[2.3] The Eraser - An Ice Nova Build - 200k+ dps & amazingly fast clear speed

Introduction

This build has one of the fastest clear speeds possible and is a fast paced play style with extremely high dps.

The build relies on instant life leech so that not only does maintaining your charges encourage you to constantly move forward into new packs of enemies but when you need to heal you don't hit a potion, you teleport into a new pack and ice nova once for full hp. At times outside of combat you may feel you lack mana regen but we rely on curses to regen mana while attacking, so again teleport into large packs to easily maintain mana. The defense relies on Acrobatics for dodge and spell dodge and we boost the chance to dodge using Atziri's Steps boots and the Ascended tree. The Ascended tree also removes the mana cost on Lightning Warp and gives a large boost to dps after you teleport. That combined with the fact that Lightning warp casts 2 curses on hit encourages you to never stop teleporting except to hit Ice Nova once or twice before taking off again.

(This build can also be done as a Witch. It has slightly less defense because of the Ascended tree, but could have a bit more offense.)

TL:DR

Level 78 Map (Including boss kill, not that you can tell with how fast it dies.)

Videos

So now that you know the build is just teleport -> ice nova -> teleport -> ice nova lets take a look at the gear and gems.

Gear and Gems

Spoiler

Skill Gems
Spoiler

Weapon-> Ice Nova, Elemental Focus, Concentrated Effect, Cold to Fire, Faster Casting (6 Slot - Added Cold Damage)
Helm-> Herald of Ice, Empower, Arctic Armor, Enlighten
Chest-> Lightning Warp, Curse on Hit, Warlord's Mark, Assassin's Mark, Reduced Duration
Gloves/Boots-> Cast When Damage Taken, Vaal Grace, Immortal Call, Increased Duration
Boots/Gloves-> Ice Golem, Herald of Thunder, Enlighten, last is your choice (I put Minon Life to recast Ice Golem less)

This build can be completed on a budget but it does require a 5 link chest (prefer Carcass Jack) and a 5 link Pledge of Hands. You could maybe make due without the other pieces but definitely not without the Pledge of Hands and 5 link chest second half of the game. You can level this build very cheaply with any gear and combination of the gems you see, but when you reach the Pledge of Hands it will be like you suddenly hit this huge increase in damage. You will feel so much stronger. The setup in the Vertex Vaal Mask allows you to run a level 24 Herald of Ice and level 24 Arctic Armour fairly cheap. Since you won't be walking, just teleporting, Arctic Armour is a great benefit. I also run Vaal Grace and Immortal Call in a CWDT setup for extra automated defense. Last I put a Herald of Thunder and a derp pet for added crit and damage in my gloves.

Jewels

Spoiler
Examples of Preferred Jewels

Passive Trees
Spoiler
Level 30
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAA5ID6sPxBGWFecWvySLJpUqCyo4LR87fD1fRXxMs1F0UlNVS13yYeJwUnOzf8aJ04w2jumVIJeVl5eio6aZuMrB88M68Gs=

Level 50
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAAVCBbUN0Q5ID6sPxBBYEZYV5xa_IG4i6iSLJpUqCyo4LJwtHzBxOkI7fD1fQZZFfEt4TLNQMFF0UlNVS13yYeJjQ3BSc7N_xonTjDaNv47plSCXlZeXoqOmma6zr5u4ysHzwzrQ9dQj3ajjhOjW8Gs=

Level 75
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAAVCBbUN0Q5ID6sPxBBYEQ8RlhNxFecWQBa_GGodFCBuIuokiyaVKU8qCyo4LJwtHzBxOVI6Qjt8PV9BlkV8S3hMs1AwUXRSU1VLV5RYB1iuXfJepWHiY0Nmnmu3cFJzs3_GhX2J04w2jb-OZI7pj0aVIJeVl5eaO5uhn9-io6aZrJius6-btvq4ysHzwzrQ9dQj1abbXt2o44To1u0873zwa_em99f60g==

