Discharge should get the "Purity" Treatment.

3 separate skill gems for each element + revised attribute requirements. Vaal Discharge would combine them similarly to the current Discharge gem.

Time for some reality bombs.
Let's face it this gem has strayed light-years away from the intentions behind it's original implementation. Time to reverse directions and get it back on track.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Feb 10, 2016, 4:16:48 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Fast before path of assassin hits!

.. prepare for shitstorm now from coc discharge abusers who think the skills been forgotten about.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
I would like a solution against the spammable Discharge, but I don't think that a split would be enough to get the damage on par with (most non-OP) others.

The mainproblem are some specific uniques that make charge generation to easy. I would like to remove them instead. :/

+1
sweet idea !
Qvis contra nos ?
A question: what happens with the Discharge gems already in the game?
All become Vaal Discharge ;)
Or Lightning since it would be the blue one.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Feb 10, 2016, 7:17:47 AM
Discharge - especially with Mjölner - is one of the most awesome things ever seen in any ARPG.

While I agree that it´s annoying in parties because of graphic issues and fps drops, I do not agree that it has to be removed or changed. At the same time you could remove Shavronne´s Wrappings, crit daggers, all crafted 6xT1 top phys dps weapons, basically all the top end shit.

And THEN we´ll have fun in this game, right ? Because everything will be the same mediocre shit as everything else. We´ll enjoy PoE so much more when our options get limited to running behind some Vaal Sparker clearing outdoor maps in 30 seconds, or some crit bow user who oneshots The Brittle Emperor even in a 6man party.

Summary : Discharge´s graphic issues need to be adressed, just to make it less obnoxious in parties. But from a gameplay and balance point of view, it´s nowhere near "super-OP-has-to-be-nerfed". There´s other things much higher up the OP-ladder you´d need to consider first.
Just curious, what is so bad about discharge as it is? Is it game breaking? Definitely not. Sure, it has graphical issues that make it bad for party play, but that has nothing to do with skill balance.

Has it diverted from its original design? Yes, but you can still use it as intended. Discharge spaming is in the same vein as Righteous Fire, it was not designed to be sustained 100% of the time. However, being able to achieve permanent Righteous Fire is in itself an interesting build. In other words, discharge spam is an interesting mechanic that is achieved through specific gearing and is part of what make PoE so fun (aka diversity).

Yes it is quite easy to have spammable discharge through CoC or Legacy Mjolner, but they are most definitely not the top tier GG builds. If anything, you can still build discharge as a one-time huge burst of damage, and there would be nothing wrong with doing so.

So far this thread has failed to give a concrete reason on WHY discharge should get the "Purity" treatment. What is the fundamental failure of the skill?
Last edited by iSo1iD on Feb 10, 2016, 8:41:01 AM
But... why?

Discharge requires a lot of investment to make it really work well, what's OP about that?

Now, if you're going to argue that the graphics need to be changed, that's fine. They could use an overhaul. I don't know that anyone would really argue that.
Selfcast only, please. Selfcasting the skill is fiddly so it needs to be extremely powerful, and it can't be extremely powerful until triggering is disabled.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info