PHC Boisoner - TS Reach Assassin. Abusing poison with a fat belly [Detailed. Multiple variations]

Hello, this is my Tornado Shot Reach of the Council Poison Assassin on Prophecy HC atm.
Many builds in forums are SC oriented so i decided to put up a guide.
I expect this to be very detailed since i tested nearly all the popular approaches to find out how viable they are in a temp HC league.

At this time of writing i am 94 in Prophecy HC and i have a strict ‘no gorge-arid etc chains’ policy.
This means i have been chaining tier 12-13 maps (higher tiers are unsustainable) for some time now. Add prophecy effects like beyonders, buffed exiles etc and i am very happy with the overall power of this guy.

If you have questions or criticism, feel free to to contact me here or in-game.

First things First:
Spoiler
This guide is designed and tested solely with Hardcore Leagues in mind. For Softcore there are other guides you can follow.

My goal is not to give you a simple rigid build but list all the options and let you choose the one you like so it is a bit different from other guides.

Basics:
Spoiler
We use poisons extreme damage scaling potential and bow’s range to achieve huge dps (45k+ TS dps + poison now without flasks or vaal haste) and superb clear speed.

We make sure we have well rounded defenses (6.6k hp, acro/phase acro, 40+% evasion etc) to survive until 100.

Here are some offense and defense stats:
Spoiler

Dps with charges and blood rage. No flasks or vaal haste

(note that the dps is mostly physical. See appendix if you don’t know why that is important)

Defenses

hmm need to open the photos in a new window to view

My gear
Spoiler

Do not get intimidated by atziri gloves or the +1 quiver. This build is viable without those too.
I will make a detailed breakdown including budget cuts that can be made.

Gem Setups:
We have a few options depending on our gear and playstyle
Spoiler
Main 6L:
Spoiler

Use this if not using Snakebite or Cospri's Will for poisoning. Drop Faster Attacks for 5L
Tornado Shot - P.P.A.D. - Pierce - Increased Critical Strikes - Faster Attacks - Poison

Use this if u have a way to poison already. Drop SP or Crit Multi for 5L.:
Tornado Shot - P.P.A.D. - Pierce - Increased Critical Strikes - Faster Attacks - Slower Projectiles or Increased Crit Multi.

(Slower Projectiles gives more dps but i hate the projectile speed loss).

Secondary 6L options:
Spoiler
Barrage mines setup for Atziri:

Barrage - Remote Mine - Increased Critical Strikes - P.P.A.D. - Pierce - Trap and Mine Dmg.
You need this setup for the split phase of Atziri.

Curse on hit + charge generator:
Frenzy - Curse on Hit - P.C.O.C. - Pierce - Curse 1 - Curse 2
This is nice if you cannot use blood rage or using another aura instead of herald of ice

Decoy totem :
Decoy Totem - Totem Res - Faster Casting - Increased AoE
This is conditionally useful against some bosses

Alternatively u can use it as 2x 3L for vaal gems, another cwdt for golem and blood rage etc.

Auras:
Spoiler
Grace - Herald of Ice - Curse on Hit - Ass. Mark (default setup, easy charge generation)

Grace - Purity of Lightning (for coil users)

Grace - PoL - Empower - Enlighten
(for coil users deluxe. Both grace and PoL benefit from levels but not worth it unless u have a +1 all gems boot or glove)

I didn't like using blasphemy, aura is small and our range is very long.

CWDT and Movement:
Spoiler
CWDT - Immortal Call -Increased Duration + Vaal Grace or Haste

Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks - Faster Projectiles - Golem

Faster projectiles can be dropped for blood rage or something else

Also stick a vulnerability to a empty socket and self cast on bosses if u are not one shotting them already.

