Death Penalties

Actually not. From what I've seen so far most of the skills needs some intelligence. Also I remember Chris mentioned players with intelligence hit more accurately. It means no char will survive the huge intelligence lose. They can't even hit monsters. Balance will be kept.

If what I thought is not true, then we can simply replace "intelligence" with the proper attiribute/s for each character. But realism takes hit. Death should be the same for each character.

In fact there is one more solution. Intelligence takes hit but in theory int characters should gain their intelligence and memories back quickly. They can gain int back close to the place they died. But other characters have to go to the exact spot they died.

We need more information about the game for the details.

He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
weakening effects greatly discourage players .

like others i would prefer to see a +magicfind survival bonus rather than a death penalty .
But death should be the most weakening effect :) especially in a cut-throat game as the developers call it.

Still there is a reward in my suggestion too.
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
If you die, all gems lose EXP equal to enough to take them back to the beginning of the level that they are on, or a percentage of what they were on.
This would mean you don't lose power, as your gems remain the same level, but you do have to retrain the gems that amount of exp.
Still think just xp loss and damaged items is the way to go. that way theres a money sink / currency sink of some sort. Also like someone said before people wont level defensive ability's . As you can just run back to where you were with no penalty.plow down 100 more creeps ,die and Repeat.As killing this way is far quicker but you die easier. So pretty much everyone will build themselves like glass cannons. A bit boring in my opinion.
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
For the default league I think simply having to go back to the place where you died is enough of a penalty. So you die, respawn in town with all gear, and run back to your spot. Just like it is now in the game.

Town portals can impact this, create a portal right before you enter a "hard" encounter and you can come back pretty quick. Maybe make a town portal un-usable for 3 minutes if it is close to where you died.

No weakening or buffing of heroes, imo. I don't want gameplay to actually change because of death(or no death). And a reward would mean people afk'ing to build up the bonus or just destroying X number of weaker monsters if that is what it takes to get that bonus.
you think people would really spend time getting zero xp just so they could get a bonus to xp gain? when all they need to do is play the game and not die to get the same exact xp bonus? so you sit afk for an hour to get the bonus while i play for an hour. now we both have the bonus activated except i am a level ahead of you cause you just sat there lol.

anyway the bonus is just a different idea, not a big fan of it myself but if it was to be done then time would not be a factor. xp gain should be the only thing factored into activating the bonus
That xp bonus would be hilarious if you had to do an action ever 3 mins or you get logged out for afk :P
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
I think Torchlight have a good system for this kind of things.
any survival bonus should/can be linked to active combat AND level appropritate mobs , if they have the skill to add it then they have the skill to control its trigger .

what is the most important is how fast magicfind builds and how potent it is at given ranks/percentages .
in sacred/sacred2 it takes LONG time to build up , its effects are quiet and gradual , it blends into the gameplay experience .

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info