Usefullness of Lightning Coil with Melee at big bosses ?

This is something iam dealing with in my current character build up in standard .
Iam not a great player and only play melee builds with i make really tough as nails .

I know that for some big boss fights armour is a huge issue so i tried something
new with my dual wield Scion .
As i encountered Vaal in Merciless i had less then 3 k armour which gave me 30 % damage
reduce at my level and i had my legacy lightning coil which gave me another 30 % reduce .

Despite wearing the Coil as i tested the build versus Vaal i was onehitted although having
2 * 30 % damage reduce and so i had to kite Vaal .

After this desaster i changed my build , put in an armour with lots of armour optimized equip
for more armour and skilled a couple of nodes to get the armour rating up .

As i encountered Dominus i had 8,4 k armour giving me around 54 % reduce at my level and
although i did eat every hit from Dominus (yes a couple of hard ones ) i managed to kill
him without a rip .

So my question is does Lighning Coil make nay sense at all versus these onehitting bosses ?
Seems pretty useless for them ....

Resistances were of course capped at both encounters ...
Last bumped on Apr 29, 2016, 9:06:50 AM
Vaal slam is half fire so LC wasn't as effective as you thought it would be, and that 30% estimated armor reduction was probably closer to 10% versus a hit like that.

Just don't get hit by Vaal slam, Dominus slam, Malachai slam or any other slam that is clearly telegraphed, you aren't supposed to tank it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 29, 2016, 8:44:17 AM
Armour grants Damage Reduction based on the amount of Physical Damage you take. Higher damage = lower percent-reduction. You don't have "30% PDR", but "30% PDR against a white monster of your level". The Vaal Oversoul of course hits way harder than that.

If you want to test two different setups, you should always test them against the same enemy. Tanking Vaal is a matter of having a huge buffer more than anything, whereas Dominus is easier to mitigate and regen away. Especially Dominus' second form is chumped massively by a decent bit of armour and recovery. I can guarantee that the LCoil setup would fare just as well against Dominus.

In general, Dominus is way easier to facetank than Vaal Oversoul. VO is designed like a Dark Souls boss, a.k.a. "don't get hit".
Last edited by Vipermagi on Apr 29, 2016, 8:45:50 AM
"
joerg77 wrote:
This is something iam dealing with in my current character build up in standard .
Iam not a great player and only play melee builds with i make really tough as nails .

I know that for some big boss fights armour is a huge issue so i tried something
new with my dual wield Scion .
As i encountered Vaal in Merciless i had less then 3 k armour which gave me 30 % damage
reduce at my level and i had my legacy lightning coil which gave me another 30 % reduce .

Despite wearing the Coil as i tested the build versus Vaal i was onehitted although having
2 * 30 % damage reduce and so i had to kite Vaal .

After this desaster i changed my build , put in an armour with lots of armour optimized equip
for more armour and skilled a couple of nodes to get the armour rating up .

As i encountered Dominus i had 8,4 k armour giving me around 54 % reduce at my level and
although i did eat every hit from Dominus (yes a couple of hard ones ) i managed to kill
him without a rip .

So my question is does Lighning Coil make nay sense at all versus these onehitting bosses ?
Seems pretty useless for them ....

Resistances were of course capped at both encounters ...

Don't pay attention to the tooltip % dmg reduction for armour. It's generally wrong for any sort of hit that you actually need to mitigate. I suggest looking up how dmg redux is calculated for armour.
for all mirror items check The Forbidden Trove:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2516760

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info