[now 2.3] Inquisitor Crit Ball lightning Totem build ------ Heralds of Obelisk

before 2.4

It does not seem this build is touched in anyway with 2.4 patch notes, not at all, I imagine some new map boss can demolish my totem quite fast, but that's the worst I can think of. still the same with everything

OK the title is sort of a lie, 2.3 build makes zero alterations to the 2.2 build what so ever, 2 extra ascendancy pts take whatever you want.

2.2 build below

update gear @ 2016/03/25
update gear @ 2016/03/31
update gear @2016/4/22, attempt of getting 21/20 ball lightning failed, don't think I will play this char much
update gear @ 2016/4/29, now with 6L

This build utilize the unique staff sire of shards, with good aoe boost from passives and carcass jack chest armour, create ball lightning nova totems which can cover your whole screen with lightning balls, very much like the notorious bloodline mod "heralds of obelisk", with inquisitor class big boost to crit elemental damage, enemy will receive big crit damage "zap" from multiple lightning balls under shocked status with 0 lightning resistance, well fair to say they die pretty fast. Ball lightning as a skill has low base damage, in the past always had a problem against single target with high elemental res, inquisitor is the prefect solution to that.

Noted ball lightning is not the best sire of shards totem skill, I make this build to meet certain requirements, and it does.

pro

1, Very high crit multi = super fast pack clearing speed
2, Ignore ele resist = pretty fast boss/rare/exile/whatnot clearing speed
3, Easy leveling, easy entering end-game, fairly cheap.
4, Good kiting ablility, whole screen AOE, decent Izaro build.
5, Totems take damage so you won't
6, Lightning bolts everywhere, it's pretty
7, Sire of shards built in MTX, money saver

con

1, Ball lightning's base damage is low, 5L will not be able to shock high life target in high tier maps, 6L is a must if you want to level high.
2, Too many blue balls, frost and storm bearer monsters are very dangerous because it's hard to see their effects.
3, Sometimes too many lightning bolts can cause heavy frame drop with notsogood computers, such as when you put down totem near a shock nova shrine against a big perandus pack.
4, It's not boring per se, but also not very exciting a build. The problem with all totem builds

passives

The idea is
1, dual totem
2, as much crit chance as possible
3, as much crit damage as possible
4, as much area radius as possible

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUBAQKWBAcEswVCBx4I9A5IEZYTcRZvFr8aOBzcHRQfAiL0JKomlScvKgsqEyycNsU26TpYOtg8BT1fQZZDyEShRZ1JUUmxTLNOrk8EUlNTUlVLVcZYrljlWfNaK1ugXfJepV8qYeJknWZUZp5o8mpDbAttGXBScYVyD3wOf8aCm4Pbg_OFe4nTi4yMNo5kjxqPRo_6kFWSbpMnlS6XlZf0mjua4Jx7n9-hL6IAo_KnCKdVrhKus7E2sUK2-rmTvFa86r6KwFTAZsMJwxPQH9D10nzVptfP2CTa3eNq6-Tr7uv17DjtPO1h73zviO_r8B_w1fId8xH3pvk3-d360g==

bandits: life/cast speed/skill point (charge if use victario's amulet)

You can also take cast speed instead of crit multi, the way I see it is you can get 12% cast speed from an amulet which equals 3 points, and 3 points in passives equal 40%-50% crit multi,that you certainly won't get from an amulet. But crit multi over cast speed might not be the best option since more cast speed makes more lightning balls more coverage more zaps, it's hard to test which is better so I go with tooltip.

ascendancy

templar - inquisitor,no other option
inevitable judgement - 4 pts
augury of penitence - 2 pts
also no other option

item selection

must-have item

sire of shards

build enabler, this is how you create a BL nova totem

spire of stone

Ball lighting totem is not a insta-kill totem, we don't run purity auras and we only took one totem cluster, all of these hardly give enough totem defense. Also this build needs to place your totem directly into enemy pack to have max impact, this jewel is how you make your totem tanky

mantra of flames

Mantra of flames may seems to be an odd choice, but it's absolutely essential to the build. The Inquisitor node righteous providence has "+45% crit multi against enemies affected by element status", which is not a problem in lower maps since you can shock enemies easily, but in higher maps you can't always shock and certainly won't against rares and bosses, by using mantra of flames, ball lightning now can ignite, doesn't matter this ignition deals next to no damage, ignite unlike shock will last a certain duration even if it's only 0.1 fire damage, this ignition can activate this crit multi boost and that's all we want.
since we don't care how much the fire damage is, you can buy a whole bunch dumpster ones and vaal them until you get a silence immune one, always good to have one jewel does that as a caster build.