Level 90+
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYCAQSzBUIFtQceCSAN0Q5ID6sPxBBYEQ8RlhNxFecWQBZvFr8Yaho4HRQgbiLqJIsmlScvKU8qCyo4LJwtHy3SMHE5UjpCOlg7fDwFPV9BlkV8SVFLeEyDTLNQMFF0UlNVS1XGV5RYB1iuWfNd8l6lYeJjQ2ZUZp5rt3BScNRyD3OzdIF_xoKbg9uFfYnTjDaNv45kjumPRo_6kFWUb5UglS6XlZeXmjuboZ8-n9-iAKKjo6OmmayYrrOvm7b6uMq5k8BmwfPDCcM60B_Q9dQj1abbXt2o42rjhOjW6_XtPO987-vwH_Br8NXyHfem99f5pPrS

Leveling
Spoiler
In the beginning you may complain about lack of mana and may need to hit mana pots a fair bit to keep moving because of the dependency on curses for mana and hp regen. Early on you may want to dual wield wands like a Lifesprig and when you can you can use a Reverberation Rod because it has Spell Echo on it. Soon as you can use spell echo I would start, and soon as you can get Curse on Hit attached to lightning warp, assassin's and warlords curse do it. That will be one of the big power ups you notice along the way up the levels.

This build gets exponentially more powerful as you level up. The instant you can get a 5L Pledge of Hands you will notice a giant increase in playability and power.

Don't get discouraged if you die, because you will be fragile the lower your level is but once you can make it higher you'll notice the ramp up in the playstyle and the huge payoff at the end.

In Lab I have had no issues except for some traps. Because I rely on life leech traps don't let me heal as much as I would like but they aren't so bad I can't deal with them. The mobility of this playstyle is it's huge strength and so you can teleport so fast through traps that a lot are insignificant.

You can't face tank bosses so if that's your style then you won't like this build. This build is for people who want an active playstyle and fast paced fun. You move fast and kill fast, but you still have good dodge and evade plus the leech is out of control powerful because your damage is insanely high.

Bandits
Kill All
Kill All
Alira

Ice Nova Tooltip

This is the Ice Nova tooltip sitting still inside town. Your damage will go over 200k+ on the tooltip during combat once you generate power charges and you will generate those almost instantly. This is all before considering Herald of Ice explosions and other factors into your dps.

Things just go away. You erase them.

Last edited by Murdurface on Jun 9, 2016, 11:32:43 PM
Last bumped on Nov 10, 2016, 9:28:43 AM
If you are looking for an edge of your seat play style then you will love this build. He helped me set this up on a witch recently after I was tired of playing my super tanky slow ranger and it's been a blast for a change of pace. I skyrocketed to level 75 in no time and it's true, you really do just go around erasing the map until it's clean.
I might give my marauder a break and give this a shot. The pacing of my past few marauder builds has been unbearably slow.
Looks interesting. What order did you complete the skill tree in? If you could break it down every 20 points or so that would be much appreciated. Tyvm!
Is This Build Labyrinth Friendly? Like Would You Be Able To Beat The Lab Solo?
I updated the build to include a couple level break downs of the passive tree as requested.

Also, I added a bit of information about leveling for those interested.

Last, the Lab can be completed solo without issue. You can't face tank the boss but I kill him extremely fast. Also, traps aren't really a problem due to how fast I can move through them and how much of them I can teleport to skip.

Unless it was just me not being able to copy the link it appears the Passive skill tree links (apart from 90+) aren't working? They link to a blank passive skill tree.

Apologies if this was just on my end!

Just tried this build from the start.

You will lack a lot of damage in act 4 (normal difficulty). Sorry - but i don't think that this build is useful < ~60 Lvl. The damage-output is really poor and the survivability is even as poor.
"
firefoxsilver wrote:
Unless it was just me not being able to copy the link it appears the Passive skill tree links (apart from 90+) aren't working? They link to a blank passive skill tree.

Apologies if this was just on my end!

They are working. Just be careful that you copy nothing more than the URL. Just paste it into your browser and the skill tree should open fine. It's easier to mark the link from the end to the begin (from right to left).
Im having a problem with getting 1 shotted by ele ref and some mana issues...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info