[2.3] Cast on Critical Rain (Another CoC Quill Rain build)

Changelog
Spoiler
6/8/16: Added Scion Tree and changed Skill gem setup
7/9/16: Some slight editing

First of all I would like to say that I did not create this build. Inspiration was taken from 2 sources which I will link at the bottom. I am simply writing this guide based off tweaks I made, for a few guild mates that are interested in the build coming into Prophecy challenge league.

The purpose of the guide is just to help my friends, use at your own risk! :)

What can this build do

1. Fast clear time, seriously the dps is really good even with >1ex investment.
2. Run any map types. I have yet to come across something I couldn't handle by adjustments. If you try to do a curse immune blood magic map without changing your setup you will die
3. Very fun playstyle that can be tailored to your preference in CoC spells.

What this build requires

Quill rain(required)
Spoiler

How to play and general information

This build makes use of 2 CWDT setups, high evasion and life, phase acrobatics, and high damage output thanks to ridiculous attack speed from Quill rain. The high projectile speed from Quill rain means our effective range is absurd. Couple this with the notable passive King of the Hill for knockback on critical hit with bow and you will be killing mobs and several bosses offscreen and with little chance of taking damage.

Map Mods:

Blood magic: Turn off auras, swap pierce for Life leech if needed
Curse immune: Swap pierce for life leech if needed
Elemental Reflect: Swap your Elemental Spell for Bladefall
Physical Reflect: Swap EK for a second Elemental projectile such as Ice Spear or spark, swap pierce for life leech if needed
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Skill tree

For this build I recommend the Assassin ascendancy with the Shadow class. This allows us to get high critical strike chance and power charge generation without the need for support gems or Voll's Protector. While i'm sure other classes can play this build, Assassin is second to none in producing a 80%+ critical strike chance and doesn't require uniques or gems to keep our CoC proccing constantly.

I played a Scion version of this in Prophecy up to level 90. So far my thoughts about this:

Scion
More Life
More Evasion
Increased Flask recovery nodes
2 Volley fires

Assassin
More Damage
Easier to gear(thanks to crit chance from ascendancy and intelligence)
Can transition to CoC build much earlier
Can run dual curse without items

Overall I think Assassin is better, but Scion is viable as well.

Trees:
Spoiler

Ascendancy:
Spoiler

Scion Ascendancy:
Spoiler

Bandits:
Oak - Kill all - Alira

26 point leveling tree:

52 point leveling tree:

86 point leveling tree:

Finished tree:

Skill Gems

Spoiler
6L - Barrage, Cast on Critical, Increased Critical Strikes, Pierce, EK, Spark
5L - Barrage, Cast on Critical, Increased Critical Strikes, EK, Spark

I prefer Spark for clearing, and Freezing Pulse for tougher bosses.

Goal is to get a 6L as soon as possible to add pierce for a big dps increase. I recommend a Tabula Rasa until you can get a 6L evasion chest or Lightning Coil. Other triggers and non-projectile CoC spells work, but I will not go into that as they require a different skill-tree and some other adjustments.

CWDT setups:

CWDT(lvl 4) - Immortal Call(lvl 6) - Increased Duration - Vaal Grace
CWDT(lvl 4) - Arctic Breath(lvl 7) - Temporal Chains or Enfeeble (lvl 7) - Greater multiple projectiles

Curse/Heralds:

Herald of Ice - Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - Assassin's mark

Utility:

Summon Ice Golem - Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks - Arctic Armor

Leveling
Until you have critical strike nodes and a high crit rare bow, you should use a leveling setup. You can use whatever you like. Flame totem/firestorm or Orb of storms/Spark etc. Get a pair of +1 to lightning/fire gems crystal sceptres by trading a magic crystal sceptre+orb of alteration+ruby ring(for fire) or topaz ring(for lightning). Personally I like Lightning so i'd take Spark linked with added lightning/cold and faster casting in one sceptre and Orb of storms linked with added lightning/cold and elemental focus. This setup should carry you until you're level 50 or so and switch to CoC.

When you have all the critical strike nodes, you can buy a high crit rare bow and switch to CoC. You can do this between the 52 and 86 skillpoint trees. I would recommend looking for one with high attack speed. Other rolls are less important but Crit multi doesn't hurt.

Once you switch to CoC you should have taken the notable passive essence sap.

Later on you can replace this with +2 mana on hit jewels. eg.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gear

To scale your offense you want Spell damage and crit multi. It doesn't hurt to add attack speed, projectile speed, and you may need some accuracy vs bosses.

To scale your defense you want evasion, life, and capped resists on merciless.

For jewels you want a Volley Fire unique jewel placed here. This the the only place you can activate the passive on it. The extra barrage projectiles is what makes barrage my favorite trigger for CoC.

