Free trade, automatization and how it affects common people

"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Free trade sounds great, and between two or more countries with roughly equal respect for human rights, there isn't a problem with it which I can see. The problem is: not all countries are equal in that respect.
This is the crux of the issue as I see it too. Free trade deals should only exist between countries with equal worker protections. If the US demanded that of their free trade partners in underdeveloped countries, and Europe demanded that of their underdeveloped partners like the US then it could actually improve worker protections worldwide.
While that's true, I'm rather right-leaning on "worker protections." I'm against any legislated minimum wage whatsoever.

Basically, my thought process is:
1. Was force or the threat of force used to secure agreement under duress?
2. Was anything stolen, that is, taken without agreement?
3. Was either party fraudulent, that is, failing to hold up their end of the agreement?
If none of the above (such as agreeing to work for peanuts), I see no reason to prohibit.

Regarding free trade, the real question is whether there is a reasonable ability for victims to seek justice in a court of law. For example, if the plaintiff must pay filling fees but cannot sue for those fees if victorious, or must hire costly legal representation, that is a major barrier. Even having to pay filing fees up-front can be a burden to the lower classes - who has $60 to spare when you're living paycheck to paycheck? - and that's pretty common throughout the United States.

So I'm for free-to-file lawsuits were filling fees are paid by the losing party only after judgment. Or maybe even no fees at all - isn't that what taxes are for? That's a little populist, right? :P
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 30, 2016, 1:16:00 AM
The cheesy thing is poor countries owe money to the developed countries and demand they pay them back. So in order to pay them back, they have these free trade agreement and reduce trade regulations thingy. On one hand, people scream human rights violation, then demand poor countries pay them back which inevitably require them to export more by lowering labor cost and the standard of living.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 11:01:08 PM
Minimum wage can be abolished (I think Denmark does that, but it has strong unions); I'd rather have a NIT than a minimum wage.

About worker protections and enviromental regulations, I think that there is a trade off between offering protection and allowing work and growth. The same way you cannot have pollution being zero, you have to truly think how much labor can be protected before it starts to create other problems. Wealthy countries can afford better protections, so making other countries wealthy would allow better results for everyone in the long run.

Still, all of you make good points about the problems with trade (specially the legal side; there are things like the ISDS for that stuff, but people fear that it would diminish national sovereignty).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Sep 30, 2016, 8:18:25 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:

Minimum wage aside though developed nations have to ensure worker safety and injury compensation, provide insurance, and make other accomodations that ensure the health and safety of the worker. Then there are environmental protections that make sure someone doesn't make a quick buck by poisoning the air all of us have to breathe.

All of those things drive up the cost of doing business, and if you permit free trade with a country that doesn't require all of those protections then the businesses in the developed country can never compete with the businesses getting away with murder abroad.

These deals have provisions that ostensibly require all parties to follow these sorts of regulations in order to sign the deal in the first place, but in practice it doesn't seem to matter.

Just pointing out that trade sanction drop the standard living of the people living in the country and kinda counter productive. NeroNoah made a good point. People who can do anything about their working condition and environment are the ones with ability to deal with it and afford it; countries that are wealthy and prospering.
I had something of an epiphany just now. Let me break it down for you.

The economics concept of "there's no such thing as a free lunch" also applies to laws. In order for a law to be relevant, it must be enforced. Depending on the level of actual, deeds-not-words opposition to the law, the time and effort needed for enforcement varies. In short, laws cost money.

Consider immigration law. There are millions of illegal immigrants in the United States, and plans to deal with the problem partially are estimated in the billions of dollars. That money needs to come from somewhere. How does a set of laws which is so expensive justify itself? How can we actually enforce the immigration laws we already have without going broke in the process?

In order for a law to make sense, it has to make more money than it costs to enforce. The laws of a nation help to shape its economic systems and thus its level of prosperity; thus, it is possible for a law to justify its own costs and essentially turn a profit for its people. However, any law which costs more to enforce than it's enforcement benefits its economy is a drain on its people.

This is why the best government is strong but with a narrow set of foci, instead of one which has its hands in everything. Only a certain subset of possible laws justify their own enforcement costs.

In regards to regulating international trade, smugglers exist. As discussed earlier in this thread, granting additional rights/privileged to local labor encourages the movement of those jobs to foreign labor without this privileges/rights... and the greater the disparity, the stronger the incentive. Thus, the more privileges granted to labor, the greater the costs in terms of enforcement - regulating trade costs more.

And smugglers can be a determined enemy. Just ask late 18th century Britain about a bunch of Boston smugglers who fought their attempts to regulate trade... on fucking tea. Enforcement in that case proved completely beyond their means.

So temper your idealism, folks. Freedom very literally isn't free, and the more freedom you intend to grant, the more impossible you may find it to hold onto the more baseline freedoms. That which is most important in law must be prioritized and done well before moving on to relatively trivial matters... and there are going to be things government simply cannot sustain.

Past a certain point, trying to improve things for labor doesn't help, but instead makes things worse.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 1, 2016, 12:55:11 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I had something of an epiphany just now. Let me break it down for you.

The economics concept of "there's no such thing as a free lunch" also applies to laws. In order for a law to be relevant, it must be enforced. Depending on the level of actual, deeds-not-words opposition to the law, the time and effort needed for enforcement varies. In short, laws cost money.

