[2.2]Low Life crit Vaal Molten Shell Occultist (Insane DMG)

"
a1mandf1re wrote:
do you not have problems with hitstun relying only on the occultist ascendancy node?

Not really, you obviously have to get used to using VMS only outside of packs so the cast isn't interrupted by a stun, but once you got VMS active you are basically at full ES all the time and can't get stunned.
Is there any other reason you went crit other than that you already had crit gear?

Let's compare crit and non-crit:

Elemental overload is very similar to crit in damage scaling, it is basically a 400% crit multi for the cost of one passive point for non-crit.

My tests showed that non-crit can eliminate most packs in t10+ maps in 1 or 2 hits (with Whirling Blades as activator)
So for damage scaling crit is completely unnecessary.

A second part of why people go crit, aside from damage, is free status ailments.

However, with Elementalist, we also get all the status ailments on every non-crit hit as long as Conflux is up.

Let's also not forget that base crit chance of VMS is actually very low.

So, going crit requires pretty heavy investment in both gear and passives, way more than non-crit, and yet all you get for it is... a few second less on boss kills, and reduced survivability?
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Apr 1, 2016, 9:36:20 AM
"
Shajirr wrote:
Is there any other reason you went crit other than that you already had crit gear?

Let's compare crit and non-crit:

Elemental overload is very similar to crit in damage scaling, it is basically a 400% crit multi for the cost of one passive point for non-crit.

My tests showed that non-crit can eliminate most packs in t10+ maps in 1 or 2 hits (with Whirling Blades as activator)
So for damage scaling crit is completely unnecessary.

A second part of why people go crit, aside from damage, is free status ailments.

However, with Elementalist, we also get all the status ailments on every non-crit hit as long as Conflux is up.

Let's also not forget that base crit chance of VMS is actually very low.

So, going crit requires pretty heavy investment in both gear and passives, way more than non-crit, and yet all you get for it is... a few second less on boss kills, and reduced survivability?

Yes you are correct, crit is not very efficient. For me personally the challenge was my reason for going crit. If you want the most efficient VMS build, look for a life based non crit full chaos conversion VMS build, i think mathil did one a few days ago. I just wanted to try smth out on my own and it does work pretty good, not as good as other VMS builds, but still better than most non-VMS builds
Also in my opinion elemental overload is pretty op and i usually dont like op stuff.
So crit is good enough for my likings and i alrdy got the gear for it.
Hmm, and why don't you use Herald of Ice?
1)AOE is virtually increased by it's shatters
2)With Chill of Corruption ( even non-leg) Soul-gaining becomes rather pretty.

"
Shajirr wrote:

Why 400%? It's only 40% more damage. With VMS crit mechanics it's worse then crit's without additional multi...
"
Horhen wrote:
Hmm, and why don't you use Herald of Ice?
1)AOE is virtually increased by it's shatters
2)With Chill of Corruption ( even non-leg) Soul-gaining becomes rather pretty.

"
Shajirr wrote:

Why 400%? It's only 40% more damage. With VMS crit mechanics it's worse then crit's without additional multi...

HoI is an AOE increase but you also get more vulnerable to reflect and would have to sacrifice PoF/PoL or Discipline since there is no space and Anger is a HUGE Dmg boost you wouldnt want to drop for some AOE. Also my VMS is almost 100% of the time up and the AOE is not too bad imo.

At the end you could drop POL and put in HoI for even more dmg and some AOE+more than 100% uptime on VMS, but i dont think it is necessary.

And about Elemental Overload, non crit is way more effective, since you can drop so many nodes like the Power Charges and stuff and only loose slight amount of dmg since it says "more elemental dmg" and not increased elemental dmg so that all Ele dmg increases apply to those 40%.
I still like crit tho.
Well, you've said
"
Thelm0n wrote:

Contras:
-pretty bad in shitty maps (hard to sustain VMS)
-low Area of Effect

Both troubles can be soften with HoI.
"
Horhen wrote:
Well, you've said
"
Thelm0n wrote:

Contras:
-pretty bad in shitty maps (hard to sustain VMS)
-low Area of Effect

Both troubles can be soften with HoI.

soften yes, but i dont think it is worth.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info