Diablo postmortem from GDC 2016

Stumbled upon a video of David Brevik (president of Blizzard North) talking about development of original Diablo. Here it is. Quite a few interesting things there, I thought. Nice beard as well.

Edit: And here's the link to original design document.
Last edited by PaperRat on May 16, 2016, 9:02:56 AM
Last bumped on May 16, 2016, 8:59:57 AM
Interesting, thanks for posting.
Very nice and interesting talk even if he is kinda of akward from time to time. So many emotions seeing how that diamond was made. So many sweet memories and nostalgia seeing footage and hearing again that awesome unique soundrack. Diablo 1&2 are such a big part of my childhood, and im seriously very glad you shared this here mate, thank you.

Will PoE ever have even a portion of the impact Diablo 1 had? That was the question constantly popping in my mind. I know i romanticize Diablo way to much (guess its only natural to hold things you had a blast with as a child so high), but i genuinely wonder if today's youngsters will have the same opinion for PoE in 10 or 20 years, as we old-timers do of Diablo 1 & 2 today. Its too soon to tell, PoE started great indeed, but took the wrong turn somewhere, there is still time though. I just hope one day when i see footage and playthroughs of PoE, ill get the same shuddering and nostalgic feeling i got from hearing about the development of the Diablo.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
So thats the guy Blizzard fired. Its a good thing having seen his D3 from a few years ago current D3 looks a lot better.
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
Last edited by TriniGamer on May 15, 2016, 8:21:04 PM
"
TriniGamer wrote:
So thats the guy Blizzard fired. Its a good thing having seen his D3 from a few years ago current D3 looks a lot better.

Artwork assets outside of color scheme of D3 has never been in question. Blizzard artist are top notch and have been for a very long time, and I can't say the same for their actual game design teams anymore. T

D3 may look good and have nice fluid combat, but there's no depth to it at all.
"
TriniGamer wrote:
look better?
There is 8 years between both D3 lol
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
TriniGamer wrote:
look better?
There is 8 years between both D3 lol

LOL I see. Well D2 was great seeing that POE is emulating it.

But the graphics in D3 is really good animations are so top notch compared to POE. I can't comment on WoW but D3's art is really really fantastic no question about it.

Not too real but same time not too cartoon like team fortress 2 its got a special blend.
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
I may be stating the obvious but Brevik worked on D1 and D2 but had absolutely nothing to do with D3. He is still in the arpg business working on Marvel Heroes. Which is a great game but not nearly as complex as PoE. However he is a great CEO and regularly streams playing his own game with his wife. Heroes also has a similar free to play model. However I prefer the complexity and theory crafting of PoE.
"
Kaicimo wrote:
He is still in the arpg business working on Marvel Heroes. Which is a great game but not nearly as complex as PoE. However he is a great CEO and regularly streams playing his own game with his wife. Heroes also has a similar free to play model. However I prefer the complexity and theory crafting of PoE.

He left Marvel Heroes.
Just watched the whole thing, thanks for sharing.
Was quite interesting, too bad the guy wasn't a very good speaker, could have been even better otherwise.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info