn the most economic power compared to other people so that we can buy the things we want.

Games with best items being freely tradeable will always come down to that, and they have to balance the game accordingly, else it will be extremely easy to get the best stuff by trading, at the price of everyone else who prefer to play the game over trading/economy thinking.

Did i mention.. bound items is the only realistic way to combat RMT.. no scratch that, to combat pay2win at the highest levels of competition.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jan 15, 2017, 3:25:22 PM
RMT is not the only thing that has caused the total devaluation of basically every single item in this game. The fact that it is easier than ever to access everything (Diviner's boxes, Cadiro, etc.) are just as culpable in the decline of Shavs from 50 ex to 5 et al.
U MAD?
The economic frustrations in this game can really add up especially in a league.

One of my bigger ones is laz. Someone equipped by " Magic/P2w " waltzes through while my econo wearing purist character has to bleed.

Playing an Econo character is just plain painful.

But like I said... If look for the deals the trashed economy creates it makes it alot easier.

One mans trash is anthers gold ( Chaos ).

I got my Shavs after a lucky drop. Only took 3 years.

Ns
Honestly for players not investing too much this is way better. Because their income didn't change much, if they don't actively sell a lot of items they aquire most currency by dropping or vendoring. Which means they get a lot of chaos, jewelers and also a bunch of chance orbs. Usually this currency was worthless to get anything decent, nowadays you can buy most uniques for a few chaos and even a few of the T1 uniques aren't valued in ex anymore, it is essentially only Shavs, Astramentis, Heretics Veil and gated drops like Starforge or Headhunter that have high prices a bit into the league.

For someone who only buys the items he misses this is a good thing, because while he will likely get a few chaos and even a few ex every once in a while he would never be able to get 50ex. And the reason why people get insanely rich insanely fast isn't magic, it is the uber lab. Early on the stuff you can get in there is incredible valuable, the same goes for early Atziri Farmers.

And if you earn multiple exalts a day by just selling those items you are geared out very fast.
"
Nightstone13 wrote:
Someone equipped by " Magic/P2w " waltzes through while my econo wearing purist character has to bleed.

Playing an Econo character is just plain painful.

I always played PoE mostly "self found" and "self crafted". (why are there even words for that and not for not doing this?!)

And let me tell you, it has never been this cheap and easy.

The times where you needed expensive and rare items to faceroll content are long gone.
Perception is reality.
Also, this thread kind of reads like... People who have good stuff or wealth all must be RMT'ing. Which is ridiculous. I know some very very wealthy players in game. They have figured out how to make currency legitimately. The best part, and the part I think people who complain about economic disparity, or who suggest that wealthy players must be RMT'ing need to remember is that the strategies wealthy players are using are accessible to anyone. There is no secret password. Take the time and make the effort to learn how to make currency. Literally every player can be wealthy if they make the effort. Some just prefer to convince themselves that those who are wealthy are cheating. Which is hilarious.
U MAD?
Dude I don't even know what hes talking about not even remotely in flames what the fuck.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Docbp87 wrote:
Also, this thread kind of reads like... People who have good stuff or wealth all must be RMT'ing. Which is ridiculous. I know some very very wealthy players in game. They have figured out how to make currency legitimately. The best part, and the part I think people who complain about economic disparity, or who suggest that wealthy players must be RMT'ing need to remember is that the strategies wealthy players are using are accessible to anyone. There is no secret password. Take the time and make the effort to learn how to make currency. Literally every player can be wealthy if they make the effort. Some just prefer to convince themselves that those who are wealthy are cheating. Which is hilarious.

agreed.

I was fully geared with a 6L, +1 curse amulet, 5 or 6 bis stats on every slot with good rolls, the exact uniques I wanted for my build with high rolls etc in the first week. No magic involved, wasnt even any flipping or scamming involved, I just played the game for stupid amounts of time, like 15 hours per day average for a week straight. So for some people that amount of hours would only be put in over 7 weeks, by which time you would think it reasonable to have that gear. Its no surprise, no paul daniels rabbit hattery, no forum gold digger antics, no virtual robot wars, just good old fashioned no life grinding.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info