the rest

glove

this item slot is tricky, you have multiple choice
1, Maligaro's virtuosity is obvious good, not only gives crit chance and crit multi, the 30 dex filler certainly makes other slots easier to choose.
2, Facebreaker gives the most crit multi, and crit multi is pretty much the number one stats we are looking for. Also it's very cheap, so we can vaal a whole bunch to get +1 gem for searing bond or 6% cast speed
3, Shadows and dust gives crit chance and multi, also rampage is quite some damage booster.
4, Southbound is a specific choice when you want charges but not giving up carcass jack (passive trees also need to change accordingly), you will be using Victario's acuity unique amulet, which will give you frenzy and power charge on kill, with Southbound you will get the kill from the tiny little ignite damage. Herald of thunder + curse on hit + assassin's mark is another option but frenzy charges seem sexier. Personally I believe this is the best approach , but don't have enough money to buy everything to test. PS: tried it, no it's not better
5, You can also use any good rare gloves, the one glove you don't want is Winds of change, projectile speed is not welcome in this build, you actually want your lightning ball move as slow as possible.

boots

A pair of life-res-movement speed rare is all you want
Brinerot whalers warband unique or Darkray vectors (+1 frenzy charge) works also

chest armour

1, Carcass jack is BIS, area radius and area damage is really good, mostly radius, you don't need to invest too much to link the chest since our totem in on weapon.
2, The restless ward is good with Doedre's flask, gives you charges.
3, lighting coil if you can manage your resist, cloak of flame and belly of the beast even kaom's heart are also good.
4, good rares can do the job if you don't want to spend money here or can't manage your resist right.

head armour

Really not much considerations here, a good rare and that's it. Maybe Chitus' apex for exp gain

amulet

1, Victario's acuity need to be used along with Southbound Glove, otherwise your totem get the kill leaves you nothing.
2, If you take multiple power charges and use The restless ward + Doedre's elixir, then you may have enough base crit chance to offset Marylene's fallacy's downside and enjoy it's massive massive crit multi, I don't have enough resource to test, it might be good but somehow I believe it to be quite clunky.
3, A good rare with life + cast speed + crit multi, mana regen or resistances are good stats too.

rings

There're several unique quite good with the build, mostly legacy items which is available again in perandus SC/HC league.
The Taming gives general damage boost against shocked/ignited enemies
Berek's respite can "transfer" shock to nearby enemy for 2 sec even if you can't shock that enemy.
Valako's sign boost lightning damage a lot.
Gifts from above not only good for MF, consecrated ground effect is a very good defense.
Rigwald's crest if you can't afford a MTX pet.

Life + res rares are always solid choices , get cast speed and mana regen if you can.

Call of the brotherhood can freeze/shatter enemy, but with ball lightning it pretty much guaranteed you won't be able to shock directly, so this one is a no.

belt

Life res filler slot mainly. HeadHunter? I wish.

flasks

You really want a surgeon's silver flask, the onslaught cast speed boost is the shite.

jewels

life
crit multi
cast speed
base damage mods like area/lightning/spell/proj/spell with staff
resist filler

skills

ball lightning

4L = Ball lighting + faster casting + spell totem + increased critical strikes
5L = 4L + increased area effect
6L = 5L + controlled destruction

flame totem

This is not required in main build at all, only in certain situations you want to use flame totem such as Atziri.
You want to use a 5L

in your weapon swap slot, it's dirt cheap, get one and self craft it, you want +2 fire gem with cast speed, crit chance for spells, crit multi or added damage to spells
5L = flame totem + faster casting + added lightning damage + increased critical strikes + increased crit damage.

searing bond

It's pretty handy against the annoying rares monsters with shield mod
4L = searing bond + increased burning damage + rapid decay + elemental focus
in early form of the build, searing bond is also one efficient way to apply burning.

auras

Wrath + arctic armour, heralds don't really works here since ball lightning has very low damage effectiveness.
Blasphemied enfeeble is ok but the lost of chill effect of arctic armour is hard to compensate.

utility

flame dash
rallying cry for mana regen
vaal lightning trap for bosses with a high life pool.
summon lightning golem for cast speed
CWDT immortal call

leveling

Leveling with crit flame totem and searing bond, as a matter of fact keep using flame totem untill you get a 5L sire of shards, 4L flame totem (faster casting + crit chance + added lightning dmg)is better than ball lightning totem.

passive progression

From this point on just fill crit multi life and jewel sockets. You can certainly switch to staff spec early or just go with staff crit route from beginning, level 49 is when sire of shards became available.

good leveling uniques

example character

gear

stats

lvl 93 - edit
5.02k life
6L ball lightning totem tool tip
4.45k with lightning golem
_____ with rally cry
_____ with silver flask
crit chance 50% (57% freshly summoned) with added lightning dmg gem not controlled destruciton.
crit multi 480%ish (525% against burning/shocked), dropped some crit multi for occulist's dominion node in witch area

Video? My toaster says no, m'kay.

