[2.3] Surprise Meatgrinder - Assassin - Flicker CoChaos Blade Vortex/Bladefall

--------------- Introduction ---------------

This build is a life based cast on critical strike physical spell build. CoC builds up many stacks of Blade Vortex in addtion to the constant bladefall. The CoC enabler is flicker strike. We use the unique two-handed sword Terminus Est's affix Gain a Frenzy Charge on Critical Strike for a constant up time of frenzy charges even on solo targets. Being an assassin allows us to crit cap despite the low base crit of the weapon. Assassin ascendancy also gives us free bleeding and poison, though we use snakebite for more consistent poisoning.

Single target flicker:

Here's an example gorge run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KslFFmHbl6g

--------------- Pros & Cons ---------------

Pros:

-Physical Spells ignore resistances
-Flexible gear choices, only need 1 unique
-Leveling up with bladefall is fairly quick
-Fast clear speeds
-Easy to play (hold down 1 button and watch the whole screen explode)
-Hilariously fun

Cons:
-Must have at least a 5 link chest/terminus est
-Not that tanky

--------------- Terminus Est ---------------

This is the only required unique for this build. They're very cheap. You shouldn't be paying more than 1-2 chaos for a near-max roll.

Now there's a big problem with this sword, and that's it provides no crit for either flicker strike or our physical spells. That's why it's so important that we pick assassin. The ascendancy node Deadly Infusion allows us get to 95% crit chance with 6 power charges despite the lack of any crit on the sword.

Which means with 6 power charges our base crit chance goes up to a respectable 8%. Combine that with gear and all the passives and getting to 95% crit isn't so hard anymore.

--------------- Gems ---------------

In order of important from Left->to->right

Attack:
Flicker Strike - Cast on Critical Strike - Blade Vortex - Multistrike - Increased Critical Strike - Bladefall

If you feel like you're dying too quickly swap bladefall with life leech

Auras:
Blasphemy - Warlord's Mark
Hatred

Warlord's mark gives us all the mana we need with added survivability via endurance charges

Initial power charge generator
Blade Vortex - Power Charge on Critical

Once you get going you'll never run out of power charges, but if the very first flicker fails to crit/get power charges then you'll be on cd. I only ever use this at the very beginning of a map

CoDT
Cast When Damage Taken Support - Ice Golem - Immortal Call - Increased Duration

Alternative movement skill:
Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Less Duration - Rapid Decay

--------------- Gearing ---------------

Summary:
1. Cap resistances
2. 40 strength total from gear (or 70 strength if you want to use lv 20 increased duration)
3. Max life
4. Critical strike multiplier
5. Spell damage
6. Critical strike chance
7. Armor/Evasion/ES

Here's how I'd gear. Get a strong defensive unique body armor and unique offensive gloves. Then try filling out your resistances with rare diamond rings, boots, and a belt. If you're pretty close to the cap try using a offensive unique helm. If you're very far off the cap (135%) then get a good resistance helm instead. If you're res capped now then get a crit amulet. The key here is to balance good offensive uniques with good resistance rares.

Detailed breakdown
Spoiler

Uniques are in order of best-in-slot (from left->to->right)

Body Armor:

Unique options: Cloak of Flame/Lightning Coil, Kintsugi, Hyrri's Ire, Cospri's Will, Belly of the Beast, Atziri's Splendour, Tabula Rasa

There's a lot of options here, I STRONGLY recommend a good defensive chest.

Resistances
Life
Evasion/Armor/ES
Strength

Gloves:

Unique options: Snakebite, Maligaro's Virtuosity, Surgebinders, Meginord's Vise, Facebreaker

Snakebite synergies well with Noxious Strike/Toxic Delivery and gives an huge amount of accuracy so flicker strike doesn't miss. But if you're not crit capped from your rings/amulet then maligaro's is a better option.

Life
Resistances
Attack speed

Belt:

Unique options: Doryani's Invitation (physical version)

Rustic sash % increased phys damage applies to your spells too. Belts are important for good life resistance and flask rolls. I wouldn't recommend using a unique belt. The exception would be doryani's because it gives %dmg and tri-res with the added bonus of life leech on phys (includes spells).

