irritated with this guy askin for donations...

alright here and there a few ppl selling candy bars time to time, yah yah i'll buy one.. But now today there was this high school kid that just really irritated me...

Usually you know, ppl asking for donations, state their cause, then ask if you would like to help out or etc.

Now comes this guy, and this is his sales pitch: the guy tells me their baseball team want numbers on their uniforms (whatever that means), and basically commands me to participate and help their team for community service (hours?idk) or donate. I personally have never been in that high school, nor in my high school times have I ever asked/sold anything of/to others as whatever we needed, we paid for ourselves; so while it may be cruel or whatever to some of you reading this, frankly to say, I really don't give a single Sht about their uniforms. Now I don't mind donating, but man the way this guy said it was just so aggressive and didn't not even provide the option of not contributing.

So I ask him what if I don't want to donate or take that community service option? And so without answering my question he becomes like "SO YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP THE BASEBALL TEAM? Why do you not want to help the baseball team?"

Now in my head I thinkin: "You Damn right I don't feel like helping ur team, not wit the way you pitchin it at least, now live N learn and GTFO my property!"

But instead I just told him that I wasn't helping because I wasn't interested in baseball. And then he gives me this "You wot mate?" look as if I was suppose have given a shit about his team or donated/joined for service regardless of having interest or not and leaves saying "okayyy..."

well that's the end of my rant...if you got kids/or are running fundraisers yourself, don't be like this kid, understand that people are not obliged to contribute to whatever cause that you've got going on, and the chances of them doing so will certainly be less if you are aggressive about it and providing potential donaters with false dichotomys (I mean hey it can work with some sweet old ladies or w/e, but not with me at least).
Last bumped on Sep 25, 2016, 2:36:41 PM
He'll stop doing it when it stops working on your neighbors.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
SIQI wrote:
"SO YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP THE BASEBALL TEAM? Why do you not want to help the baseball team?"

I don't give a fuck about the baseball team.

/thread

The guy obviously had zero social skill. When you're trying to sell something, or - worse - to get something for free, the most important part is making your target like you. The more unreasonable your request, the more charming you have to be. This means being smooth and friendly, not aggressive.

The aggressive approach will work into intimidating some people but only the weak-willed ones and statistically the results will be worse. It's no coincidence sellers and charity / promotional campaign workers are usually good-looking and cheerful young women or extremely slick men.

Anyway, this reminded me of a joke:

At a job interview:
"Tell us your greatest weakness?"
"I always tell the truth."
"But sir, I don't think this is a weakness?"
"I don't give a fuck what you think."
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 25, 2016, 12:56:27 AM
Next time just express your own aggression, that´s ok:"I think you´re being rude, that´s why I don´t feel like donating anything. Also I don´t take commands. I guess you would have better chances by asking more polite, but we are done here. Bye and good luck next time." Maybe he´ll get it eventually if he gets to hear something like that from different people.

And it feels good :-).
Last edited by Schmodderhengst on Sep 25, 2016, 8:56:38 AM
Our supermarket lets community teams pitch their donation questions. This one time a guy told me after I said I had no change that I was lying because he saw the cashier register hand me some. Because their were a couple of kids there I said nothing. Suffice to say (I know the supermarket mngr) the manager told him and his group to leave, exiled!!!

My damn money I'll choose when and how to spend it ☺️
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
This is such an unexpected post from Siqi lol.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info