[2.3] Elementalist ignite based Incinerate, INSANE burst dps with Scolds+VMS - way over 1M

Intro: Hi, I've decided to show off my build because it's almost done/perfect and won't get much better any time soon.

What I consider best about this build is amount of used unique mechanics which work exceptionally well together.

Please note that this is NOT a guide and this build is not even close to be based on low budget.

Keywords: Incinerate, Scold's Bridle, VMS, Consuming Dark, Emberwake, Taming, Arcane Conflux, Beacon of Ruin, CI, Vaal Pact, Elemental Overload, 2 curses, 2 golems etc.

Pros & Cons:
+ Huge damage, fast clear speed.
+ No problem with reflect and other unpopular mods like no regen and lower recovery.
+ Using interesting and rare mechanics.

- Can't do Blood Magic and No leech mods.
- Multi-phase encounters are annoying because of short duration of VMS (e.g. Core, Colosseum and Atziri) but doable because Incinerate itself does a lot of dmg on it's own.

Videos

Atziri
I've done normal Atziri few days ago just to test how the build performs there. Unfortunately i forgot to record it. However I've ran through whole place like knife through butter, including Atziri. Imho Atziri is not even the best place to compare build performance. She is not even able to oneshot me. I just stood at one place and grilled her ass with Incinerate. Simple as that.

Don't know if it's Uber viable and I'm not even going to try since I don't have whole set and don't want to buy it (not worth it on STD anymore). I think it would be doable, but I would have to be more careful because of possible oneshots? Dunno rly. Same story basically with any other build.

Palace, Dominus

Enfeeble, Ele Waekness, 48% more life, 91% extra fire damage, 40% cast and attack speed and no regen
Sorry for poor sound quality and lag, my PC is not able to handle VMS with recording on without occasional lag.

http://plays.tv/video/56ee948675dba391a9

Full mods are visible in transition phase. I always use VMS on first phase to burst him down before he use Touch of God to avoid annoying kiting. Last phase is not a threat even without VMS.

Conservatory, Shadow of the Vaal

Enfeeble, 98% extra cold damage, and no regen
Sorry for poor sound quality and lag, my PC is not able to handle VMS with recording on without occasional lag.

http://plays.tv/s/KiuUxJwQHGPQ

Gear

Build enabling items

Scold's Bridle - VMS isn't triggered by Incinerate without this item.

Consuming Dark - immunity to ele reflect, legacy version is mandatory because of leech conversion from fire to chaos (Hungry Abyss jewel).

Important items

Eye of Chayula - stun immunity and relatively cheap amu to get +1 curse on.

Taming & Emberwake - combo explained in Mechanics and synergies section.

The rest of items

Rares - important to get as much ES and resists as possible.

Infernal Mantle - nice ES, additional chaos conversion and huge DPS boost.

Gang's Momentum - cheap boots to get +1 gem levels on, relatively good stats.

Doryani's Invitation - all mods very usefull, including strenght.

Flasks

I think there is no need for explanation :)

Jewels

Energy From Within - BIS for ES pool. It gives you 52% increased maximum ES with nearby Melding wheel for 5 points which is 10.5 per 1 point.

Efficient Training - important to fulfill strenght requirement for VMS.

Hungry Abyss - leech conversion from other damage sources to be based on chaos damage instead (e.g. Vinktar or Doryani's belt).

Pandemonium Desire Cobalt Jewel - this is GG jewel I crafted.

Note - as you can see, you have 3 jewels which can be corrupted by Vaal orb and therefore have some additional usefull mod. 1 jewel should have immunity to silence. Being silenced is almost as annoying as being stunned. Other two jewels should have probably something like +1% increased chaos damage per equipped corrupted item while having as many corrupted items as possible.

Gems

Note that x means it doesn't matter what level or quality the gem has. It simply doesn't improve anything. Perfect example is Life Leech where level and quality is rendered useless because of Vaal Pact.