% increased phys damage (rustic sash)
Life
Resistances
Flask charges

Rings:

Unique options: Sibyl's Lament (right ring), Ming's Heart, Le Heup of All

Diamond rings with life and resistances are where you're going to fill out most of your resistances. I don't recommend using any unique. Later, using 1 sibyl's lament on the right ring can be good to prevent phys-reflect maps.

Critical Strike Chance (diamond rings)
Resistances
Life
Cold Damage
Attack speed

Boots:

Unique options: Windscream*, Darkray Vectors, Atziri's Step, Death's Door

I recommend using your boot slots to get resistances and life.

*If you're going 2 curses than windscream is a better option that traversing to Whispers of Doom in the passive tree.

+1 maximum frenzy charges
Resistances
Life
Movement Speed

Helm:

Unique options: Rat's Nest, Starkonja's Head, Ezomyte Hold

If you've already capped resistances from other gear use an offensive-unique

Resistances
Life
Evasion/Armor/ES
Strength

Amulet:

Unique options: Marylene's Fallacy, Eyes of the Greatwolf

A good rare amulet will have life and spell damage as a prefix, crit chance and crit multi as a suffix.

Crit multi
Life
Crit chance
Spell damage
Strength

--------------- Bandits ---------------

Normal: Oak or Kill - +40 HP
Cruel: Karityn or Kill - +8% attack speed
Merciless: Alira - +1 power charge - MUST HAVE

I went Kill-Kill-Alira, because every 2 passive points means another jewel slot. In my opinion 1 jewel is better than +40hp/+8%spd.

--------------- Ascendancy ---------------

--------------- Passive Tree ---------------

Level 77 Passive
Completed Passive Tree

It's a bit hard to get life in this area of the tree. The completed tree has 174% increased max life. A lot of the damage is coming from crits. There's a 211% crit multi (just about all crit multi in the tree). We grab +2 max frenzy and power charges, but I don't go too out of the way to get them. There's around 200% increased phys damage with some incidental elemental and chaos damage. For a bit more survivability we pick up acrobatics. Vaal pact will keep us at max life pretty much the entire time.

--------------- Jewels ---------------

Depending on exactly how you traverse the tree, you'll have around 4 or 5 jewels.

Priority:
1. %increased max life
Increased life is the main reason we spec into jewels, do not use any without max life on them
2. crit multiplier
3. +% increased phys damage
4. resistances
5. strength

Remember that all of the "x with weapon-type" won't count towards our spells, so ignore those mods.

--------------- Flasks ---------------

I'd recommend 2 defensive flask and 2 HP flask with a 3rd flask for utility/offense.

Uniques: Atziri's Promise, Taste of Hate, Kiara's Determination, Vessel of Vinktar

--------------- Changing to Cyclone ---------------

If you're getting tired of flicker strike this build can easily change to a different CoC physpell build. Both quill rain and your average cyclone build only needs minor changes. You don't even need to re-color your gem sockets or respec the passive tree.

Switching to cyclone:
- Swap flicker strike with cyclone
- Swap multi-strike for life leech
- Swap Terminus est for your weapon of choice
Last edited by FoldedCorner on Jun 15, 2016, 11:54:26 PM
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2016, 6:25:40 PM
Thank u for interesting build! can i ask u but a single question? CAn u describe a little bit more leveling part? for example, where do u switch for this build, or which is the easiest way to lvl up for setup?
I got lucky and bought 5L Terminus on Prophecy for only 5c. I'm so ready for your build. Thanks for posting it!
"
Genorr wrote:
Thank u for interesting build! can i ask u but a single question? CAn u describe a little bit more leveling part? for example, where do u switch for this build, or which is the easiest way to lvl up for setup?

Agreed, some detail on leveling progression/tactics would be helpful.
already done twice on shadow forum, with more detailed threads.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
"
Grim0ire wrote:
"
Genorr wrote:

Agreed, some detail on leveling progression/tactics would be helpful.
+
"
Genorr wrote:

I wasn't planning on using this until a terminus est dropped for me around ~lv 60. I traversed through the tree normally, using blade vortex to steam roll through normal and cruel. By merciless I got a decent dagger and started to CoC with cyclone. Then when I could equip terminus I switched over to flicker strike.
Anything I can do to make this remotely hc viable? xD
Hi there. I have only 1 question, from where u get Endurance Charges on you? =)
Is this any viable with the new CoC changes and 2.4?
I am currently trying my own version of this build. Level using blade vortex until you clear lab on cruel ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info