Emberwake + Totems = No go?

I've been testing out various ways to stack a lot of ignites on a single enemy with this ring and my current point of study is Incinerate. On paper it looks good because I suspect that the +150% More damage modifier of incinerate at full stages will double-dip, providing both more damage to the initial hit and more damage to the ignite burn.

So I built up an Ancestral Bond Chieftain to test it out with

Problem is, Totems which cast incinerate don't seem to be causing much burn at all. Yes, the ring penalizes the effect of ignite but I had quite a lot of burn increasers to make up for it and each totem has 9.8 casts per second and 86% chance to ignite. Health bars of large bosses are going down linearly in spite of what should be faster decay as more ignites get on them.

I believe I may have already found the cause, but I'm wondering if something else is amiss. Guess I'm just looking for confirmation here. When Emberwake says "You can inflict up to 300 ignites on an enemy" is the term 'you' in this instance not attached to things like totems, traps and minions? Looking back, I would think that if it said 'your skills' rather than 'you' this build would work.
Last edited by PerfectDuck83 on Aug 26, 2016, 8:19:15 PM
Last bumped on May 4, 2017, 5:59:19 PM
it very might be the case that emberwake doesn't work for totems. Speaking about incinerate i have doubts if more multiplier applies to ignite damage. But i can confirm that emberwake works on self cast, currently playing with it.

to be sure u can test it with proliferation gem, if health losing increases when it proliferates in a group of mobs- then it works, if not- then it doesnt.
Last edited by Andrius319 on Aug 26, 2016, 8:39:21 PM
It is supposed to work, as totems use all your offensive stats as if you had done the attack. I suppose that a really simple way to check if it works is in pvp against a friend. You should be able to see if you are being affected by multiple ignites right? (This game always had display issues, so I'm not sure if it will work)
My guess is that it might be working kind of like how curses do, in that ignites from different players/sources don't stack. Each Totem can inflict up to 300 ignites on an enemy, but only the strongest group of up to 300 will actually be doing damage. Or maybe they just overwrite each other.

Try it with a single totem and see how it works. If it's still not effective then maybe you are right that it's not a property of your attacks. Which is pretty dumb tbh - Emberwake should be changed in that case so it does work with totems.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
I used voll for testing, using only one single Incinerate totem and I found that he took the same amount of time to die whether I took the Emberwake ring on or off. I toned my damage down so that he'd still be alive after the totem he fights expires and found he wasn't taking any significant burn damage either way (in my tests I had gotten the totem on him for at least 6 solid seconds and he was cursed with temporal chains so there should have been quite a lot of ignite stacking). I didn't see enough of a difference as I went back and forth watching the two recordings.

It's a darn shame. I was really hoping I had cracked a good idea for a boss-killer in the form of Incinerate's 150% more modifier double-dipping on damage over time. (I had made a previous post a while back where people concluded that they were sure that the Spell Totem penalty of less damage double-dips on ignites the spell causes, and this setup should have made up for that)
Last edited by PerfectDuck83 on Aug 27, 2016, 7:09:05 PM
-
Last edited by bloxed on Sep 8, 2022, 5:58:15 AM
Just fyi...I'm emailing GGG about these mechanics to see if we can't get it clarified. They may respond here, but if they don't I will report what they say if/when they respond to my email.
bump
bump and calling viper ^^
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
666lol666 wrote:
bump and calling viper ^^

Emberwake is a bit of a mess that I don't give a shit about, so I have no clue. Sorry.

I do know that this setup has nothing to make Ignite deal any Damage?
-Incinerate's More Damage does not apply to Ignite
-Iron Will and Fire Pen do not apply
-Spell Totem's penalty does apply
-Emberwake...
Not surprised the Ignites aren't dealing any Damage, whether they stack or not scarcely matters.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 4, 2017, 2:23:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info