How to have log file located on HDD instead of SSD

Hi,

game is installed on SSD. I would prefer to have log file instead of game folder in another folder at another disk.

Is it doable? Where can I change path?

Thx in advance
Last edited by Rexeos on May 23, 2016, 10:54:15 PM
Last bumped on May 24, 2016, 1:02:26 AM
Unfortunately you can't really do it without something like symbolic links. Does Windows have those yet?
Yes, it was introduced in Vista on up (As I run 7, I can say that it does have it). I have not played with 8 (shudders) or 10 (shudders again) to know if that functionality is included in those versions, but I am going to say yes.

Hit start, then in the command window, type mklink and hit enter for a list of commands than can be used.

I have never used the command before (and am actually interested in how to do such). Here is a link to a page with the commands: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194%28v=ws.11%29.aspx
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Thx for tip.

I was following http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/.

As Hardlink is not available there I used Junction. Junction seems is for folders while Symlinks are more suitable for individual files.

Gl hf :)
So were you able to do it then by junctioning the Logs folder to the other drive?

In Linux, it's also possible to use a ramdisk to set up some memory space as a temp drive and have your logs go there (which resets on reboot).

I have my logs and shadercache going to memory rather than disk so it resets each boot.
Yes. First you cut paste to new location, than pick link source and drop as junction in its original location. It works for me in Windows.

I better keep logs, they are good in some occasions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info