Isn't The Anticipation kind of like old aura snapshotting?

Step 1. put The Anticipation on weapon swap
Step 2. block an enemy
Step 3. swap to original shield like Aegis Aurora
Step 4. ????
Step 5. All bosses take 10% increased damage when you are a block build and own a The Anticipation
Step 5-B. All bosses take 10% increased damage if you are patient and own a The Anticipation

It's subtly different, as you do need to be able to survive at least a little bit while you have The Anticipation on.

But aren't you benefiting massively without having an item equipped? Which was the entire point aura snapshotting was patched out?

I'm guessing GGG is so content with the clear-speed meta that the idea of a "difficult boss" no longer exists in their mind (outside of, of course, one-shots).

Otherwise, as boss Life approaches infinity, required-ness of owning The Anticipation approaches 100% (if you aren't a Champion with that node).

Do you guys think The Anticipation is healthy game design?

EDITed to fix thread title.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Dec 6, 2016, 11:39:53 AM
Last bumped on Dec 6, 2016, 7:51:20 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
adghar wrote:
Step 2. block an enemy
Step 4. ????
Step 5. All bosses take 10% increased damage when you are a block build and own a The Anticipation
Step 5-B. All bosses take 10% increased damage if you are patient.

It's subtly different, as you do need to be able to survive at least a little bit while you have The Anticipation on.

But aren't you benefiting massively without having an item equipped? Which was the entire point aura snapshotting was patched out?

I'm guessing GGG is so content with the clear-speed meta that the idea of a "difficult boss" no longer exists in their mind (outside of, of course, one-shots).

Otherwise, as boss Life approaches infinity, required-ness of owning The Anticipation approaches 100% (if you aren't a Champion with that node).

Seems fine to me. Think of it like this. How many people do you know run Culling Strike on weapon swap, even though that gem will make your life easier against bosses? Culling Strike is almost 10% more damage.

I know I don't and the only boss I really run Culling strike against is Izaro.

The difference between this and old school snapshot was that snapshot lasts until you log out.
Last edited by Starxsword on Dec 6, 2016, 5:26:26 AM
"
Starxsword wrote:
"
adghar wrote:
Step 2. block an enemy
Step 4. ????
Step 5-B. All bosses take 10% increased damage if you are patient.

Seems fine to me. Think of it like this. How many people do you know run Culling Strike on weapon swap, even though that gem will make your life easier against bosses? Culling Strike is almost 10% more damage.

I know I don't and the only boss I really run Culling strike against is Izaro.

The difference between this and old school snapshot was that snapshot lasts until you log out.

What are you talking? Using a second skill (with Culling Strike) has nothing to do with snapshooting.
"
SuperMotte wrote:

What are you talking? Using a second skill (with Culling Strike) has nothing to do with snapshooting.

I mean, I see where Starxsword is coming from. Weapon swap with Culling Strike does allow you to essentially gain the benefits of an item without really having it equipped.

And yet, people never do it, because they don't really need 11.1% more damage against bosses in the endgame...

Clear Speed Meta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
"
SuperMotte wrote:

I mean, I see where Starxsword is coming from. Weapon swap with Culling Strike does allow you to essentially gain the benefits of an item without really having it equipped.

And yet, people never do it, because they don't really need 11.1% more damage against bosses in the endgame...

Clear Speed Meta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not for clear speed meta but I'm not weaponswitching for CS too... one reason is because I'm to lazy to recast my auras since I didn't wanted to waste a 4L on them when they don't need the links (my Enlighten is just level 2 and I don't need the benefit of the 3rd aura mana-saving).^^
Not really to abuse it you would need to constantly weapon swap, which is fine, you you want to weapon swap every 4 seconds godspeed, they let you swap for this exact reason.
Weapon swap is very clunky so I doubt people would do that for 10% more damage over what, 4 seconds?

Snapshots were an overhead thing after which your damage was locked in. Weapon swap is laggy and not snappy.

There are other items that let you do this. You can use weapon swap to proc maim or even unholy might or bleed, but at the end of the day the cost of swapping isn't worth it in all I've seen.
"
grepman wrote:
Weapon swap is very clunky so I doubt people would do that for 10% more damage over what, 4 seconds?

There are other items that let you do this. You can use weapon swap to proc maim or even unholy might or bleed, but at the end of the day the cost of swapping isn't worth it in all I've seen.

But Intimidate is permanent. Bleed, Maim, Unholy Might, last a few seconds.

I guess Clear Speed Meta says no boss kill should ever take more than 4 seconds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: To be clear: My mind has become accustomed to Long, Epic, Boss Fights. I never actually fought Yiazmat, but that's my idea of an Epic Boss Fight - strugglebus for literally 8 hours. Any type of permanent bonus in a fight is really useful there, because like you mentioned for aura snapshotting as an "overhead thing" - you pay a very small initial time cost, and then the enemy bosses's 11,000,000,000 HP is now suddenly only 10,000,000,000 HP. That makes a huge difference! So my Ideal Imagined Boss Fight involves fighting for more than 4 seconds.

Last edited by adghar on Dec 6, 2016, 6:17:49 PM
I didnt realize intimidate is permanent (derp, it says right there)- certainly changes things.

still, you need to eat a hit and get a block...and sometimes even with max block its hard to proc a block on demand.
The weapon swap function is there for a reason. Frankly, I think we need more reasons for using it.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info