Out of Memory (Workaround Found)

Spoiler
Continually getting the Out of Memory error.

CPU: i7-5930 @ 3.5 ghz
RAM: 16gb RAM
GFX: 2x SLI Nvidia GTX 980Ti

Have set Path of Exile.exe -gc 1, lowered texture quality to Medium. I can watch PoE in the task manager eating more and more RAM as I load into zones. Garbage collection does not seem to be working as after a 6-7 instances, the application will have increased memory usage by 300-400mb, eventually leading up to insufficient memory.

Also get the error while standing idle in town. Observing Resource Monitor, Standby Memory continues to increase as Path of Exile is running. Closing the game does not release the memory, requiring a full computer restart.

Scanned and checked for viruses and malware, everything comes out clean.

Found a workaround.

Download RAMMap from here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/rammap.aspx

Yes, PoE is having issues freeing up Standby Memory, ultimately leading to too much being cached, and not being free'd up for loading new maps/instances.

You can use RAMMap to free up Standby memory as an administrator by going through the following steps.

1) Open RAMMap
2) Dropdown the "Empty" menu item.
3) Select "Empty Standby list."
This will get rid of the Standby memory cache, and has so far prevented crashes and requiring me to restart my computer. Note that this is temporary, and that PoE's Standby Memory cache will accumulate over time again, and that other parts of your system may load slower due to the lack of a cache, so you'll have to empty the Standby List every now and then.

For those leery of downloading anything off the web, RAMMap is developed and maintained by Sysinternals (also known as Winternals). It is a part of the Microsoft TechNet website that offers technical resources for Windows operating systems, and has been doing doing so since 1996.
Last edited by Shaeltal on Mar 7, 2016, 1:26:51 PM
Last bumped on Nov 20, 2017, 2:09:54 AM
This happened to me right after I took the portal back to town from finishing the labyrinth. Got the error saying it was out of memory and resource manager was showing 11GB out of 16GB even though only firefox and steam are running.

CPU i7 4770k
RAM 16gb
GPU zotac gtx 980 ti
OS windows 10 pro
It's a Windows 10 "feature" that is screwing things up for a lot of people. Something GGG changed from 2.1 to 2.2 is changing the way Windows stores memory for the game. Rather than dumping old files, its hoarding them, ultimately leading to a crash.

All you can do to combat this is restart your pc every hour or so :P
Facebreaker is Life.
Found a workaround.

Yes, PoE is having issues freeing up Standby Memory, ultimately leading to too much being cached, and not being free'd up for loading new maps/instances.

You can use RAMMap to free up Standby memory as an administrator by going through the following steps.

1) Open RAMMap
This will get rid of the Standby memory cache, and has so far prevented crashes and requiring me to restart my computer. Note that this is temporary, and that PoE's Standby Memory cache will accumulate over time again, and that other parts of your system may load slower due to the lack of a cache, so you'll have to empty the Standby List every now and then.

For those leery of downloading anything off the web, RAMMap is developed and maintained by Sysinternals (also known as Winternals). It is a part of the Microsoft TechNet website that offers technical resources for Windows operating systems, and has been doing doing so since 1996.
Last edited by Shaeltal on Mar 6, 2016, 4:56:27 PM
"
Shaeltal wrote:
Found a workaround.

1) Open RAMMap

Gonna give this a shot. Saw RAMMap earlier when I was searching about having high useage of RAM.
Working here also. Hopefully GGG can come up with a way to fix whatever has changed. In the mean time, thanks for the link!
Facebreaker is Life.
I've also some sort of "out of memory" crashes on Win 10-64bit with 8gb memory. I didn't have any of these, say, before the 2.2 patch. PoE freezez, a bunch of error boxes in widows saying like "Cannot write this to memory".

I can try lowering texture memory to medium but I would prefer not. I'll give a shot to rammap.

Question: If PoE is developed as a 64bit application, will it solve these memory problems? I think it's time now for it to switch to 64bit from 32bit as 2gb system memory seems not to be enough for PoE.
Got same stuff on windows 10 x64. Never before 2.2 patch.
I just played for 30 minutes and shut down the game. POE is at 5gigs of standby RAM.
Possible workaround that worked for me, might work for some of you too! Try enabling software audio with -swa in steam, or --softwareaudio in standalone client!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info