New player in need of newbie advice

Kupo, I am Moogle a new player to path of exile who joined through steam. I play with a friend so we are always running as a duo. She is a "tank" for lack of a better word. And I went a ranger to try and put out some sort of dps. It is a standard set up for most games we play. We have been playing now for about a month maybe a month and a half. We both love the game but I have ran into quite the wall I cannot seem to get over.

The trouble I am having is a lot of the later content I cannot seem to dodge 1 attack touches me it seems to hit and I die. The final labyrinth and a fair few of the map bosses can and often do just 1 hit me I fall over, I'm ok with this on the most part as I understand I have gone a dodge/evasion build and that this relies on some luck swinging my way when I get hit which is not often. I hang out in the back shooting off screen a lot I use a siege ballista to help me keep damage up, if i have to move a lot. And Blink arrow/quartz if they ever start targeting me.

My gear is as follows please remember I am new so any obvious mistakes made may not be so obvious to me. Some items have not been crafted as I am hoping to get a higher masters rank first. Some slots are not linked but I am still working towards linking all

My Skill tree looks like this. I have a broad notion of what things I am taking next. They would be the avoid status ailments node under my dodge nodes, the evasion breaking off next to arrow dance. I would also want the bow damage node next to vaal pact and some more crit nodes near by

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAABeAdEF-QYjCC4IiQ2ND6sS8RUgFfAWvxmKGY4hdiSLJJ0k_SU_JpUqCyo4LOktTS9yMHEwfDH6MgEylDfUOdQ6Qkp9S3hRR1FMVUtbr11oXfJeRV9wX7Bh4mJaa5BtbG-ecFJyw3b3dwd7FH8CfyuDbYTFhrOGzocTh3aJ04wLjDaNv5LzlQWXBprxmyabjZu1nKSgn6GkpuCrC6vSrEev67IZuXzBM8M6xKLKSsqpzAbPetN-1CPWitnG2o3dDd2o35jh2-Of51TssO0_7YPvevaj-uv-yP_e?accountName=TheMoogle42&characterName=LeMoogle

It's probably a missmatch of what some may call junk but it serves me well in all other aspects, allowing my crit chance to hit 72% or somewhere around there while being fast enough and having enough dodge to get me out of some bad situations. I do not mind moving a lot and running around to avoid hits, but with some of the longer fights it is easy to make a mistake and move out of danger in 1 part only to land onto another attack the boss has made. again I understand that some hits will connect but it seems when we are doing certain things the hits always connect. is it just a case of applying more evasion or is there something I am missing?

Any information I am missing which is needed just let me know and I will be more then happy to add it. please don't just tell me I have messed up and to start a new character following some Youtube guide "meta" build. I would prefer to correct my mistakes then simply walk away from them. and I much prefer to learn as I go then to have my whole game laid out in front of me by someone else who has mastered the game, I would see little point in playing then.
Last edited by TheMoogle42 on Oct 26, 2016, 8:15:44 AM
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2016, 7:48:59 AM
you can't really build glasscannons in this game

you should look for around 50+ life in pretty much all your non unique gear

your tree looks quite ok, but you should respec some 5-10 damage nodes in tree for life nodes so that you will have buffer against 1 shots

edit: flask are really strong in the game atm. get atleast basalt against physical damage

you might want to change your primary attack or siege to the 5 link you have. at this moment it is kind of wasted with poor supports. then just add second split arrow to one of the 4 links with curse on hit + curse+ (faster attacks)

leech nodes near duelist start are also good choise for mana and life leech and you are right next to them

you have arctic armor supported with 2x gems that aren't really doing much for it. you could maybe add another aura without them and with mana leech nodes giving you sustain

edit2: didn't see you had grace on :)
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
Last edited by kaarelo on Oct 26, 2016, 7:40:57 AM
I use barrage on the 5 link which i tend to use on bosses, I have always saw it as split arrow for packs as it is wide spread damage and barrage for strong enemies as it is concentrated. I have played about with the supports and shall continue to do so

I have taken arctic armour out and place it with grace giving me more mana to play with but with grace as well I only have 25% free, I need next to nothing though so will look for something that will help.

I can change my life leach to life gained on hit which can still put me up to full when I'm in trouble but it would also free up a point on the tree to play with.

Edit:
I can move curse on hit to split arrow and focus on more power for barrage but it would remove and pierce until i can get better links would that be worth it?
Last edited by TheMoogle42 on Oct 26, 2016, 7:51:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info