Worth using the level 1 20% quality recipe?

Hello,

Since there is a challenge to hit level 90, I will be hitting level 20 on gems for the first time on a character I'm actively playing (hit level 20 on a couple that are used only to do dailies on standard but I'm not doing anything with those). I usually stop and reroll in mid 80s and never had this issue before.

Since I play 95% self found, the vast majority of my gems have 0% quality. I know the recipe for level 1 20% quality is great, but is it a good idea to do it for all your gems that you are actively using? I don't have a second set of gems levelling on my alt weapon to switch to, so I would in essence go from a 5L at level 20 to a 5L level 1 gems with 20% quality with level 1 auras.

Is there a way to see how big of a difference it would make and if I'm going to hate myself for doing this? The quality bonuses are great and I think that relevelling to let's say level 12-15 wouldn't take too long. But if I go from speed clearing tier 7 right now to struggling in tier 2, I will likely flip a table and kill the character. Which is not good because I need it for some challenges and also to find that stupid 6th trial that I haven't found yet at level 87 after 17 trials.

I really wish there was something similar to d3planner for PoE. Would make everything so much easier for me to test out.
Last bumped on Jun 25, 2016, 10:28:00 AM
I'm sure there are exceptions for not doing it without a leveled backup however, in my experience you will surpass the power with your 20 very quickly if not immediately. Take a hard look at your main attack skills on the wiki that would be the biggest concern.
IGN: Fourist
Don't do the aura gems unless you care about aura radius.

I'd recommend doing one gem at a time in this case so you don't lose too much dps all at once. Though if you do do all of them it depends on how many links you have and what gems you use.

Also don't do it for your active skill gems that gain most of their damage from level because that will completely destroy your dps.
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Jun 24, 2016, 9:45:42 AM
Just be sensible about it. Relevelling most gems is fine. Support gems are usually as good at 12/20 than at 20/0 anyway. So you will mostly hate yourself if you don't do it. Most attack skills are fine to relevel as well; again you lose a reasonable amount of dps but the quality bonus usually makes up for it pretty quickly, and you'll be back on track in no time.
I'd just re-level almost all support gems without much thought, and I'd re-level my main attack skill if the quality bonus was good.

The main ones that suck to re-level are:

Flat damage adding gems (Anger, Wrath, added X damage, etc).
Minions gems (your zombies are going to be very squishy if you reset them).
Damage spells.

If you reset a flat damage aura, your dps will drop a decent chunk but you'll probably still be OK. Maybe drop down one map level for a bit just until they get back to 15-ish. Like Vesuvius079 said though, no point in re-levelling auras anyway unless you care about the radius.

If you reset your zombies or skeletons, you will need to be careful for a long while until they get back up to speed, but it's nothing too bad.

If you reset your main damage spell/minion gem, and don't have a backup, then you will flip a table. I would suggest leveling a temporary replacement gem to at least 18 first. Then, try out the level 18 gem and make sure it's all OK. Then think about releveling your level 20 main damage spell gem

In the long run though you will be very happy with yourself if you do reset the gems.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 24, 2016, 9:49:35 AM
Yeah, what Vesuvius said. Only do it for auras if you are a summoner or if you always play in a party.

Definitely do it for support gems (except for spell totem if you're playing RF totems, lol), curses, and Attacks.

If your main dps skill is a Spell, then don't do it for that unless you start leveling a backup first.

Maybe go back on your ideal of playing mostly self-found; you'll find that level 19 gems sometimes go for as little as 2c this league.
Thanks for some feedback guys. Currently playing the typical Voltaxic LA builds.

5L is LA GMP WED Pierce Increased Crit chance

Good point about auras, I thought Wrath quality was more lightning damage but it's just radius. It's only heralds that get that increased damage. LA gets 10% chance to shock which isn't super great I think since I'm already shocking from crit. The 4 supports get decent increased damage but I'll lose more multipliers while relevelling so my dps will likely tank. I have an extra WED levelled at least. Maybe if I do 1 herald at a time I won't notice it as much.

