We never really met... My only regret.

I was put in catholic school at a young age. Wasn't till I was around 16 that it would be my last year before transferring to a public school. I was glad to be transferring, I hated my school. Same uniform day after day... And day after day the same holy Mary's for every suppose sin that I wasn't guilty for. My school did have something unique going for it, we had the biggest swimming pool in the city. In fact our swimming team was the best and gladly my only distraction.

That distraction however would end only to be replaced by something more important. Out of all my classes there was one class that had an empty seat in front of me for the past 3 years. It was not that the teacher didn't want to fill its just no one wanted to sit there because the sun would shine heavily on the desk. It wasnt till the month before my transfer to a public school that a new classmate sat there. He was tall and handsome, I suppose I had a crush on him.

I decided to go early and leave a note expressing my interest however keeping the note anonymous. He replied to my advances and from there I stayed anonymous. That month he became my pen pal across from me and for one month I looked forward to his replies. If your wondering how I managed to conceal myself from him, it was simple. I asked a friend of mine to give me his letters after school away from prying eyes. For one month we had the best conversations... About our goals, our troubles and most importantly our feels. And everyday I would glare at him and just was pleased to see him enjoy the sun gleaming on him.

He was something else, I was infatuated with him. I had a friend I never said hello to and yet I could have. He literally sat infront of me. The only day we touched is when our swimming teacher had an excercise to help the newcomers stay afloat. Since he was new fate randomly chose him as my swimming buddy. It was the first time I felt someone with such soft skin. His arms were so soft and completely hairless but my ignorance of that concealed a deeper... rather foreshadowed a sinister reason.

One day I decided to skip school, just out of ignorance... The following day returning to class the friend that handed me his notes shook her head. I thought perhaps he must have missed school today. The teacher called his name and no response, I looked around the room perhaps he just moved his seat. The next day passed, no sign of him... Another day again.

The day before my transfer to a public school the principal came on the intercom...

"Good morning everyone, I would like to take this time to let everyone know one of our students has passed away... Mercury. In lew of this lets take a moment of silence."

My heart sunk... This excruciating stomach pain. My legs... My hands. I couldn't move. The entire class kept silent... My soul left my body. I was the only one crying. I got up and as I did my friend stood up as well. She handed me his last note to me...

"""
"Hey, if you're reading this most likely I'm gone. Three years ago I was diagnosed with leukemia. Boohoo me right? Anyways I thought because of the chemo that joining the swimming team would be to my advantage. Hairless, soft skin. Heh no friction against the water? Your probably crying but don't. That would mean pity for me on your behalf. Instead smile and celebrate, I lived a normal life till the end. Sheesh stop crying :P

Btw I knew it was you the whole time, yes you... Swimming partner. You repeated a word from one of my letters and yeah I asked a friend to spy on you. You're not the only one with friends... Ha!!!

Anyways I do have one regret l... I never formally introduced myself... Hi I'm Mercury. Wish I had the courage to do so. Anyways you're the best thing next to Nutella. I could have told you about the leukemia but I didn't want to have any awkward moments or elephants in the room. Again anyways... Thanks, I'm sure you know why. Don't let anyone hurt your spirit I sure haven't. Oh one more thing keep smiling.

A friend I never said hello to

Mercury

"""

I've learned my lesson well...
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Apr 16, 2016, 1:16:22 AM
Last bumped on Apr 19, 2016, 8:34:34 PM
In lieu of giving you valid feedback, I'm just going to mock you a little. Okay, mission accomplished. (It's okay if you didn't catch it.)
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
That was actually kinda cool. Thanks for that Solwitch!

^ never thought I would say that to you...but honestly this is the first of your posts that I can actually understand.

:]
Sol, thank you.
This is not just AST.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info