How do heralds interact with curse on hit?

I'm running a basic fire totem build right now. I want to use Herald of Thunder - Curse of Hit - Flammability for instance. When I turn HoT on, are my attacks from the totems suppose to curse the enemies? Does Ancestral Bond negate the effects of HoT? To my understanding it should work just fine, but I've never used a CoH setup and I can't create the results I'm looking for.
First off, it will only proc when you shock which will be difficult with your build w/o vaal lightning trap or vinktar.

If you can generate shocks and kill the enemy, the herald should still trigger even if your totem did the killing.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Feb 29, 2016, 6:36:52 PM
I think that answers my question then. So CoH + HoT only works when you shock?
"
NotSoMild wrote:
I think that answers my question then. So CoH + HoT only works when you shock?

Yes.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Herald of Thunder will only curse on hit with the secondary effect after you've killed a shocked enemy.

Also, according to the wiki section about skills used by totems I don't think that the totems can trigger the secondary effect of Herald of Thunder.
"
Kills made by totems are credited to the creator of the totem for the purposes of experience gain, but not for other effects such as life on kill or gaining of charges.

Herald of Thunder will still apply the added lightning damage to your totems.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Ok, thanks guys. I guess I'll just manually cast curses then. No big deal.
Actually, there is a way out to make "on kill" effects work on totems, I'll try to explain it. To activate HoT on kill effect (and then curse every striked mob with a curse) your totems must: 1) kill a shocked enemy, 2) You must get the credit of the kill, not your totem.

So, the problem with HoT with totems is that totems can't have the HoT on-kill effect (that shinning light above you that strikes any closer enemy), only you can have it. But there is a way to credit you with the kills: Enemies must die with a "DoT", so a burning or poisoned enemy must die with that DoT, anyway, it's hard to make your totems stop attacking enemies and wait until the DoT kills them. To solve this, you can use the unique gloves "Southbound", wich prevents you to kill enemies that are not frozen, but DoT can still kill them. Flame Totem has a chance to ignite enemies, also you can use a "The Consuming Dark" wich always poison enemies, so DoT is guaranted to kill those mobs and credit you with the kill.

TL;DR: Use the unique gloves "Southbound", a "The Consuming Dark" makes it easier.
Venezolano o latino, únete: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pathofexilelatino/
You don't absolutely need Southbound for that; they'll Ignite all the time, and with Flame Totem's low per-Hit damage, some monsters will die to Ignite. It won't be nearly as reliable as Southbound, but it works fine enough for a lot of people. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info