I'm only running T6/T7 since I can't seem to build a pool of higher maps for now so I think even if I go from 25k LA dps to 12-15k, I should be mostly ok?
I just looked at your character you are talking about - it's an LA crit raider with voltaxic.
(edit: sorry I was slow and didn't see your post. 25k LA is definitely overkill for level 7 maps! I'm sure you will cope with losing a bit of it temporarily.)

Here is my advice on your particular setup:

You can reset GMP, pierce and WED pretty much whenever you like, if you do it all at once your dps will drop for a small amount but you'll be fine. Maybe wait and reset inc crit strikes after those ones; with that gem reset you won't lose much tooltip dps compared to the other gems, but in my experience your clear speed will drop more.

Probably not worth resetting LA since it only gives shock chance. Which isn't so useful for a crit user.
I would also say to reset all the other support gems on your other skills, reset ice golem (why not, right?), and reset blink arrow and frost wall too. (In fact, you will probably find frostwall better at a lower level for most situations!)

Definitely reset frenzy (since you just use it for on-hit effects, and the quality bonus is attack speed.) Reset burning arrow if you think 60% increased ignite duration would be useful.

Reset Assassin's mark since the chance to grant a power charge is actually higher at 1/20 than at 20/0!

HoL is fine to reset, but it doesn't really matter either way, so you might want to leave it at 20 (or wait until your other gems are levelled). The boost to lightning damage won't help your LA, just the thunderbolts that the herald itself brings down.
Don't reset wrath.

---------------------------
Edit2, I have an LA ranger (in standard), I reset all my gems except LA and am very happy with the result! Resetting Wrath was really painful (I wanted it for parties, but my dps almost halved when I reset it!!!!), but the other ones I didn't even notice. :)

Spoiler
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 24, 2016, 10:11:12 AM
in experience, once you re-level your gems after doing the gcp recipe, once they get to level 15, you see dps increase.. if you are playing higher maps, you can get these gems to 15 in a few hours... if you dont mind the semi lacking dps for that time.. totally worth it, imo for a new league as GCPs can be costly at 20 a pop per gem.. i do, sometimes, gcp my main attack to get it where I want it asap should the skill actually benefit from the GCPs

i also also gcp my enlightens and empowers and add into a haku weapon.. worth it.
POE is life. POE is ♥.
Last edited by KonaLuvsPOE on Jun 24, 2016, 1:19:35 PM
Time for some specifics.

here they are, for freezing pulse. this likely applies to most casters:

level 16 and 20% quality beats level 20 and zero quality gems.

I regained the power I had lost when my rerolled gems reached level 16.
after which everything was gravy.
Last edited by AgnosiousD on Jun 24, 2016, 11:29:25 PM
"
Namcap wrote:
Hello,

Since there is a challenge to hit level 90, I will be hitting level 20 on gems for the first time on a character I'm actively playing (hit level 20 on a couple that are used only to do dailies on standard but I'm not doing anything with those). I usually stop and reroll in mid 80s and never had this issue before.

Since I play 95% self found, the vast majority of my gems have 0% quality. I know the recipe for level 1 20% quality is great, but is it a good idea to do it for all your gems that you are actively using? I don't have a second set of gems levelling on my alt weapon to switch to, so I would in essence go from a 5L at level 20 to a 5L level 1 gems with 20% quality with level 1 auras.

Is there a way to see how big of a difference it would make and if I'm going to hate myself for doing this? The quality bonuses are great and I think that relevelling to let's say level 12-15 wouldn't take too long. But if I go from speed clearing tier 7 right now to struggling in tier 2, I will likely flip a table and kill the character. Which is not good because I need it for some challenges and also to find that stupid 6th trial that I haven't found yet at level 87 after 17 trials.

I really wish there was something similar to d3planner for PoE. Would make everything so much easier for me to test out.

if you are an attacker it doesn't make a difference to transform all your lvl 20 gems to lvl 1 and 20 quality.

if you are a spell caster it is harder because you will do very little damage with a lvl 1 gem.
you can buy a lvl 19 spell gem fairly cheap to use for the time being.
i level up 6 copies of my main spell on the switch that i sell when they reach lvl 20 and just buy a 20/20 spell gem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info