CoC Quill Rain EK only - 80% of damage as poison damage

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuY_140h6YM build showcase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oucGe90CbGo T15 Core Malachai run w/ increased monster life. (Vaal Pact version)

Stats

Defences:

5050 Life
30'000 Evasion
48% attack dodge chance
54% spell dodge chance
Perma curse enemies with Temporal Chains
185 life regenerated per second
Almost instant life-recovery thanks to Life Gain on Hit (suffers single target, thus Vaal Pact version is better for bosses)
63% increased movement speed with Devoto's Devotion

Offence
750'000 - 1'000'000 dps
Amazing AoE thanks to large amounts of projectile speed

Tooltip screenshots

Defences

Defences without flasks, charges, or buffs.

Defences with flasks, charges, and buffs.

Offences

Offences without flasks, charges, or buffs.

Offences with flasks, charges, and buffs.

Tooltip does not account for curses, or poison, so it's pretty misleading.

This is simply the age-old CoC Quill Rain with a couple small twists to it. Nothing particularly original. Yet I've done a couple things that might peak the interest of some of you.
I played this build until level 90 in Hardcore Prophesy, where I (almost) intentionally ripped myself to Atziri by cursing myself with vulnerability and getting one-shotted by her spears. Her curse-reflection does not combo well together with this build at all.

But enough of that, let's get into the actual build.

First off, let's talk damage.
Each cast of Ethereal Knives does approx. 100'000 damage, split between physical, chaos, and chaos damage over time. The initial hit is around 17'500 damage, split between physical damage and chaos damage, and the rest of it comes from poison, which is chaos damage over time applied by the initial hit.
Depending on the size of the monster attacked and it's evasion, we hit a number of times each second, anywhere between 5 and 15 times.
At 10 hits per second, we end up dealing around 1'000'000 damage per second, assuming the enemy has 0% curse reduction. I'll explain how everything works in a later paragraph.

Why do you only use Ethereal Knives?
I had a simple choice, do I choose AoE skills, or do I choose projectile skills? I came to the conclusion at that time that projectile was far easier to scale as a life/evasion based build, thanks to the vast amount of projectile-damage nodes on the tree, drillneck, and pierce. In hindsight, Bladefall + AoE could've probably granted me a similar amount of dps, but I've made my choice, and I still believe EK is the way to go.

The second reason was a personal one. I like to be able to see what is actually going on, rather than to navigate my maps through a flashy lightshow. by simply focusing on EK, there is minimal amounts of lagg and almost no visual clutter to distract me from seeing dangerous stuff, which is vital if you wanna make it far in Hardcore.
This build has almost no framedrops, which is a good thing, in my opinion.

Alright, what gear do I need?
Before we get into the actual gear, I'll quickly explain how the build actually work.
Cospri's Will enables us to poison cursed enemies with EK, with poison being our main source of damage. We use a pair of curse on hit gloves, however, blasphemy can also be used for the same effect, at the cost of range and mana.

Mandatory chest:

Cospri's Will is both a build-enabling unique, and an amazing chestpiece all at once. There's no better choice. As a substitute, you can use Lioneye's Vision, and simply use the poison gem-support instead. It would probably be a good idea to alter the tree to fit this choice better.

Weapon

Try to get a Quill Rain with +1 Power Charge, although it's in no way mandatory to do so. Additional arrow is also a good secondary option.

Gloves:

These gloves allows us to not run blasphemy, and gives us a good amount of options in regards to which gloves to choose. A non-corrupted pair of Asenath's Gentle touch goes for less than 1c, so on a budget, those will do. Other good choices include rare-gloves with resists/life/accuracy, Facebreakers, Maligaro's Virtousity, Winds of Change, perferrably corrupted with Vulnerability on hit. If this is unavailable to you, blasphemy can be used as a substitute.

Boots:

Atziri's Step provide us with high evasion, Life, spell-dodge, and movement speed. Hard to choose anything else but these. A rare pair with Life/Evasion/resists/movement speed will do as well. Corrupted to +1 frenzy for maximum effectiveness.

Quiver:

Drillneck is easily best in slot, providing us with incredible amounts of damage. Corruption is not mandatory at all.

Helmet:

As for helmet, anything works. I just happened to get a hold of Devoto's Devotion with the enchant I needed, but I would much rather perfer a rare helmet with EV/Life/resists/accuracy over it. Rat's nest is also perferrable over Devoto's.

Belt:

Just get some life/strength/resists, and that's it. Whatever works.

Ammulet:

Hinekora's Sight gives us hefty amounts of accuracy and dodge, making us more effective against monsters with high evasion, such as bosses in high-tier maps. A rare-amulet with accuracy/crit chance/crit multi/life/resists/strength works as well.

Rings:

Life/resists/accuracy/strength/attack speed.

Flasks:

Pick and choose what you want for flasks. Personally I would recommend the Diamond flask to be in there though.

