What the hell is this "hardcore" feeling?

I always play in standard... I've been playing this for over 3 years. I have created so many characters that for a long time I got bored to keep on starting new characters. That's the main reason why I don't play new leagues. Just thinking about having to go through all 3 levels of difficulty again bores me.

Believe me that I have tried, but in a matter of a couple of hours I can not go on...

But for some strange reason 2 days ago a sudden impulse made me create a new character in Hardcore. Playing HC with the ping that I have is almost a lost case (over 150, I live in Chile).
It's illogical to play HC if you have a serious case of boredom related to story mode and high latency... But strangely I liked it. Marauder lvl 28 in HC, recently arrived in Sarn on normal difficulty, almost 1000 life and without any previous problem. How long will I last? I do not know. This HC feeling is new to me and I do not know if a death continues to feed it or completely kill it...

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
Last bumped on Dec 10, 2016, 1:55:44 PM
Just started playing HC this league. I feel more motivated to play than ever, but at the same time scared that I can lose it all in a moment of carelessness.
i started playing poe 3years ago like you, in standart, i had the mentality "why play hc, if i die i go to standart so i beter just start here"

5min later, my friend ses my blue flag and says "wtf are you doing. we have the MANs league and the pussy league, where do you wanna play?"

and puff, im playing HC for 3years, every time a char dies i just delete it and restart. i CANNOT play standar anymore for some reason, i just feel there is no point in playing there because for me, the point of the game is to "survive". and survive doesnt realy matter in standart.
I like hardcore because as a super casual it hurts a TON. So much that i've almost uninstalled several times. Can't get into standard unless i'm lab practicing (still cant beat cruel in practice and its how i lost my higher level to traps...)`
I got the "hardcore" feeling? on my first D2 hardcore death. Hooked and ruined from that day on.
Welcome to the dark side OP! Gratz on the transition. Pretty new to HC myself, with respect to total gaming years since D2, but I will never be able to look to SC now.

GG, don't RIP!
you have seen the light. Better late then never :)
At the moment you actually can play HC. Back i the 2012 you were dc'ed death, no signs of reflect, so you had to mouse over and read, / rooms dc /oos spam and laggy as fuck. After losing and deleting over 10 (or 95%) of your characters due to non own fault, you will eventually take a break, last league my hc went to level 72, in std now but still playable... Oh man back in the day a level 80 hc char. Deserved a fucking medal and a crown!
No Problem,
Exile
I actually like HC, but there's a problem with death in HC; it doesn't really feel like death.

What I really don't like, is that you just get transferred to SC league, as I don't feel like the character actually died and you sort of get to keep you stuff on it too.

Once I actually forgot that I'd been playing a HC character, through death and all, just because there's no "YOU DIED AND WHEN TO HELL" or something and you can just carry on playing.

They'll obviously keep the function of transitioning your character to SC, but I would really like it, if they introduced a proper "You got killed" screen. And maybe a "character stays dead, when killed" option on character creation(which just autodeletes you character and it's stuff when killed).
"
GoBBLeS666 wrote:
I actually like HC, but there's a problem with death in HC; it doesn't really feel like death.
And maybe a "character stays dead, when killed" option on character creation(which just autodeletes you character and it's stuff when killed).

Is called delete character. Or you mean you don't have the discipline to do that if you want to enforce that on yourself?

Sorry but this excuse is really bad. Current state encourages new players or long time standard players to try out HC eventually (or time to time), which is better for the longevity of the game.

If you think it's not punishing is because you haven't played and invested into HC for a long time and you are mostly a standard player with a standard mentality. There is nothing wrong with it, but for players which play mostly HC is a different mindset.

If you mean it would be nice to have a tag "This used to be a HC char", I don't think most HC players would be against it, but again, this would mostly affect casual-HC players (those who hop between leagues), not the 100%-HC players.
Last edited by knac84 on Dec 9, 2016, 8:39:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info