Consider immigration law. There are millions of illegal immigrants in the United States, and plans to deal with the problem partially are estimated in the billions of dollars. That money needs to come from somewhere. How does a set of laws which is so expensive justify itself? How can we actually enforce the immigration laws we already have without going broke in the process?

In order for a law to make sense, it has to make more money than it costs to enforce. The laws of a nation help to shape its economic systems and thus its level of prosperity; thus, it is possible for a law to justify its own costs and essentially turn a profit for its people. However, any law which costs more to enforce than it's enforcement benefits its economy is a drain on its people.

This is why the best government is strong but with a narrow set of foci, instead of one which has its hands in everything. Only a certain subset of possible laws justify their own enforcement costs.

In regards to regulating international trade, smugglers exist. As discussed earlier in this thread, granting additional rights/privileged to local labor encourages the movement of those jobs to foreign labor without this privileges/rights... and the greater the disparity, the stronger the incentive. Thus, the more privileges granted to labor, the greater the costs in terms of enforcement - regulating trade costs more.

And smugglers can be a determined enemy. Just ask late 18th century Britain about a bunch of Boston smugglers who fought their attempts to regulate trade... on fucking tea. Enforcement in that case proved completely beyond their means.

So temper your idealism, folks. Freedom very literally isn't free, and the more freedom you intend to grant, the more impossible you may find it to hold onto the more baseline freedoms. That which is most important in law must be prioritized and done well before moving on to relatively trivial matters... and there are going to be things government simply cannot sustain.

Past a certain point, trying to improve things for labor doesn't help, but instead makes things worse.

Your perspective is money centric. But there is a deeper epiphany to be had when you realize that money is fictional. It is merely the traditional means to facilitate 'the sharing of resources'. It exists as a concept only so long as we believe in it. And immutably linked with the market is the fact that some organizations and indiviudals will disproportionately gain advantage over others. And that gain is currently not related to the benefit they are providing, thus the incentives are not correctly laid down to guide people to fields where they can do the most good.

The concept of money in current capitalist society is so fundamentally broken that any evaluation of monetary worth will fail to give true meaning. Instead one should evaluate things on the benefit they bring to society as a whole. How one defines 'benefit' is truly among the most important questions. I am of the opinion that in this context 'benefit' is the power to accomplish ones goals (perhaps through technological automation), enjoyment, and survival.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:

Your perspective is money centric. But there is a deeper epiphany to be had when you realize that money is fictional. It is merely the traditional means to facilitate 'the sharing of resources'. It exists as a concept only so long as we believe in it. And immutably linked with the market is the fact that some organizations and indiviudals will disproportionately gain advantage over others. And that gain is currently not related to the benefit they are providing, thus the incentives are not correctly laid down to guide people to fields where they can do the most good.

The concept of money in current capitalist society is so fundamentally broken that any evaluation of monetary worth will fail to give true meaning. Instead one should evaluate things on the benefit they bring to society as a whole. How one defines 'benefit' is truly among the most important questions. I am of the opinion that in this context 'benefit' is the power to accomplish ones goals (perhaps through technological automation), enjoyment, and survival.

To whose benefits? People support enforcement of laws that benefit them not those that don't. We aren't sharing resources, but rather we are hording them. If money is fictional so is property. Goods flow to countries that generate more wealth or has more goods for trade. Sound good if we can put resources to better use but in the end we would rather have these resources benefits ourselves.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
¡So temper your idealism, folks. Freedom very literally isn't free, and the more freedom you intend to grant, the more impossible you may find it to hold onto the more baseline freedoms. That which is most important in law must be prioritized and done well before moving on to relatively trivial matters... and there are going to be things government simply cannot sustain.

I agree, but still, I would have different conclusions about what's viable (those are more normative differences than anything). I know it's not possible to make things perfect (I did argue for allowing some questionable stuff), but I still would ask myself how to obtain the better outcome.

We do have ways to predict this stuff (for example, the Solow growth model allows me to predict that the China shock will allow growth in the long run) so it's a good idea to experiment with protections, regulations (and the inverse too, deregulations and labor liberalization). Without trying we won't know.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
SkyCore wrote:
Your perspective is money centric. But there is a deeper epiphany to be had when you realize that money is fictional. It is merely the traditional means to facilitate 'the sharing of resources'. It exists as a concept only so long as we believe in it.
False.

Money's representation is arbitrary, much like the shape of letters. There are practical limits to how we physically represent letters, and in the same way there are limits to how we physically represent money.

Could I say that words are fictional, they are merely the traditional way to share thoughts, words exist only as long as we believe in them? Not really. Fictional is different from arbitrary, and words are THE medium for sharing thoughts.

Money is a representation of productive time. It is not feasible for people to trade their work for other people's work without it, because it is a physical manifestation of human work which can actually be moved and transferred as an object.

And really, if you look at my earlier rant, I use money precisely to refer to the work and effort of people. Do you believe the economic concept of "there's no such thing as a free lunch" actually depends on money? It doesn't. Even in some weird currency-free barter economy, everything I said is true. Laws cost human time to enforce; just add "time is money."
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 1, 2016, 10:08:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info