Weapon - golems:
3 link - CWDT 21/20, Flame Golem 20/23, Lightning Golem 21/20

Shield - movement skill:
2 link - Lightning Warp 21/20, Less Duration 21/20
1 socket - Vaal Haste 10/0
More defensive alternative with less utility (not working over obstackles):
3 link - Fortify 20/23, Faster Attacks 20/23, Whirling Blades 20/23

Chest - main skill:
6 link - Incinerate 21/20, Life Leech x/x, Mana Leech 21/20, LMP 20/23, Faster Casting 20/23, Faster Projetiles 20/23

Helmet - auras:
4 link - Anger 21/x, Discipline 21/x, Enlighten 4/x, Empower 4/x

Gloves - curses:
4 link - CWDT 1/23, Temporal Chains and Poacher's Mark both 5/23, Ice Spear 8/23

Boots - VMS:
4 link - VMS 20/20, Life Leech x/x, Concentrated Effect 21/20, Empower 4/x

Deal with the bandits

Normal - kill all for 1 passive point.
Alternative could be +10% all resists if you would have issues with getting resists on gear. This build has only 2 slots for rares and getting over cap could be an issue with cheaper gear.

Cruel - help Alira for +5% cast speed since cast speed is the most valuable offensive stat.
Alternative is 1 passive point if you have lower level than me and therefore would need that point to get some better node.

Merciless - kill all for 1 passive point.
No need for any +1 max charge. One more Frenzy charge with Poacher's Mark is kinda usefull, but less than 1 passive point.

Mechanics and synergies

This is the best part.

Scold's Bridle, VMS and Incinerate - well known combo for obvious reason (insane burst dmg). Showed in some builds already.

Taming and Emberwake - I considered this great even before 2.2, but man with Ascendancy and introduced Arcane Conflux + Beacon of Ruin it is just epic. You get 10% increased damage per every status ailment. With Arcane Conflux its 30% after first hit (chill, shock and ignite) and then with every additional hit it is another 10% with stackable ignite. Beacon of Ruin proliferates these ignites between targets. 2 targets stacked on each other? 2 times faster stacking! Why not :)

Consuming Dark - again very well known choice for fire based builds. It eliminates threat of reflect and allows you to use WB + Fortify. On top of that it gives you poison on hit which is another sweet 20% multiplier for your chaos damage.

Emberwake, Consuming Dark, Arcane Conflux and Beacon of Ruin - before 2.2 I used ignites solely for increased damage from Taming because I did only small part of my damage as fire, the rest was just chaos damage and therefore ignite stacks were pathetic damage-wise. However with Arcane Conflux burn actually hurts even with the damn Incinerate because it is calculated from whole hit, not just the fire part. I know - Emberwake has 80% less burning damage mod, but all you need to compensate this is more than 5 ignites. My Incinerate is over 14 casts per second and monsters are usually stacked on each other.

Isn't killing monsters with burn from Incinerate crazy? :D Not even mentioning what happens with bosses when you pop VMS and have Arcane Conflux up.

Scold's Bridle , CWDT curse and Flame Golem - golems are always on and curses as well. I've chosen low lvl CWDT because I value uptime more than curse effectiveness. Besides quite important mod on Temp Chains (increased debuff duration) is just static value through all levels.

Few additional interesting things used:

Poacher's mark is used for faster recharge of flask charges and multiplier from Frenzy charges.

Ice Spear is used to proc Elemental Overload (sweet 40% multiplier - again for both, Incinerate and VMS).

Arcane Conflux isn't just what I mentioned already. It is also 50% multiplier because of shocks and boosts your survivability because of preemptive chill.

Hungry Abyss jewel is used to convert 30% leech from lightning on Vinktar to leech from chaos damage instead. This is just insane. On top of that it converts minor leech on Doryani's Invitation aswell.

Note - best thing is they all work together. All you do is just spam Incinerate and use VMS on bosses. It's all like one huge pile of double dipping mechanics.

Survivability

- 10k ES (I believe it is possible to do over 12k with GG rares).
- Temp chains and optional Enfeeble instead of Poacher's Mark.
- Vaal Pact with Life Leech gem.
- Aditional 30% leech from Vinktar (Hungry Abyss jewel converts leech from lightning to chaos).
- Rumi's flask for armor and block.
- Atziri's Promise for additional leech from chaos.
- Block from shield.
- Stun immunity (Chauyla).
- Chaos immunuty (CI).
- Silence immunity (Jewel).

DPS

Icinerate base tooltip is 24120 DPS. Tooltip with all flasks, Elemental Overload and 3 Frenzy charges is 53561 DPS. This is without Vaal Haste since I use it only on boss and Incinerate itself does minor dps there.
Screenshot

Now since it is Incinerate, there is 2,5x multiplier for phases. Another 1,5x multipler for shock from Vintar or Arcane Conflux and another increase from Emberwake Taming combo which is impossible to determine.

