An attempt to better understand "Legacy League"

So I'm going to reference an item from Diablo 2. Windforce.

So let's say Windforce, is an item thats able to be found in the game.

But GGG could decide, to not have it in the game for some reason? and move all these characters to legacy. Where they can no longer find this item, and players cannot find it in standard league anymore either?

Is this the correct way it works when dealing with items that the devs decide to not have in the game for some reason?

What if Diablo 2 had decided, "Oh we don't want Windforce in the game any more"

Pretty crappy way to do things eh?

Why would there ever be an item they would essentially delete from the game?

I'm a PoE n00b but have many many years of experience with other games. And I definitely don't want to grind some build just to find out, my 1 item I needed/wanted is no longer even part of the game?

Why is this even a thing?
I sincerely doubt any up-to-date build relies on a legacy item to be effective. It's not a big deal.
characters do not get moved to a new league because of items.
the only way characters change leagues is when a temporary league ends, or a character in hardcore dies.

legacy league items aren't really a thing anymore since you can use zana to access any temp league and by extension, any of the uniques that were exclusive to that league.

edit: to the best of my knowledge the only items ever removed from the game are the item quantity gem and eternal orbs. the gem is not that hard to buy in the perm leagues, eternal orbs still exist but are gradually dwindling.
Last edited by Xavqwyrus on Feb 12, 2016, 8:29:40 PM

?????????????

If you need an item to make a build that necessarily need the item, the logical way to get the item is buying it. Because if you're going to wait for the item magically falling from the sky is quite possible that your first dying of old... Therefore, your claim is invalid. Anyone can have any "Legacy" item.

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
"
Xavqwyrus wrote:
edit: to the best of my knowledge the only items ever removed from the game are the item quantity gem and eternal orbs. the gem is not that hard to buy in the perm leagues, eternal orbs still exist but are gradually dwindling.

I finally sorted some of my stash on Standard recently and when checking for legacy etc I found one of these:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Broadstroke

Apparently that got removed! I have no idea why though :P
"Why is this even a thing?"
It's not a thing. If you play temporary Leagues, then some old versions of items cannot be acquired - not build-breaking, and any decent build guide will assume non-legacy gear anyways. Temp leagues empty into Standard, which is where legacy items exist, and it's a perfectly valid place to play Path of Exile.
Overpowered/underpowered items get balanced the same as builds/skills. GGG were nice enough to allow people to continue playing with them in standard but they are not necessary nor even technically appropriate for playing the game.
The problem is that they don't have the ability to scan the files of all the characters in the game to alter the items there without taking the game down for potentially weeks of time. They simply didn't design the game to be able to do it. You might think it's wrong... and you might even be right... but there's literally nothing they can do about it at this point.

Learn to live with it. Or don't. Those are your choices.
Who cares show me one build you need legacy to do uber or hardest content with and new will not suffice? The best legacy is kaoms chest and if ~1000 life makes you do or die i'd be surprised. Legacy is like mirrors to me. Shitty price/performance I want nothing to do with anyway.

I have some but they make literally minimal difference.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Feb 12, 2016, 10:23:13 PM
What is a 08 Valk
What is 29 strength 49 fire resist rare boots
What is a no level req SoJ

D2 has plenty of legacy items

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info