Skill Trees: (Asc. Points are same for all)
Again 4 skill trees depending on our needs
Spoiler

Vaal Pact Tree 1: No Atziri’s Acuity, No Kaom’s Heart or Belly
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBALDYotmEojIyyBQHmRCS9W9Z8NmGaoxMjrxvFr8mlQ-rdf200WHiJIuEb8gMVUvDOtRCjDabtSo4tUiJ04TF62NwUhEvAx42PSoLH0Gdql3ybIxirLTFwuwFtSpbBnCNv4JeTp9RR9QjUux6fzB8N9TnVDBxjX1_K-0_JP3dqCP2OdT_3kt4TZKjinb3OkLuDjH6_MWgnw2NW6-HdiF2Tirjn2eghs5M_yPTSn3BM0Mxj2BvJ9rBjX6aai5TdO23ttNvBS11y3rv6mK-p2VNvTZHfoTZAdx346luwBp4DW87tfI1kv6P2L1N4_4KplfyRTrh

Vaal Pact Tree 2: No Atziri’s Acuity, using Kaom's Heart or Belly
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBALDYotmEojIyyBQHmRCS9W9Z8NmGaoxMjrxvFr8mlXX9tNFh4oRvyAxVS9RCjDa1SInT62NwUhEvAx42PSoLH0Gdql3ybIxirLTFwuwFtSpbBnCNv4JeTp9RR9QjUux6fzB8lQU31OdUMHGNfX8rCIntPyT93agj9jnUmvH_3kt4TZKjinb3XWg6Qu4OMfrKqfzF73qgnw2N035br4d2AF4hdk4q458ZjobOTP8j00p97YPBM0Mxj2BvJwgu2sGNfppqLlN07be2028FLXXLeu_qYr6nZU29Nkd-fXX-umegD6ski8M6KjibtYTF

No Vaal Pact Tree 1: Using Atziri’s Acuity, no Kaom's Heart or Belly
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBALDYotmEojIyyBQHmRCS9W9Z8NmGaoxMjrxvFr8mlXX9tNFh4oRvyAxVS9RCjDa1SInT62NwUhEvAx42PR9BnapsjGKstMXC7AW1KlsGcI2_gl5On1FH1CNS7Hp_MHyVBTfU51QwcY19fysIie0_JP3dqCP2OdSa8f_eS3hNkqOKdvddaDpC7g4x-sqp_MXveqCfDY3Tfluvh3Z9dQBeIXZOKuOf_roZjobOTP8j00p97YPBM0Mxj2BvJwgu2sGNfppqLlN07be2028FLXXLeu_qYr6nZU29Nkd-hNkB3HfjqW7AGngNbzu18jWS2L3-CvJFOuE=

No Vaal Pact Tree 2: Using Atziri's Acuity and Kaom's Heart or Belly
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBALDYotmEojIyyBQHmRCS9W9Z8NmGaoxMjrxvFr8mlXX9tNFh4oRvyAxVS9RCjDa1SInT62NwUhEvAx42PSoLH0FVhZ2qXfKly2yMYqy0xcLsBbUqWwZwjb-CXk6fUUfUI1Lsen8wfJUFN9TnVDBxjX1_KwiJ7T8k_d2oI_Y51Jrx_95LeE2So4p2911oOkLuDjH6yqn8xe96oJ8NjdN-W6-Hdn11AF4hdk4q459noP66GY6Gzkz_I9NKfe2DwTNDMY9gbycILsMz2sGNfppqWhouU3Ttt7bTbwUtdct67-pivqdlTb02R36E2Q5ItzDoWiaI
(growth and decay to make sure bloodrage can be easily maintained in vulnerability or -regen maps)

What i play atm (Acuity + Belly, extra safe)
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBALDYotmEojIyyBQHmRCS9W9Z8NmGaoxMjrxvFr8mlXX9tNFh4oRvyAxVS9RCjDa1SInT62NwUhEvAx42PR9BnapsjGKstMXC7AW1KlsGcI2_efZOn1FH1CNDNnp_MHyVBTfU51QwcVLsjX1_KwiJ7T8k_d2oI_Y51Jrx_95LeE2So4p2911oOkLuDjH6yqn8xe96oJ8NjdN-W6-Hdn11AF4hdk4q45_-uhmOhs5M_yPTSn3tg8EzQzGPYG8nCC7awY1-mmouU3Ttt7bTbwUtdct67-pivqdlTb02R36E2QHcd-OpbsAaeA1vO7XyNZLYvf4K8kU=

I use Belly over Kaom’s atm cuz i will need to change other gear to stay ele weak capped, also having extra sockets helps with testing stuff.
For comparison: 6.600 hp with Belly / 7.100 hp with Kaom’s

How to finish your tree:

Frenzy charges (2 pts ea) : more dmg and uptime.
Druidic Rites (2 pts) : Flask uptime buff.
Arrow Dancing (1 pt): Awesome but not mandatory until high levels
Proj. Pierce chance (2 pts): You will need these if u are using a Drillneck with corrupted implicit.
Jewels sockets (3 pts ea): depends on how many good jewels you have.
More life (varies): always solid.

