Essence Worm Got Me Thinking...

An essence worm,which I promptly sold for 20 chaos, dropped for me today. Which got me thinking about an old unique item idea I had years ago. Because of the similarities in the art design. The idea of teeth protruding from an organic ring that would take something from its user in exchange for offering some benefit.

This was the ring idea that I had years back:

And I STILL think it would be an awesome idea to have in the game, today!

Looking at it now, I would change a few things, firstly the level requirement would be shifted up to level 75. And I would Subtract -1 from max all resists, frenzy, power, and endurance charges. And one more very important thing: Breaks upon death.

Fetch would essentially become a "Hard mode" for the end game. Where you would only be able to enter a zone once. That means, no matter how much stuff drops, that you can only take back whatever u can carry.

It also means that the more things that drop, the more damage you are going to be taking. And if you happen to be in a party, if one party member slips up, then the entire group could wipe instantly.

At the same time, it would be by far the single most effective method of finding rare loot in the entire game.

If it was up to me, Fetch wouldn't be a drop. But would instead involve a recipe similar to The Goddess Series as well as The Taming. So that its availability wouldn't be gated by wealth but only by the player's passion to possess one.

What do you think about a unique item like this being in the game today?
Last bumped on May 9, 2016, 12:35:05 PM
Oh, I had one more too. I think its design is even more relevant today with all the poison mechanics.

Instead of Deal Weapon Damage, though, I would probably just say that all sockets in the item support some special unique counter attack gem.

the lore is messed up, though I posted this before act 4 pfft
I like those. That's what I call truly unique.
Those really are unique and refreshing.

The only issue I can see with the ring is that if you can't create a portal for party play then there is no way to exit your map except quitting the game. Then you will have to re-invite everyone back to group between every map.

Also, something like this could mess up Zana rotations, especially if you end up with some inexperienced people in the group.

That being said, I understand it's just a conceptual design, and I like the direction it's headed in.
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
I would think, from at least an appearance standpoint, a Corrupt Prismatic Ring could work. Could have the Resist loss on the implicit, or perhaps make it "-1 to everything". Life, Mana, Regens, max resists, charges, stats... Probably wouldn't bypass CI, of course, although instead death from putting on a ring would be hilarious.

Perhaps instead of removing portals, it makes them not-exist on the town side? So you can leave, it won't affect Zana instances, but once you leave you're gone. Something like "Opening a portal destroys all other portals connecting to current zone"...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info