Can't lower texture quality.

So I've been getting some FPS problems due to using a not so good computer, however my texture quality is set to high. I thought lowering it would help increase my FPS, but instead I get a black screen and a non-responsive screen when I try to change the setting from high to medium (High and Medium are the only options available). Of course not being able to confirm the setting change due to the non-responsive black screen, the 10 seconds ticks over and when the game becomes responsive again, the setting is still on high.

Also as a sidenote, which texture filtering will give as little strain as possible on the computer. I dont know about this technical stuff, so I stuck it on trilinear cause it's the first setting on the list.
Last bumped on Dec 18, 2017, 4:26:03 PM
Find the production_Config.ini file (usualy located here C:\Users\PCACCname\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile.

Open it with a text program and change the texture quality from 0 to 1 (0 being high 1 being medium)

You can also change it from 2 to 10 which will make your game look like this

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
When in doubt, I usually set everything to lowest settings, then slowly increase one setting at a time, testing after each change. Then you can see what has an effect on visuals and performance and suits your needs. The big things to check/disable are post-processing, screen shake, and filtering. I usually disable those or set them to lowest unless you have some specific reason you want them on.

You can also adjust the texture_quality like lagwin outlined, but I wouldn't personally go above a 2 or 3 ... the higher the number, the worse the quality (but usually better performance). I set my old machine to 2.
Is this still working in any way? I dont find it having an impact anymore (3.1)
"
henloh wrote:
Is this still working in any way? I dont find it having an impact anymore (3.1)

was temp disabled but brought back before the weekend, you need to be using one of the dx9 versions, it may not even help you much, all it dose is lower thr amount of ram usage per asset and after a point it gets so low as to make no difference.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Find the production_Config.ini file (usualy located here C:\Users\PCACCname\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile.

Open it with a text program and change the texture quality from 0 to 1 (0 being high 1 being medium)

You can also change it from 2 to 10 which will make your game look like this

Not that as Chris said, this is effectively "2^N" where N is the value in the configuration, so you get very quickly diminishing returns on reducing it below 3 or 4.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info