#makedonalddrumpfagain
Last edited by TravisL on Aug 31, 2016, 5:20:04 AM
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2016, 8:18:21 AM
u forgot bandits and ascendancy.

but a nice build.
im playing it atm.

just wondering why u didnt pick up the totem damage cluster
with shamanistic fury

now 6 link, try it in T14 map, melting things no problem. Been playing so many alt char, don't have a high level crit dmg or a ctr destruction gem to try on, 19/20 added lightning is just a little bit better for the moment.

BUT, the mana cost is quite a boost, from 104 to 135 and it's with a 20/20gem not even a 21/20 one. 104 mana I don't have to use rallying cry ,but now 135 mana don't have a choice for not pushing dat button, which makes -40% and -60% regen map quite painful, have to use a mana or hybrid pot, since I kill pretty fast packs gives no issue, but bosses with no adds annoys the hell out of me. Solution should be simple, this char use a pair of trash boots, I just have to upgrade to a better tri-res boots so I can free some resist from rings , then get a 55% mana regen left ring, well end of league and I'm lazy, maybe someday.
Last edited by TravisL on Apr 29, 2016, 3:38:41 AM
"
phie wrote:
u forgot bandits and ascendancy.

but a nice build.
im playing it atm.

just wondering why u didnt pick up the totem damage cluster
with shamanistic fury

bandits should be life/cast speed/ skill point (charge if going with victario amulet),not what I took though, I always take 3 skill points or 2 points and a charge with a char.

ascendancy is simple, templar - inquisitor, taking inevitable judgement (4 pts) and augury of penitence (2 pts)

the shamanistic fury cluster, need 4 pts, each points has 12% totem dmg value, which you can get everywhere,such as shadow's elemental focus node, witch's lightning walker node and templar's celestral punishment nodes, all of them gives at least 12% per node also something else. 15% totem placement speed is not really important for a non-insta kill totem, with spire of stones my totem can stand quite tanky, ignore almost anything except a super big hit like Malachai's punch. then it comes down to 12% damage vs 15% crit multi or 4/5% life, non of those I want to give up. out of game now, and I prbly will do a testing crit multi vs increased base dmg for 6L, but by the looks of it crit multi is still beter.

PS: I never test it, too lazy, sue me!
Last edited by TravisL on May 23, 2016, 3:54:08 AM
how much crit chance u have atm?
Former old diablo 2 median player.
What do you think about running Empire's Grasp gloves and using Projectile Weakness curse? Then the ball lightning totems become vacuum ball lightning totems, also projectile weakness is a good damage curse.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
"
What do you think about running Empire's Grasp gloves and using Projectile Weakness curse? Then the ball lightning totems become vacuum ball lightning totems, also projectile weakness is a good damage curse.

it could be a nice set up, but my mana management is pretty tight, and curses are big mana eaters.

plus I don't think this set up would bring more clearing speed since BL totem is melting monsters anyway, but nice idea I would say, certainly very fun.
"
pipendrusu wrote:
how much crit chance u have atm?

50%ish freshly summons totem with controlled destruction, feels enough
Doing this build, the only real "personal" touch I've added is using orb of storms + PCoC + 7 Power Charges, and depending on my gearing situation, then I'll add Kaoms Heart although very unneccessary. I am litterally placing totems and running. Just my play style.

10/10 for the build!

Just 6 Linked my Sire of Shards with about 13 exalts worth of damn fuses! Hah!

Level 60 sitting at around 60% Crit Chance. I'm running clarity + arctic armor. Not sure how dropping wrath will affect me, I'm not mapping yet, but I hope i'll be able to do the full atlas with this build.

Oh and I'll be utilizing the Concentrated Ground ascendancy skills, it seems to good to give up!
"Your grandchildren will awaken screaming in memory of what I utter today!"
- Path of Exile, Legacy Whispers of Doom Keystone
Last edited by NaarJitsu on Sep 15, 2016, 9:34:26 PM
Switched to power charge as well, my gems are still 19ish with no Q, but clearing maps easily. Thinking of getting a 45% reduced proj speed helm and remove slower proj for maybe crit damage.

Got a 6l chest on another char and might switch it, will go either dual curse and add ass-mark, or put in blind support. Also thinking about going EB with a sulphur flask, fits in nice with the consecrated ground ascendancy tree.

All gear:
Spoiler

Edit: 6-linked another carcass jack in 64 fuses. Replaced temp chains with proj weakness, added ass-mark and windscream for +1 curse (i guess you can run enfeeble/temp chains as defensive setup in higher maps). clearing 10s and 11s as I explore the atlas.
Last edited by BakkieSloot on Sep 29, 2016, 6:43:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info