Gearing:
This build uses mechanics like crit, poison, evasion together. This creates a very large pool of good uniques that we can use and it is hard to decide which ones are the best. Furthermore, some of those unique’s effects are so drastic that it changes your gem/passive choices as well.
Spoiler

Bow:
Spoiler
Reach of the council is the best bow u can get and probably the only item i wouldn’t change in this build.

If u cant get one i would aim for a rare harbinger with high dps/crit but it won’t be the same.

Body armor:
Spoiler
Choosing your body armor drastically affects your defenses.

Kaoms Heart: best pure hp. downside is 0 eva and loss of gem slots. Also it is expensive.

Belly of the beast: second high hp, a bit res, cheap.

Lightning Coil: Life, eva and a damage reduction mechanic. Problem is you will probably need to use purity of lightning instead of herald of ice so power charge production will be manual.

Cospri’s Will: Very powerful item, but a bit wasted on this build. Problem is u also need ‘vulnerability on hit’ gloves to take advantage of free poisoning and gives 0 life

Hyrri’s Ire, Queen of the forest etc: They are not bad, but belly is already very cheap and better suited for this build.

I would start with a belly of the best (actually still using one). It will let you get your key passives earlier and wont consider dropping it before level 90 (other than for kaom’s heart) where u can allocate decent amount of life without compromising from your build.

Gloves:
Spoiler
Atziri’s Acuity: These gloves have very useful stats and an extreme price tag. The main bonus is you can skip vaal pact and use blood rage (as i wouldn’t consider using bloodrage with 0 regen in HC). Also getting a corrupted one to use with cospri’s will is not a temp league option.

Snakebite: These gloves give free poison link as long as u can maintain your frenzy charges. Stats are not the worst. Also they are cheap enough to mass buy and hunt for a corruption.

Facebreaker: 90 crit multi…. And nothing else. Again cheap to corrupt. This should be your go to glove if u are using cospri’s will (only do if u know what u are doing, your defenses will suffer immensely)

I use Acuity and am very happy with it. Bloodrage buffs dps and brings me to 3.6% leech which means practically every shot heals me to full hp.

My second choice would be getting a good rare. Flat dmg-accuracy-as-life-res-eva... so many good mods you can get from it.

Helmet:
Spoiler
Rat’s Nest: high eva and offensive stats are nice but it is hard to find the right enchant on unique items

I use a rare helm, because it is much easier to get a good enchant (Tornado shot proj. - Tornado shot crit chance). Dont forget u can get accuracy from your helmet.

Rings and amulet:
Spoiler
No unique ring will be better than a rare (maybe doedre’s damning on very extreme situations).
+1 curse amulet opens new horizons (dont have one yet so cannot test)

Important stats are:
Life / Resistances / Accuracy / Added Physical Damage for rings.
All of the above + crit multi for amulets.

Belt:
Spoiler
Get your missing str from here. Then aim for life + res and possibly movement speed craft.

Headhunter is also very good... and fun... and expensive.

Boots:
Spoiler
Atziri’s Step: Nearly every stat is useful to us. If u can cap your resists its a very budget solution for boot slot.

Atziri’s if u dont need resists, a rare one if u need them.

Quiver:
Spoiler
Drillneck is awesome. Maybe a very good quiver can compete but it will cost so much that you will be better off buying a +1 arrow Drillneck.

Bandits:
Spoiler
+40 life / attack speed or skill point / +1 power charge

Flasks:
Spoiler
I use insta life flask , Atziri’s Promise, Quicksilver, Basalt and Jade.
U want bleed removal on one of them and freeze removal on one of them.

Taste of Hate is also great (consider taking the flask nodes around ranger if u have one)
Haven't Vessel of Vinktar yet but i don't think i will stick a 3rd unique flask.