Vaal Molten Shell base tooltip is 35224 damage per explosion. With all flasks, Ele Overload and 3 Frenzy charges it is 69687 damage per explosion. Cast speed of Incinerate with Silver flask and Vaal Haste is 16,39. This is 1142169 DPS on VMS. And again I'm not counting increase from shock or Emberwake + Taming combo.
Screenshot

Taming + Emberwake
- I'm not going to elaborate on how much "real" dps I can get with this combo, but if you are curious how it works here is an axample of what happens with 1 target and having Arcane Conflux up:

- 16,4 casts per second.
- 100% chance to ignite with Conflux. Without Conflux 35% with Incinerate and 55% for VMS.
- Each cast is hit with both Incinerate and VMS so 2 possible stacks of ignite per cast.
- Each stack is 10% increased damage.

16,4 x 2 x 10 = 328% INCREASED DAMAGE for both Incinerate and VMS per each second of casting when Arcane Conflux is up. My Ignite lasts almost 6 seconds without including Temp Chains. This means 328 x 6 = almost 1970% INCREASED DAMAGE after 5 seconds. I have Beacon of Ruin remember? 2 targets on top of each other means 2 times faster stacking. Double boss mod is really funny :)

Emberwake has cap of 300 ignites on target equal to 3000% increased damage. Note that this is reachable only under very rare circumstances (multiple stacked targets) ... and they would be dead long before you would reach mentioned cap.

Additional DPS - When Arcane Conflux is up Ignite itself does a lot of damage since its stacklable and is based on whole hit, not just 40% non-converted fire damage. Also I do stackable poison based on 60% of fire damage conversion to chaos damage. Sometimes I leave boss at like 30% hp and he just dies to dots.

I have no clue what real dps is, but trust me... its INSANE.

Upgrades

21/20 Lightning Golem is additional 2% cast speed because of 100% increased Golem effect because of Liege of Primordial.

5/23 temporal Chains and Poacher's Mark for better curse effectivity.

8/23 Ice Spear for faster projectiles

1/23 Cast When Damage Taken for increased Ice Spear damage.

Luxury upgrades

Legacy Consuming Dark with as high spell dmg roll as possible and corrupted Culling Strike.

Infernal Mantle with corrupted +1 to lvl of all gems.

GG rare gloves and shield for better ES pool.

Corrupted Scold's Bridle or rare gloves with +1 level of socketed gems to boost auras and reduce mana reservation.

All gear corrupted to benefit from +1% to chaos damage per equipped corrupted item from corrupted mod on jewel (there is possibility to have 2 jewels with this mod). This is just minor upgrade and therefore I don't see point in trying. Risk/reward ratio is awful.

Skyforth and Warped Timepiece instead of Chayula and Gang's Momentum.

My viewpoint of changes coming with patch 2.3

Retroactive chaos conversion nerf isn't that severe. It isn't necessary to have 100% conversion to handle elemental reflect. I've done ele reflect map mod with 60% already with no issues and I bet I could do it even with -max resists. I will report the result as soon as I will get this map mod combination.

Most annoying thing about this change is how it affects leech with Hungry Abyss jewel. It is 40% nerf to leech, but I still leech more than enough.

I would like to mention it is boost to damage. With 100% conversion you could ignite enemies only under the effect of Arcane Conflux... which is impossible to get on single target like bosses. When part of your damage is fire, you can ignite packs with no limitation.

Vaal Molten Shell nerf is big, but mostlz for builds which use VMS to clear whole map. This build is mainly Incinerator and VMS is used only to burst bosses which die in first few seconds anyway... and they still do. I will demonstrate that in some videos which I'm planning to record.

Liege of Primordial after 2.3 allows you to have two golems at the same time. I recommend you to have Lightning Golem for 20% cast speed and Flame Golem for 80% increased fire damage.

Thank you for being interested in the build!

----------------------------------------- changelog ------------------------------------------
March 30th - fixed some typos and added bandit choices with an explanation.
April 1st - overall upgrades. Changed logo, Added jewels, flasks and ascendancy points.
April 2nd - further improvements to formatting.
June 6th - updated almost all sections with changes I made since last update. Damage and Gear sections still need some work. Added section with explanation of how 2.3 changes affects this build.

