Active Skill concept: Chilling Fog

I spend a pretty good amount of time day dreaming about this game. Coming up with my own ideas and such. Came up with one the other day that might just be good enough to share on here.

My idea came from the fact that there are no movement based skill gems showcasing the cold element. I find this very frustrating since I enjoy thematic builds a lot.

Anywho, I am calling this skill:

Chilling Fog

Keywords: Spell, Movement, Cold, Duration, AoE

Like Lightning Warp, this skill's primary duration is based on your character's movement speed. When the player uses this skill, they will click on the screen where they want to be "teleported". After casting the character appears to sublimate into a cloud of fog. This fog spreads out in all directions stopping at (up to a maximum AoE) just after the character's destination which was determined by the initial use of the skill. Once the cloud reaches this point, the character reforms, while the fog is "sucked" back in by the character essentially rebuilding their corporeal form. Any enemies caught in this fog become chilled for a time, determined by the skill's secondary duration.

This all takes place in the time it takes for that character to walk to the intended spot (or slower than that, for balance purposes). This duration can of course be reduced using the Less Duration gem, however the catch is that the secondary chill duration would be less as well. Alternatively a player could link an Increased Duration gem to this skill for a longer chill (as well as a longer duration movement effect).

This skill should definitely have a number of uses with a cool down like Flame Dash. The maximum AoE of the spell determines the distance one could travel, but could be increased with the proper support gem. Also the skill deals no damage, and does not hit so damage, status effects etc. could not be added to it using support gems. Also while the character is in fog form, they are unable to use any active skills (possibly even flasks); Similarly, enemies would be unable to target the character while in fog form.

Some pre-existing assets could be used to make this skill a reality. Namely, the smoke cloud animation could be re-used after changing the color and making it more transparent. Some of the mechanics already exist in Lightning Warp, and the chill would just be a ground effect with a very short duration (enemies should only be chilled when entering the fog, not entering an area where the fog used to be).

So that's pretty much it. Please reply or bump if you think this skill would be a cool addition to the game. It would be pretty easy to balance so that it isn't too OP and would fill a much needed niche in Cold only builds.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Self bump because I like this idea. =P
I really like this idea, just because it sounds cool. ++.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
This skill sounds cool but also seems overpowered defensively. Reduce movespeed, increase duration, and become immune to all damage for way, way too long a duration.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info