F.A.Q.
Spoiler
It seems synergic with Iron Reflexes, maybe it is better than acro ?

Tried that. Acro is far more superior even with my gear which has 2 pure armor pieces.

What about reflect ?

Well reflect gets cut by high insta leech, evasion, dodge and ic procs

Single reflect mobs are not an issue, i even shoot blindly against 2x reflect mobs like rakango + tail or twin rares prophecy.

Also tried a T9 reflect map (by not reading the map mods carefully), i survived but it was easily the most rippy map i did so skip them. It feels like at the end of every pack you are left with a random number of hit points between 90% and 20%

What about using [insert unique name]

There might be some i forgot. If u remind me i will try to test.

What about [insert skill name] instead of tornado shot

It will work as long as your skill gem doesn’t convert damage to elemental. I like TS as it is good for both single target and aoe plus it combines nicely with poison mechanics

Atziri and uber atziri

Atziri: yes (see below)
Uber: dunno, i believe i can get a kill but don’t think i can farm her efficiently.. I will die at some point.

This being said if u wanna farm atziri or uber efficiently this build is not suited for that. It needs extra effort and more gear compared to atziri farming builds around

Uber lab

Doable, but again if u wanna farm uber lab efficiently just level a juggernaut.

Why no videos

I need to annex my brothers computer to record a video, and use my crap internet to upload.
So it will take some time.

Map mods:
Spoiler
Minus regen and vulnerability messes with blood rage.
Reflect is rippy (see f.a.q.)
Hexproof blood magic and status alignment immunity requires extra effort for maintaining power charges ( surprisingly assassin passive is good for producing them).
Other than that all is doable, it is up to you to decide which mods you are comfortable with.

I skip: -res with ele dmg mods, cannot leech, blood magic and triple damage debuffs (enfeeble+temporal chains+ less crit dmg for example)

Appendix : Poison and TS Mechanics, dps calculation, double dipping etc

Spoiler
Briefly, poison damage is based on your physical+chaos damage but for some purposes poison counts as an additional skill.

This means some effects will increase your initial damage, then increase your poison damage again resulting in a huge damage scaling. This is called double dipping.

For this build, we double dip on increased/more Projectile Damage and increased/more Damage nodes to scale our poison damage to huge levels.

We also double dip on less damage nodes, this is another reason for not using another bow with GMP.

A very small demonstration:
Drillneck + pierce gem will give you 50% increased dmg (from 50% pierce chance) and 23% more dmg.

So if you were to do 100 damage. U would do 100 x 1.5 x 1.23 = 184.5 dmg

This would cause 36.90 damage over 2 seconds. But since the projectile modifiers double dip it causes 36.90 x 1.5 x 1.23 = 68 dmg over 2 seconds.

We use tornado shot because it is good for both single target and aoe, and +4 arrows from our bow increases its single target dps as well.

We also benefit from making multiple small hits:

It means that if u are making 6 hits to a reflect mob, your immortal call will proc after the first hit and absorb the rest of the reflected damage.

It means that you check your chance to bleed (30%) and maim(50%) multiple times against a boss
Last edited by Quasireel on Aug 5, 2016, 12:22:34 PM
Last bumped on Sep 25, 2016, 4:13:04 AM
Hey, Im currently experimenting alot with selffound characters. I found your build and thought : damn that sounds great! , because I also like bow builds alot. Do you think I can get decent dmg to farm myself the required uniques, atziri(boots) and uber lab with just rares? Or is the damage really depending on some crucial uniques? And if thats the case would you use more dmg nodes for that time being?
Thx alot :)
i havent played this guy since 2.4 as i am trying to finish top 10 in E-HC, but it should work.

The only important unique was Reach, but it got nerfed anyways so a yellow harbinger can be used. (drop inc. crit chance for gmp)

You will have less dmg, but the dmg was already stupidly high. I was shooting t13 bosses once and watch them degen to death, so it should be still enough.

Nice thanks for the response and good luck :)
hi nice guide. you should consider using added chaos gem, it will almost double your dps and add reflect-free damage that contributes to poison (not to bleed but bleed is useless compared to what poison can do)
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info