Flasks:

Cold spell CoC:
2x Seething Divine Life Flask of Staunching
Surgeon's Basalt Flask of Warding
Surgeon's Sapphire Flask of Heat
Surgeon's Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline

or

Seething Divine Life Flask of Staunching
Seething Divine Life Flask of Warding
Taste of Hate Sapphire Flask
Surgeon's Jade Flask of Reflexes

Lightning Spell CoC

2x Seething Divine Life Flask of Staunching
Surgeon's Basalt Flask of Warding
Surgeon's Topaz Flask of Grounding

or

Seething Divine Life of Staunching
Seething Divine Life Flask of Warding
Vessel of Vinktar Topaz Flask
Surgeon's Jade Flask of Reflexes
Surgeon's Quicksilver Flask of Grounding

My gear:

Recommended Uniques

Spoiler
Volley Fire unique jewel
Spoiler

Tabula Rasa(recommended)
Spoiler

Ungil's Harmony(recommended)
Spoiler

Drillneck(recommended)
Spoiler

Lightning Coil(recommended)
Spoiler

Inspiration for this build was taken from 2 sources and i've linked the sources below. Check out their guides if you would like.
Spoiler
1. Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build)

2. LiftingnerdBro's CoC, Quill Rain, INSANE DPS Assassin
Guides(old, not updated)
LL BV Trickster - /1699146
CoC Quill Rain - /1668121
Last edited by Caelsora on Jul 9, 2016, 6:27:31 PM
Last bumped on Jul 31, 2016, 3:49:29 PM
June 3, 2016 - Prophecy League Start Date

Thank you for posting this guide. I'm going to try this build for Prophecy and see how things go. I have never run a CoC build and am looking forward to it!

Additional feedback will be provided at later dates.

Thanks again!
In this world evil will always rise to power because evil has no morals, knows no limits and has no concern or consideration for anything other than itself.
Currently testing the build as Scion in prophecy.
Guides(old, not updated)
Last edited by Caelsora on Jun 7, 2016, 6:36:52 AM
Hey bro cool build but cant you only curse enemies with one curse unless u have a unique stat or item for dual curse?
«PVP» -- PVP Guild. Recruiting!

Pm me for: 1v1s / 2v2s / 3v3s / CTFs!
hey man..

why do you have double curse nodes on the passive tree ....but only have one curse on your gear ?

Why did you spend that many points to get to Whispers of doom ?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1462987
"
xweezyfbaby3x wrote:
Hey bro cool build but cant you only curse enemies with one curse unless u have a unique stat or item for dual curse?

Correct, the gear I have listed is on my Scion in prophecy. I wrote the guide for my Assassin on standard. I should have been clear about that.

"
azamantes wrote:
hey man..

why do you have double curse nodes on the passive tree ....but only have one curse on your gear ?

Why did you spend that many points to get to Whispers of doom ?

I will update the guide later tonight. I've done done testing on my Scion and with her skill tree there's no way to justify whispers of doom. On Assassin, you can choose between more survivability or dual curse. I prefer dual-curse as it is a constant in my builds but I will admit it's not terribly necessary for this build. However you're only giving up 6-7 points after you pick up the power charge and health nodes...but I'm probably going to scrap the witch side of the tree completely. It will make INT tougher to gear for though.

I'm going to upload a Scion tree and I will do more testing and show my findings.

Updated guide with skill gems and current Scion tree.

My gear with current skill gem setup(Just got 6L quill, testing stuff for 5L chest setup):

Edit:

Just acquired this thing and running dual curses on my Scion right now. Links are Herald of Ice -Herald of Thunder - Curse on hit - Assassin's Mark - Warlord's Mark. So far so good!

Guides(old, not updated)
Last edited by Caelsora on Jun 13, 2016, 8:28:06 AM
What could be used in 5-link situation? In the new league i still don't have enough currency to afford 6-link and using tabula to go for higher tier maps is kinda meh since it offers nothing defensively.
"
Caelsora wrote:

6L - Barrage, Cast on Critical, Increased Critical Strikes, Pierce, EK, (Elemental CoC Spell)
5L - Barrage, Cast on Critical, Increased Critical Strikes, EK, (Elemental CoC Spell)

I ran T12 maps in a Tabula. I would honestly suggest using a tabula unless you really have a problem staying alive. The 6th link adds SO much damage and I think in this case the best defense is a good offense.
Guides(old, not updated)
Last edited by Caelsora on Jun 15, 2016, 6:59:27 AM
Is kintsugi a good amour for this build?
You keep on mentioning having a high crit bow and attack speed, but you say quill rain is required. So do we need quill rain. Or a high crit bow

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info