Noob Question

Hello, Everyone.

So I got this game some time ago and for whatever reason I never really played it. Be that as it may. I really want a good top-down to play now and I want to really get into this game.

I see that there have been "expansion" packs; quite a few, and another one come in just over a week.

So my questions are for a brand new player. If I start at zero do I now choose from characters in the current game expansion "Ascendancy"? and go through that world only. Or do I have access to all the possible character classes that have come before and are current with the game? Is the world only restricted to the current new game?

In other words (using arbitrary examples) Say the initial release game had 5 character classes, 10 areas and 5 bosses. Say there have been 3 add on's since then. Do I get to choose from 15 character classes, and play 30 areas and 15 bosses? Or am I restricted to the current 5 character classes, 10 areas and 5 bosses for the current game mode "Ascendancy" for example?

Just trying to get my barrings before I dive in. I know the game is deep and long and I want to know what is what before I start and another game mode comes out. I hope this makes sense. If anyone has feedback and/or questions please do let me know.

Thank you!
Last bumped on Aug 26, 2016, 7:09:17 PM
There's only one world or Wraeclast. Each expansion adds to the world, becoming part of it. You'll start the game in vanilla content and gradually encounter the various types of expansion content as you progress through the acts. The character classes have stayed the same since the original release of the game (which added the seventh class; in open beta there were only six).
However, it's worth reading up on how Leagues work :) I'm a little strapped for time at the moment, but the short of it:
Each character is entered into a specific League, and characters from different leagues cannot play together. The two permanent leagues are called Standard and Hardcore. Additionally, every three-ish months a temporary league runs - currently this is the Prophecy league (ending in a few days), and in one week, it will be the Essence League (will run for three months).

Temporary leagues add a new mechanic, but these mechanics are not always introduced to the permanent leagues. Prophecy will become part of the core game, but the league before Prophecy was not made permanent, for example.

It may well be worth it to wait for the Essence league, and just start there. :)

(and then there's race leagues too!)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 26, 2016, 3:01:30 PM
Awesome, Thanks.

I assume that the expansion content is level or exp based? So that I don't get eaten alive while I am still low and ranking up? Or is it like dark souls - for lack of better comparison - where you can unwittingly wonder into a higher level area and just get ganked?
That kind of leads to my next question. I see that there are as you said - 7 Character Classes. But in 6 of those classes there are 3 characters each to choose from. Do they add a new Character per class with each expansion? Will this new one (Atlas of Worlds) add on another character to the roster?

With that - I assume like other games like this; if you want another character you have to choose them to start all over new game again, yes?
The basic 7 classes stay the same. Ascendancy gave us the option to specialize our build by taking one of the three options available to the class we are playing. the seventh class is a more specific case.
But no classes are added, they just "change" as you play in order to suit your playstyle more.

And yes, if you want to try another class, youll have to make another character.
"
AzrielProne wrote:
That kind of leads to my next question. I see that there are as you said - 7 Character Classes. But in 6 of those classes there are 3 characters each to choose from. Do they add a new Character per class with each expansion? Will this new one (Atlas of Worlds) add on another character to the roster?

With that - I assume like other games like this; if you want another character you have to choose them to start all over new game again, yes?

They don't add new character classes with expansions. Ascendancy was the last time they added new.."subclasses" I guess you could call then, since original release. If you want a different class, yes, you do have to restart with a new character.

As for wandering into expansion content or too-high areas...It's unlikely to happen. Initial progress through Normal, Cruel, and Merciless is driven by the story, in some cases preventing progress until you complete something. The boss fights ARE dangerous, but it's also VERY clear when you're approaching a boss fight.

This new expansion is all about the end game, once you've gotten to Merciless difficulty and opened up the mapping system. You've no chance of running into it.

Make sure that you are careful as to when you enter the Labyrinth. That is at times higher level than you are when you can enter it.

As a new player, you could easily start when Essence League does in a few days, and enjoy the fresh start. You may wish to start a character in Standard while you wait, simply to start getting used to the game and its mechanics.

