[THEORYCRAFT] Build help : Assassin CoC barrager (newb theorycrafter)

Hello all, I recently saw an awesome video ( here it is : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1701683/page/1) and immediately fell in love. I have experimented with a CoC barrager on my Assassin, and it feels quite good! Damage is decent enough but my tree is not optimized for CoC barrage.

I'd like some help with the ascendancy, tree pathing and optimal gems.

Here goes :

First, GEAR :

I am poor so I will use a tabula.
I DO have a 5L corrupted Volls Prot (RGBBB) that can use Shield Charge, but I prefer Barrage (safer :) )

I will pick rest of gear from my other toons. I have a full set of CI and multiple pieces of Life gears for all slots.

If you can suggest any uniques or rare item mods I'll look into it.

PLEASE KEEP IT CHEAP!!I am not rich and 10C is a MASSIVE amount for me. 99.99% of my gear that I bought is less than 1c (Im the king of scroungers).

Next, ASCENDANCY :

The vid guy is pathfinder with GG items, so its not possible to replicate that. I have 2 options in mind :

Spoiler

1. Pathfinder (yup). Pro : free poison, dont need too many crit nodes thanks to improved diamond flask, flasks. Cons : does not have damage like assassin (i THINK... not sure, if you can tell me if im wrong then i'll be happy to be wrong :) as i said, newb theorycrafter here)

2. Assassin : Pro : free crit :) semi-free maim/poison/bleed. Con : pure damage. little to no survivablity.

3. Inquisitor : Pro : everything. Con : same as assassin. reflect issues. may have to invest in good crit gear.

4. Ascendant : Pro + Con : jack of all trades, master of none.

Last, GEMS :

6L : Barrage, CoC, 4 more gems.
3L : CWDT, IC, Inc Dur
3L : Summon Ice golem, Blood Rage, movement skill
4L : Blasphemy, Assassin's mark, HoT, HoI

6L gem options :
Arc (shock)
Bladefall (phys spell)
Etheral Knives (physical spell)
Increased Crit Strikes (for non assassins)
Increased Crit damage
Glacial cascade (looks cool + Freeze)

Thats all I can think of atm.
Last bumped on Aug 26, 2016, 8:40:59 PM
an update :

I've got 2x Consuming Darks and a Pyre ring.

The plan is to dual wield the CD's and use the pyre to convert cold spells to fire, so they can poison enemies.

So Barrage is out. I've tried wild strike, since it has a huge range. I dunno about other skills tho.

So, how to scale this type of dmg? cold is transformed into fire?
If you want to use the Consuming Darks, then you'll most likely have to use either Cyclone or Spectral Throw (plus Gmp). Cyclone is just very efficient since you only need 2 or your links (Cyclone-Coc) and the rest can be used for spells and damage supports.

Damage Scaling: You'll want to scale the hit AND the poison damage, so try to go for passives/support gems that do both; f.e. Area damage or Projectile Damage (depending on your spells). Chaos damage nodes would be great, but this becomes less efficient if you're using non-legacy consuming darks and have only 60% of your damage converted to chaos. See the Wiki on Poison for more info: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Poison.

Other than that you can of course also pick up some of the good Spell damage, Crit Multi & Elemental damage nodes (Snowforged being very efficient), but keep in mind that if you can choose between f.e. 10% spell damage and 10% projectile/Area damage, then go with the latter.

I don't think you should use Voll's Protector
, since there are plenty of ways to generate Power Charges - using the Chest Armour just for that seems like a hefty investment. Assassin's Power Charge generation (10% on non Crit) plus maybe Blasphemy Assassin's Mark should actually be enough to take care of that.

Overall i think Assassin would be the easiest to build, since you won't need a lot of crit gear, which means gearing your char becomes easier and cheaper.

One Last thing: Accuracy is often overlooked. Without a Vagan Weapon this becomes important. When gearing your char, do pick up some accuracy f.e. on the jewellery, you'll need it for consistent crits. Try to keep your chance to hit around 90% or higher.

I hope this helps!
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959
perfect! i was looking for similar build.

here is what i come up with (NON DISCHARGE COC with POISON) :

1. use lightning strike. high APS, low mana cost, has huge range. 7 projectiles
2. equip touch of anguish unique claw for +1 chain (if we equip 2, will it chain 2 times??) (also has decent crit)
3. pathfinder ascendancy.
4. stack crit chance on tree + diamond rings.
5. CoC + LS + added chaos dmg + bladefall + EK + increased crit strikes.

my questions :

1. HOW to scale poison damage in a coc build??
2. pathfinder master herbalist node, poison on HIT??? hit = only attack (thus making this node useless for CoC (which casts SPELLS)) or it affect spells too?
3. if there is no good way to scale poison... then how to "scale" coc dps? NON DISCHARGE
Hi,

on how to scale poison damage follow the link i gave in my previous post; in the wiki you'll find a list of damage modifiers that double dip on poison damage (i.e. are the most efficient ways of scaling it), one example with Bladefall being area damage.

Lightning strike is probably not ideal for CoC: As far as i know Lightning strike can hit an enemy only once per attack (disregarding multistrike for the moment). So as long as you have many enemies in front of you, it will work just fine - BUT if you try to kill a single tanky boss without adds, then you won't be able to crit more than once per skill use (and actually it will be less of course, because of crit chance and accuracy). So essentially you will have much worse damage against single target. Multistrike can mitigate that to a certain extent, but it's a gem link you lose...this is why most CoC builds are based on attacks that don't need an extra support gem, such as cyclone or barrage.

oh and "Hit" means anything that ...well... hits, so it's attacks and most spells (Contagion would be an example of a spell that doesn't "hit").
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info