Poison duration mechanics?

Hi,

for example if I run Voidheart my meele attacks poison.
1. for how much damage do they poison? (is it just based on my physical damage that I deal in one hit?)
2. if I run rapid decay with it - will the "reduced skill effect duration" lower the total amount of damage dealt or will the same amount of damage be dealt just in a shorter period of time? (I don't take into account the +% Damage over time ... I just want to know how increased/reduced skill effect duration and poison interact. more duration = more damage or more duration = same damage just in more time?)

Thanks!
Last bumped on Aug 30, 2016, 1:17:24 PM
"
willeke wrote:
Hi,

for example if I run Voidheart my meele attacks poison.
1. for how much damage do they poison? (is it just based on my physical damage that I deal in one hit?)

It is based on physical + chaos damage.

"
willeke wrote:

2. if I run rapid decay with it - will the "reduced skill effect duration" lower the total amount of damage dealt or will the same amount of damage be dealt just in a shorter period of time? (I don't take into account the +% Damage over time ... I just want to know how increased/reduced skill effect duration and poison interact. more duration = more damage or more duration = same damage just in more time?)

Cannot fully answer your question: I do not know if rapid decay will reduce the poison duration. My guess is yes but I have not tested it.

You cannot link rapid decay with all of the melee skills. They need to have some 'duration' tag or sth like it.

The poison damage per time is unaffected by how long the poison lasts. So increasing/decreasing poison duration will result in an according increase/decrease of the cumulative poison damage done. The name "rapid decay" is misleading there.
So in short: more duration => more damage (not accounting for the 1.4x multiplier on 'Rapid decay')

No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
willeke wrote:

Poison duration is affected by skill duration and its damage is affected by more damage over time, no mumbo jumbo there.

Let's say your poison deals 100 damage per second and lasts 2 seconds, that means it will do 140dps and last 1,7s with RD, which is only 20% more when you tally it up. However, RD has 'reduced' duration so the more skill duration you got stacked the less impactful will be, if you got both skill duration clusters poison will last 3,8s, if you use RD it will last 3,5s. If we use previous numbers the damage boost will be 30% more.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Aug 30, 2016, 4:24:48 AM
So in short: more duration = more damage; less duration = less damage
Pretty much, provided the target lasts more than 2 seconds, which is the case only for bosses and very tough rares. That's the catch, rapid decay is actually better than the numbers suggest because it doesn't have a drawback 95% of the time.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
Pretty much, provided the target lasts more than 2 seconds, which is the case only for bosses and very tough rares. That's the catch, rapid decay is actually better than the numbers suggest because it doesn't have a drawback 95% of the time.

(and Poison itself doesn't do anything 80% of the time, because white and blue monsters exist :p)

------
One thing worth keeping in mind with Rapid Decay: it only links up to Skills with a duration aspect. It'll work for Earthquake because it has the most busted interaction with Poison when it comes to Melee, but not with Cleave for example.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 30, 2016, 6:53:20 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

One thing worth keeping in mind with Rapid Decay: it only links up to Skills with a duration aspect. It'll work for Earthquake because it has the most busted interaction with Poison when it comes to Melee, but not with Cleave for example.

Oh, it's extremely busted. Because Less Duration doesn't actually lower poison duration for some inexplicable reason. All the other skill duration mods affect poison (including reduced duration mechs), but not Less Duration's multiplicative less duration mod.

(at least for now... maybe in 2.4 they'll fix that, and address delivery scalings for poison/ignite/bleed while they're at it)
Last edited by Shppy on Aug 30, 2016, 1:18:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info