POE Wiki and POE.Trade will soon be your best friends. Global chat CAN be helpful, but it isn't always. If you'd like to ask questions of global chat, I suggest you do:
Enter
/global 820
Enter

That tunes you into Global 820 which is used mostly just for players helping players. Globals 1-10 are more used for general chatting, and they are not to be trusted.

- Sheepster
"
AzrielProne wrote:
I assume that the expansion content is level or exp based?

The expansion content is mostly level-appropriate for your character as long as you don't rush through areas too fast. When you press tab to open the map, the upper right corner lists the monster level of the current area - try to stay at that level or above and do an area again if you notice you're falling behind.

Here's a short guide to the major expansion content thus far:

1.1: Sacrifice of the Vaal - you'll occasionally find a corrupted Vaal side area, which is one level higher than the main area it's connected to. The bosses in some of the side areas are kinda tough. The final encounter of the expansion is the Apex of Sacrifice, which you can access through a map device in the endgame (level 80+ and a good build recommended).

1.2: Forsaken masters - during your travels you'll encounter masters who will ask you to perform a mission for them. The mission will occur in the area you found the master in, or in a small side area which is one level higher. Successfully completing the mission increases your influence with the master. Reaching influence level 3 will allow you to create a hideout, invite the masters there and accept daily missions from them. The daily missions are tied to the master's level so it's possible to get a mission which is much higher than your character.

1.3 didn't have any expansion content.

2.0: The Awakening - the main content in this expansion is act 4, which unsurprisingly comes after act 3. It is part of the leveling progression of the game.

2.1 didn't have any expansion content.

2.2: Ascension - During your travels through acts 1-3 you'll find six trials of ascendancy. Completing all trials will allow you to access the labyrinth in act 3. Even though the labyrinth nominally fits around the end of act 3 level-wise, it can be kinda tough and many players leave it for later. I usually complete it after act 4, just before entering the next difficulty. Beating the labyrinth allows you to pick an ascendancy class, opening up new and powerful passive nodes for your character.

2.3: Prophecy - during act 1 you will encounter Navali, the Karui soothsayer. Completing her quest will cause her to travel to the town and offer prophecies to you in exchange of silver coins. Prophecies are quests which can randomly occur when you enter an area. Some prophecies only occur in a particular area. They may modify the area and its inhabitants to make things slightly tougher but not too much.

2.4: Atlas of Worlds (released next week) - when you reach the endgame, you will encounter Zana and she will introduce you to the Atlas of Worlds. Completing maps (endgame areas) will unlock them in the Atlas and open up new paths through the endgame content. The final encounter is the Shaper, whom I expect to be appropriate for a level 90-ish character (give or take a few levels depending on skill).
"
Nssheepster wrote:
Ascendancy was the last time they added new.."subclasses" I guess you could call then, since original release.

It's also the first and so far only time that they added something that is truly specific to a particular character class. Before ascension every class could theoretically do anything, although the different starting positions in the passive tree put different notables and keystones within easy reach for each class. Ascendancy passives however are locked to particular character classes, and furthermore a single character may only have a single ascendancy class at a time. The Scion however can access weakened versions of other classes' ascendancy passives, even from two classes at once.
Honestly, if you loaded up the game and played without knowing there were expansions in the first place, it would be tough to figure out where they got added. GGG has done a great job of seamlessly adding new content, melding it into the existing gameplay and storyline.

Each Challenge League is like a ladder from Diablo 2. They have all been glorified live beta tests for a new feature or mechanic they felt had potential as a permanent fixture in the core game. For instance, the Ambush League introduced Strongboxes, which found their way into the base game, and now exist both in Standard and all new Challenge Leagues. The Tempest League introduced tempests, which have not been added to the core game (though they can still appear under specific circumstances).

The Scion (7th character) is unlocked on your account when you open her cage in Act 3 on any other character.

Basically, just play the game. You won't even notice where the expansions were added. Good luck and have fun!
Look, man. Video games are hard, okay?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info