June 7th - updated DPS section.
Last edited by Diphal on Jun 6, 2016, 5:20:33 PM
Last bumped on Oct 21, 2016, 12:02:24 PM
Just going to make one suggestion which you don't seem to know:

If you link Spell Echo to Vaal Molten shell it will explode twice when anything hits you or when you proc it with scolds, resulting in a 80% damage multiplier (since it repeats twice with a 10% damage penalty).
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mannoth wrote:

If you link Spell Echo to Vaal Molten shell it will explode twice when anything hits you or when you proc it with scolds, resulting in a 80% damage multiplier (since it repeats twice with a 10% damage penalty).

I do not think it works anymore.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1462987
"
Mannoth wrote:

Is this verified? I play Scold's VMS for a long time and I know it was possible to have 2 Vaal Molten Shells when used with Spell Echo, but this bug was fixed in 2.1.

Quote from patch notes:
"
Fixed a bug where Molten Shell could be applied multiple times via Spell Echo.
Oh my bad, didn't see that in the patch notes in 2.1, nevermind me then :\
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Let's say im not rich enough for the taming.
Is this build still viable? I mean the tooltip damage and calculated stacking ignites itself already seem quite sweet without the damage mult from the taming. Thoughts?
Just wondering if the consuming dark is a requirement for this build. I've already grabbed an emberwake and the taming and can get myself a scold's bridle as well. I can't see the consuming dark as a requirement, more as a nice to have, but I'd like your input.

Cheers!
Hi guys, thank you for being interested in the build and I'm really sorry for delay. Since the thread disappeared from the first page after few days from being posted I thought noone is and will be interested and stopped checking. :)

"
rashien3 wrote:
Let's say im not rich enough for the taming.
Is this build still viable? I mean the tooltip damage and calculated stacking ignites itself already seem quite sweet without the damage mult from the taming. Thoughts?

Having Emberwake without Taming makes no sense - even with free prolif from Elementalist subclass. Radius is too small and damage from Ignite is not enough on its own. Damage it does is only nice addition as a side effect.

However it doesn't mean the build cannot be done without Taming. You could replace both rings with jewelry from Elreon with -mana cost and bring mana cost of Incinerate close to zero. This way you could drop Mana Leech gem a boost damage with additional support gem - probably Controlled Destruction or Empower.

Also note that without without stacking Ignite there is no point in having only 75% conversion from fire to chaos. I would recommend full conversion with legacy Consuming Dark + Infernal Mantle which would again boost Incinerate a lot (+1 to fire gems). However that would be already a different build tho and it actually exists:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1354469

"
B_Boy_Crumps wrote:
Just wondering if the consuming dark is a requirement for this build. I've already grabbed an emberwake and the taming and can get myself a scold's bridle as well. I can't see the consuming dark as a requirement, more as a nice to have, but I'd like your input.

Actually its not as build enabling as Scolds Bridle, but I would still say its very important.

It makes elemental reflect negligible. I think it would work even with only 50% conversion. Without Consuming Dark you would have to drop Anger or Arctic Armour in order to have Purity of Fire and even then I think you wouln't survive damage from VMS and if you would survive most of the leech would be wasted to cover reflected damage. Reduced max resists with ele reflect would be no go while now I'm actually happy when I roll this combination.

Another important thing is I'm using Hungry Abyss jewel which converts all leech to leech from chaos. If you would drop Consuming Dark, you would have to drop Hungry Abyss aswell.

Last edited by Diphal on Mar 30, 2016, 6:59:49 AM
Fixed some typos and added bandit choices with an explanation.
Last edited by Diphal on Mar 30, 2016, 9:56:18 AM
"
Diphal wrote:

It makes elemental reflect negligible. I think it would work even with only 50% conversion. Without Consuming Dark you would have to drop Anger or Arctic Armour in order to have Purity of Fire and even then I think you wouln't survive damage from VMS and if you would survive most of the leech would be wasted to cover reflected damage. Reduced max resists with ele reflect would be no go while now I'm actually happy when I roll this combination.

Another important thing is I'm using Hungry Abyss jewel which converts all leech to leech from chaos. If you would drop Consuming Dark, you would have to drop Hungry Abyss aswell.

Ah ok thanks for the reply! Since I'm in Perandus Softcore I may just try and run the build w/o the Consuming Dark, but just farm to eventually pick one up. I don't mind the odd death to reflect to be honest (usually a HC played but in SC this league).

For the time being while I save for a consuming dark; should I stick with a spell damage rolled dagger for whirling blades, or what would be the second best option for a weapon in your opinion?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info