Please help people with RSI injury and add a separate keybinding for movement

Hi guys. I have a nasty injury called RSI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury).

This injury is becoming more popular these days and I know that I am not the only gamer suffering from this nasty issue.

Suffering from RSI basically means, using the mouse and clicking a lot causes pain in the hand / lower arm.

Therefore, in any game I play, I usually map any possible action to the keyboard and only use the mouse when absolutely necessary, e.g. for looking around.

This works quite well in most other popular ARPGs (e.g. Diablo 3, Grim Dawn), because these games offer a separate keybinding for character movement.

Thus, I can move my char and use my abilities via keyboard shortcuts and without having to click any mouse buttons.

This is a great relief for my RSI injury and I can play without any issues.

In PoE however, I have to decide if I want to move around by clicking the left mouse button (and therefore play with constant pain in my lower arm) or sacrifice a valuable skill slot in the action bar for explicitly assigning the movement command to a keyboard shortcut.

Of course I choose the latter for obvious reasons.

Frankly, I think that's a little bit unfair to people like me who can't use the mouse without constraints.

I played PoE alot in the past years and also invested quite some money buying the supporter packs. However, this issue keeps me from playing regularly lately, which is very sad.
I truly love this game and would really like to play it again.

So, please devs, think about helping people like me that suffer from RSI, CTS or similar injuries to enjoy this great game by just adding a separate keyboard shortcut for movement...
Last edited by mk53v3n on May 27, 2016, 2:55:57 AM
Last bumped on May 31, 2016, 5:43:38 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
mk53v3n wrote:
Hi guys. I have a nasty injury called RSI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury).

This injury is becoming more popular these days and I know that I am not the only gamer suffering from this nasty issue.

Suffering from RSI basically means, using the mouse and clicking a lot causes pain in the hand / lower arm.

Therefore, in any game I play, I usually map any possible action to the keyboard and only use the mouse when absolutely necessary, e.g. for looking around.

This works quite well in most other popular ARPGs (e.g. Diablo 3, Grim Dawn), because these games offer a separate keybinding for character movement.

Thus, I can move my char and use my abilities via keyboard shortcuts and without having to click any mouse buttons.

This is a great relief for my RSI injury and I can play without any issues.

In PoE however, I have to decide if I want to move around by clicking the left mouse button (and therefore play with constant pain in my lower arm) or sacrifice a valuable skill slot in the action bar for explicitly assigning the movement command to a keyboard shortcut.

Of course I choose the latter for obvious reasons.

Frankly, I think that's a little bit unfair to people like me who can't use the mouse without constraints.

I played PoE alot in the past years and also invested quite some money buying the supporter packs. However, this issue keeps me from playing regularly lately, which is very sad.
I truly love this game and would really like to play it again.

So, please devs, think about helping people like me that suffer from RSI, CTS or similar injuries to enjoy this great game by just adding a separate keyboard shortcut for movement...

Can you mash one hotkey to constantly whirling blades around?
"
IlyaK1986 wrote:
Can you mash one hotkey to constantly whirling blades around?

Frankly, I'm not sure if I understand your question. What exactly do you mean?

If you're asking, if rapidly pressing a key on the keyboard causes any pain, the answer is no.
Most people who suffer from RSI have issues with the hand / arm they are using their mouse with.
Therefore, using the keyboard for whatever reason (moving around or using abilities) is no problem.
I assume the suggestion is to replace movement with a skill, which doesn't help the OP at all. Surely you aren't suggesting every build s/he makes must use whirling blades? And that's a skill slot taken up as well.

I support your suggestion, OP, but recommend you look into remapping software in the meantime, which will give you what you want. My gaming mouse software offers this out of the box (the mouse is a Naos), but there are standalone applications which do the same thing. I guess someone will pop in here sooner or later with suggestions for a specific application. :)
Wash your hands, Exile!
its already in the game thankfully, I use the W key to walk towards my mouse pointer. clicking to walk would driv eme insane too, I couldnt play a game like that.

What you want to do is assign the little feet symbol to a keyboard hotkey instead of ur mouse button in the skills pannel beside the mana globe. Will post a screenshot in a sec to show.

edit: here, like this...

W = force move
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on May 29, 2016, 12:11:14 AM
I think you didn't understand the OP, Snorkle. You suggested exactly what s/he is already doing. Have a second look at the post. ;)
Wash your hands, Exile!
@op get a vertical mouse. they're build to prevent rsi, which is suspected to be caused by the ligaments of your muscles running over the crossed bones of your forearm. Have yet to find a decent gamer variant, though.

@ggg
I really really want a separate movement key, too.
When playing ranged characters and putting a skill on mouse 1, I often end up running into the open mouth of monsters instead of shooting my weapon of choice.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

The screenshot above perfectly illustrates the issue: In order to move the character with a keyboard shortcut, you have to sacrifice a valuable slot in the action bar...

As gibbousmoon said, I'm already doing exactly this. But in my opinion this is an unfair disadvantage for people who suffer from an injury like RSI and are forced to do this.

Other famous ARPGs have realized this problem and offer a separate movement key. It works very well in these games and I really wished PoE would offer that possibility, too.

Such an option would be very easy to implement with a minimum of effort (I dare to say this because I have experience as a software engineer and game developer myself) and I assume it would help a lot of people...

@fusurugi:
Thanks for the advice, but I already use a vertical mouse for over a year now. :)
After testing many mouses, I kept the "Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4". It's no dedicated gaming mouse and surely hasn't the best build quality, but it was the best vertical mouse I could find.
I needed a little bit of practice at first, but by now I can even play shooters and other fast-paced games quite well with it.

@gibbousmoon:
You suggested taking a look at a remapping software. But how exactly does this work? Did you remap your mouse buttons to specific keys on your keyboard, like, if you press a specific key, it executes a mouse-button-click at the current cursor location?
You can have a look at this nice little tool. It is activated with a keyboard shortcut and can have any key assigned to a lot of mouse functions: http://neatdecisions.com/products/neatmouse/
I came here to drink milk and kick ass...and I've just finished my milk.
You could also apply some muscle relieving ointments before using the computer. Along with hand exercises this helps with RSI as before I had gotten it from work so they gave me an arm brace that limited my mobility till it could recover.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info