What about links?
(recommeded gems in bold text, alternatives in ordinary text.)

6L No.1:

Barrage
Cast on Critical Strike
Ethereal Knives
Pierce
Life Gain on Hit / Life Leech
Added Chaos / Increased Critical strikes / Slower projectiles

This is our main setup for dealing damage. Both single- and multi-target.

4L No.1:

Cast when Damage Taken (low-level)
Immortal Call
Increased Duration
Vaal Haste / Vaal Grace / Vaal Lightning Trap

CwDT-setup is mandatory if you dont wanna kill yourself to reflect. Can be avoided with a larger life-pool, Vaal Pact, and spell-dodge. Vaal-skill is optional, but these are the ones I would recommend.

4L No.2:

Blink Arrow
Faster Attacks
Flame Golem
Cast when Damage Taken (high-level)

Blink Arrow is amazing, and should definitely be used. Flame-golem on CwDT is a quality of life-thing. Lightning-golem, Stone-golem, and Lightning-golem are all good choices for us as well.

For any remaining sockets, try to fit Blood Rage in somehow. (only for LGoH version w/o Vaal Pact)

Aighty. Could I see the skill-tree?

Here you go:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBALDYotmEojIyyBQHmRCS9W9Z8NmGaoxMjrxvFr8mlWHiVUuMNonTcFIqC13yDkjjhA3RG8hjQ8_dNj3xiutjnaoRLwMetUhsjB9BYqy0xcLsBbUqW42_Go159lFH1CNbJkM2MHw31D7P51QwcX_7UuyNfe0_veYk_d2oI_b_3kt4TZKjijpC7g78xe96DY3Tfluvh3Z9dQBeIXZOKuOf_roZjobOTP9Kfbvj7YPBM0MxxKIILtrBjX6hIi5TdO23tvT4028FLXXLokB67-pivqcB0bCrZU2v68SCvTaK8Ed-6UaE2RGWBx6VLvDVSVE=
This is the Life Gain on Hit version, optimal for high-end mapping. It has a higher damage-output than the Vaal Pact version, at the cost of not having Vaal Pact.

For jewels, get a single Volley fire jewel and place it in the jewel-socket by the shadow-area. Every other socket should be used for rare-jewels with Life/Damage/Projectile Damage/Mana on hit (very important that you roll Mana on hit on at least 1 or 2 jewels.)
If you want an additional Volley fire gem, place it in the ranger-area socket and take the consecutive dexterity-node.

For the remaining nodes towards level 100, get the remaining Frenzy-charges, projectile damage-nodes, Poison-nodes, and life-nodes. Pick and choose.

Detailed explenation of how we achieve ridiculous amounts of poison damage:

Poison deals 10% of the intial hit's physical and chaos damage as chaos-damage over time per second, lasting two seconds. In other words, it deals 20% additional damage. Thanks to the Assassin ascendancy-node "Toxic Delivery", this is multiplied by 2, making it 20% per second, with 40% in total.
On top of that, we double-dip the damage though pure damage from flame-golem, projectile-damage from the skill-tree, drillneck, and pierce, and from the physical and chaos damage nodes by the shadow-starting area.
At this point, we use every little gimmick to scale the damage even further. Both Temporal Chains and Vulnerability have a massive impact on the total output-damage, although vulnerability is the most impactful.

Temportal Chains gives us 40% longer duration of poison, as well as providing us with massive survivability by slowing enemies down. this ends up being about 32% more damage.

Vulnerability gives us 25% more physical Damage, AND 33% more damage over time, making it an insane damage-boost for our build.

Noxious Strike gives us 30% increased duration of the poison against single-target, which is close to 25% more damage.

Fremzy-charges gives us 7% more damage per frenzy-charge, making them very powerful.

Thanks for reading my shitty build-guide. If you have any questions, simply post a comment below, or message me either here, in-game, or on my youtube-channel. Peace.
Horrible content-creator and memelord.
Last edited by Erueruefu on Aug 27, 2016, 4:27:06 AM
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2016, 7:36:31 PM
I'm currently trying something similar.
Last edited by DeamosDan on Sep 24, 2016, 8:13:22 PM
Is this build a good idea for someone newer? I've never used EK and it seems really fun to play and I couldn't find any other EK build.

If so... would it be possible to make a little leveling guide?
"
DialysisG wrote:
Is this build a good idea for someone newer? I've never used EK and it seems really fun to play and I couldn't find any other EK build.

If you can't afford a Cospri's then i would say don't bother with this build.

I suggest trying out something like Liftingnerbro's build here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1621031/page/1 he has an easy levelling guide also. When you can afford a cospri's then come back to this build.
"
DeamosDan wrote:
"
DialysisG wrote:

If you can't afford a Cospri's then i would say don't bother with this build.

I suggest trying out something like Liftingnerbro's build here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1621031/page/1 he has an easy levelling guide also. When you can afford a cospri's then come back to this build.

Oh okay, thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it out today :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info