[2.3] [HC] Caustic Arrow Trickster [Kintsugi/Phase/Acro] [Atziri/UberLab viable]

This build largely focuses on defenses and also is built around taking advantage of the new unique armor Kintsugi. Given this is primary a HC build, there is plenty of other threads for the SC folks. They will be listed at the end as references.

I've completed up to T13 Maps so far killing every boss. Completed Uber Atziri and Uber Labs a couple of times.

For leveling, do whatever you want as you'll be primarily getting life nodes anyways until the end.

Current Passive Tree

We take the Trickster Ascendancy class because of the defensive bonuses it provides.
Below are the bonus we will be taking with the Trickster Ascendancy:

Leveling Suggestion: Normal - Patient Reaper; Cruel - Swift Killer; Merciless - Ghost Dance; Uber - Shade Form
Note: if you have the respec points and you're not getting rushed through Labs, I strongly suggest unspecing from Swift Killer and taking Shade Form prior to taking on Uber Lab.

Patient Reaper (2pts)
- 40% increased Damage over Time
- 60% increased rovery rate of life, mana and ES if you have killed with DoT recently
- 4% IAS and Cast Speed

Swift Killer (2pts)
- 10% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill
- +1 Frenzy charge
- 4% ias and cast speed
- 10% increased frenzy charge duration

Ghost Dance (2pts)
- 5% chance to dodge attacks and spells
- 10% increased MS while on full ES
- 20% faster start of ES recharge (not a big deal)

Shade Form (2pts)
- + 500 evasion and +250 ES
- 20% ias and cast speed if energy shield has recharged recently
- 20% more chance to evade attacks while not on full ES (Great)
- 8% ES and EVA
- 4% IAS and Cast Speed

My Current Gear on ProphHC
Spoiler

Gear Choices/Reasoning
Spoiler

Bow
+2/+1 bow will be best in slot due to how poison arrow/casutic arrow works. Get a movespeed bow like a Maraketh Bow if possible but any 6L +2/+1 works.

Chest/Armour
The tree is designed with Kintsugi is mind. Lightning Coil has long been Best in Slot however it's mitigation benefits physical only. This league, we've seen a lot more damage coming from elemental sources which Kintsugi can negate.

Concept is simple, evade as much as possible and when you get hit, your damage reduction will be significant enough to survive. Build has 45% Dodge, 49-51% Spell Dodge, ~60% evasion

Note: We do not need a 6L in the chest. I've preferred to have 2x 3L as the build has lots of 3L combinations.

Quiver
Drill Neck is for the pierce chance and the added damage it gives. +1 arrow is not mandatory however significantly improved QoL

Boots
Our focus is dodge and evasion and nothings better than Atziri's Steps. I strongly suggest getting Spell Dodge or Dodge on Crit lab enchant on them. I personally prefer Dodge over Spell dodge as it would bring us from 45% to 55%

Helm
Rare Helm with res/life/evasion is best

Gloves
Rare gloves with res/life/evasion is best

Amulet
Go for the main stats you need first on the implicit and then get your standard Life/Res/Evasion!
Note: Stat focus for our build is as follows 155 Strength and 111 Intelligence.
Rings
Rare rings with HP/Res is going to be best here. We have lots of room for res in gear so you can priority chaos res or str as well.

Belt
Heavy or leather belt depending on what you need. HP/Res/Flask/Strength if needed is what I go for.

Gem Choices

Spoiler

Caustic Arrow
4L: Concentrated Effect + Void Manipulation + Pierce
5L: Rapid Decay
6L: Empower

I've listed Empower as a 6L as its priority largely depends on the fact you have a +2/+1 bow and the current level of the gem.

Frenzy
4L: Curse on Hit + Vulnerability + GMP
I do not used more than a 4L currently as it is not needed.

Auras
Grace + Clarity + Arctic Armor + Enlighten

Pretty standard for a poison arrow build. Grace is needed to give you more evasion and clarity to make life easier. Arctic Armor is our primary source of physical mitigation which is why we need it. With a Lab enchant on helmet, less physical from 13% to 17%.

Note: Not recommended but; you can drop Arctic Armor and run a higher level Clarity to improve QoL. I would suggest this mainly for maps with reduced mana regen. Without Arctic Armor, you want ~lvl 10 clarity unless you have int to get higher. with, you want level 7 or less.

Wither
3L: Spell Totem + Faster Casting
I use Wither with Spell Totem with Faster Casting because it is a huge damage boost on bosses.

Flame Golem
Standard as it gets. However, there is an argument that can be made for Stone Golem or Chaos Golem if you're running Uber Lab. If you feel damage is significant enough. If you have spare links like me, you can add the following: Culling Strike + GMP + Inc. Rarity

Blink Arrow
Wherever you can fit it.

Rallying Cry
Link: Increased Duration (try to include it with vaal skills)
Wherever you can fit it. Provides us with much needed mana regen and a reliable source of damage.

Vaal Skills
Link: Increased Duration
Vaal Grace for the defensive aspect (If you decide to not link your golem with anything)
Vaal Lightning trap for shocked ground

Food for Thought
You could run a CWDT+IC+Inc. Duration and instead of using Rallying Cry, you could run enduring cry. This will provide you more capabilities to survive however the colors will be a huge challenge on full evasion gear and it will require an unset ring for an extra socket for the enduring cry. You would need 3R/1G (CWDT+IC+Inc Duration + Blink Arrow self cast) or 4R (CWDT+IC+Inc Duration+Flame/Stone Golem)

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal: Oak for the HP
Cruel: Talent Point
Merciless: Kraityn for the Frenzy Charge

References
These are the guides which were the baseline for this build. Unfortunately these were SC players for me which is why I built on their guides.

Spoiler

Best Caustic Guide imo: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1291803/page/1
Great Secondary Source: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1561852/page/1
Last edited by xNovoxx on Jun 29, 2016, 4:02:55 PM
Last bumped on Aug 5, 2016, 6:49:52 PM
How did you level this character? (I know that u only take the life nodes, but which spells did you use?, when did you do the transition to CA)
Honestly, I ran storm cloud until I got a +2 bow and transitioned instantly into caustic however it was very inefficient. Even though I bought it 5linked already and had a level 2 empower.

I'd suggest using Storm Cloud and then upgrade to a fated one and run lightning arrow or split arrow. You could also use the new Deaths Harp / Opus to level instead if you prefer but we grab no crit/phys nodes so I'd suggest otherwise.

I'd also suggest to buy a level 20 caustic the moment you can use it and level more on switch to vaal orb for 21/20. The level 20 caustic is a huge damage boost and will exponentially increase your clear speeds.
Last edited by xNovoxx on Jul 1, 2016, 3:47:51 AM
Looks awesome ! I'll try this out as next build when I die :)
"
sp4k wrote:
Looks awesome ! I'll try this out as next build when I die :)

Cheers, lmk how it goes.

I'd like to add DoomFletch Prism to suggestion on leveling gear. It can easily carry you all the way with just meginords with tornado shot.
Nice build mate, after loosing my jugg to lag i decided to do another build that was UberLab viable, i went to the ladder and decided to copy ur build before u did the guide.
I'm currently at lvl 86 doing 4key runs with no problem, great build mate.

Also, for those who can't afford a leveled enlighten, alpha howl does the job just fine(at 200+- life cost).
favorite part of this build is its close to Iron Reflexes
(:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info