Question on spell scaling

How does ek scale noncrit? Planning on using poison with it. Im going jugg cause i make tanks thats just my thing. It doesnt have to be insane clear speed id. I just want decent clear speed with a ranged spell. Would i just be better off going bv? I know thats melee range but ive heard it op. Anyone with experience in the dps department care to help? I know how to scae melee and bows i have no exp with spells.
Last bumped on Jul 21, 2016, 10:13:31 PM
EK is physical, so you want things that add elemental damage as physical. The Hatred aura and Herald of Ash reservation, Taste of Hate unique flask, Added Fire Damage and Physical to Lightning support gems, and items that do this are all immensely helpful. Be careful when using "physical converted to ___ elemental damage", as this dictates the use of that elemental penetration gem. For instance, Physical to Lightning support converts physical to lightning, but also adds some physical as lightning. This adds overall damage, but causes you to lose overall damage against resistant enemies.

EK is limited to one target per projectile, but comes with nice coverage and a good number of projectiles. Try to get pierce as much as you can, as this maximizes the amount of targets you can hit without hurting your damage. The only easy way to get 100% pierce chance is to allocate the Piercing Shots notable and circle immediately above Acrobatics, on the east side of the passive tree.

EK has a faster cast rate than most spells, so getting cast speed can help immensely.

But why would you not get crit? Crit is an advantage spells have over attacks since spells ignore evasion and evasion's double check against crit chance. Crit is especially good for physical spells since it guarantees an ignite, freeze, and shock, and increases damage to help boost the duration, if applicable to the status effect. This means 25% crit chance converts into 25% chance to ignite, 25% chance to freeze, and 25% chance to shock each time you use that spell. Since EK can easily add all three types of damage, it's very easy to apply multiple status effects to enemies very quickly.
Thank you for the reply usually no one cares to help ppl with questions. I was thinking non crit to be tanky cause i love tanks. Basically i need a spell that will be able to cleeae t15 maps. I already made eq and ts duelist so i wanna make a caster. Im not in love with ek it just sounded like a good idea. What spells have the best damage with little investment? I was thinking poison stacking with dd multipliers for support gems idk if i can scale a spell up to the damage i need though.
As of now traps have best spell damage output with little investment, they just melt everything :D
"
Tereng wrote:
As of now traps have best spell damage output with little investment, they just melt everything :D

Though traps are specific and require certain conditions to be effective. Clever Construction, for one, as there are instances enemies can either destroy your traps before they trigger or use them to bounce an extra attack or spell at you. Like the spell Arc or when enemies attacks chain.

Traps and mines will offer the best scaling for any spell. But traps and mines work best with certain spells. Other spells work best without traps or mines.

If you're going with traps, I would suggest investing into one of two choices:

Lightning Trap with pierce. Huge AOE capability and lowest cooldown of ALL traps. 2 seconds to recharge a single use without any investment or support.

Ice/Fire Trap. Both traps have lower cooldown times than the Trap support and have good base damage. I would prefer Fire Trap as it has a DOT afterwards, but Ice Trap's only advantage over Fire Trap is its cooldown.

If you're going to use mines, Fire Nova Mine is an obvious winner. While it doesn't do burst damage well, it fires off four times per mine and gets a lot of "more" damage. So it's relatively low damage of 128-192 is actually closer to 512-768 before all applicable damage increases, including its built-in "more" modifier.

As for self-cast, your best options will be: Firestorm, Incinerate, Essence Drain (use with Contagion and Wither), Ball Lightning, Flame Surge (use with Fire Trap or Searing Bond to get the "burning"), Ethereal Knives, Blade Vortex, Bladefall, or Detonate Dead.

My personal favorites for scaling would be Essence Drain (due to the inherent life leech and the fact that it can be spread widely without much issue, and that another skill can grant considerable increased damage), Ball Lightning (many possible hits means Knockback is a good support and can make you much tougher, since enemies aren't always near you), Detonate Dead (it has about half of the base damage of any other spell at worst but it adds 6% of the corpse's life as damage, so it easily surpasses all other spells), and finally Firestorm.

Firestorm can scale easily since it can benefit immensely from damage, cast speed, and duration. If you can manage to get Emberwake and The Taming, it is the single best spell to use.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info