[2.2.2]Elementalist Mjolner: Life and armour - EE/RT - Getting a buff for 2.3!

Hello everyone! Thank you for checking out my build. Having a non-legacy Mjolner posed some damage concerns for me with the reduced amount of casts. So, I chose Resolute Technique to negate any possibility of missing and to increase Mjolner procs, I decided on Elemental Equilibrium paired with Elemental Weakness for some easy extra damage on bosses, and focused on attack speed to optimize the amount of procs Mjolner gives. I'm very happy with the end result and hope existing Mjolner enthusiasts and players new to the concept will too.

This is my first Mjolner build so please feel free to give any advice you have.

2.3 will introduce a few awesome buffs to the build, I've listed them below.
2.3 buffs

Pendulum of Destruction adds 25% increased AoE alongside 100% increased elemental damage every 10 seconds for 4 seconds.
Paragon of Calamity gains 50% elemental reflect damage reduction(like we need it).
And the one I'm most excited about: Liege of the Primordial gets +1 golem and I will definitely be adding my flame golem back into the mix for a serious damage boost. 40% increased fire damage and 38% increased general damage(level 16 golem) sounds good to me!

Please refer to this changelog for any updates to the guide.
Changelog
08/02/2016 - Added Atziri video
09/02/2016 - Waterways boss kill added
09/02/2016 - Shrine kill added
09/03/2016 - Guide updated to 2.2
16/03/2016 - Added optional Poeplanner.com tree
20/03/2016 - Mjolner was not showing right skill order - fixed
21/03/2016 - Updated flask section and added this section
15/04/2016 - Updated guide for Lightning Golem and new level 94 tree and stats
23/04/2016 - Added a Blasphemy Enfeeble set up to replace Arctic Armour and removed the CWDT Elemental Weakness setup.
29/04/2016 - Upon request I added a leveling guide sub-section under passive tree section
26/05/2016 - Added upcoming 2.3 class changes in its own section until finalization and release.

Lets get started:

PROS
Amazing damage
Very fun to play
With Voll's and Kingsguard reflect isn't noticable - Thorns hurt though.
High life - over 5k possible
Tanky
High damage mitigation with defensive layering
Can run most any map mod you are comfortable running
Fast and reliable map clearing
Extreme survivability with Kingsguard and Voll's
Cannot be stunned
High attack speed
Trivializes normal Atziri
CONS
Molten Strikes delay will give you heart attacks
Can make your computer hate you
You can't be this cool in real life

Ascendancy Class
Spoiler
With the Ascendancy expansion out now, let's talk about which class to choose and some of the options.
When you look at the classes the Witch offers, only one truly stands out: Elementalist. Pretty obvious since you deal loads of elemental damage. Occultist has nothing of significance to offer and Necromancer only has a couple nice attributes for a Mjolner build. My main focus when I mapped my Ascendancy tree was maximizing boss battles.
Very good bossing choices
Pendulum of Destruction: Why WOULDN'T you take this node? 100% increased elemental damage for 4 seconds? Yes, please. And the sweet part is, the cooldown starts when you gain the buff, so 6 seconds after the buff ends you will have it again. The smaller node before it is amazing too, 4% increased attack speed and 10% increased elemental damage, A+.
Liege of the Primordial: If you can sacrifice some physical damage mitigation to gain some serious attack speed, then do so because lightning golem here is an absolute beast. Since we use a high level CWDT setup our golem is level 16 and that happens to be the first level where it gains 9% attack and cast speed granted to players. Even better LotP grants 100% golem effect which ramps it up to 18% increased attack speed, which is a huge DPS boost. Of course, flame golem is still an option and if you feel this is better for you then go with that. Smaller node includes 10% elemental damage and 3% ignite, freeze, shock chance(boo).
Paragon of Calamity: With great offense you need a great defense and this can provide with a nice defense boost to elemental damage. Got hit by lightning/fire/cold damage? No worries, Paragon of Calamity with increase your lightning/fire/cold damage by 40% as sweet revenge and also grant you 8% lightning/fire/cold damage reduction for future hits(if they live long enough[which they dont]). I really like this node because a vast majority of elemental damage in this game is fire and lightning and those are your main offensive elements. Plus, they are your highest resistances and taking even less damage is amazing. This node is amazing for Atziri runs! Smaller node grants 10% elemental damage(again!) and 6% all resistances. All in all you gain 30% increased elemental damage at all times which is a really massive boost, especially for Discharge.

PASSIVE TREE||LEVELING GUIDE
Spoiler
My current level 94 tree - PoE website
Level 94 tree - PoE planner
It must be noted that I use Intuitive Leap on the far left above Devotion.
Spoiler
If you do not have or want to use Intuitive Leap, alternate pathing is required. I would remove Faith and Steel and path to the charges.

Bandits:
Oak/life
Kraityn/attack speed
Alira/+1 power charge

LEVELING GUIDE
28 points
http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAMCN1WuRKuPpnyDLJzr7icvGjiQVfAfBLOiAOw4ZlSUb4IQ4XOCm5o7hXtyD9-wES1o8jLRWfNFR8Bm

It would be a good idea to level as a caster since we grab a lot of spell and elemental nodes during this phase. Spark, Arc, or your spell of choice are best here. If you have good jewels to spare you can grab the other socket below Mind over matter for a 30 point progression. Pretty basic and easy progression.

57 points
http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAMCN1WuRKuPpnyDLJzr7icvGjiQVfAfBLOiAOw4ZlSUb4IQ4XOCm5o7hXtyD9-wES1o8jLRWfNFR8BmrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9--OsUcdl8ggfyQdIhns2nMJ_LAec26EZpFE38S7yfGJGJ2GhY15bz3WhlHNyPGg==

After the first phase of the build you're mainly grabbing a lot of life and trying to spread the tree out as much as possible. Damage will be diminishing here most likely so it is a good idea to grab the jewel sockets and find some substitute damage jewels. Also, Hard Knocks intelligence node will help fill out attribute requirements for leveling. If you have Ascended at this point, Pendulum of Destruction or Liege of the Primordial would be good nodes to grab.

89 points
http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAMCN1WuRKuPpnyDLJzr7icvGjiQVfAfBLOiAOw4ZlSUb4IQ4XOCm5o7hXtyD9-wES1o8jLRWfNFR8BmrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9--OsUcdl8ggfyQdIhns2nMJ_LAec26EZpFE38S7yfGJGJ2GhY15bz3WhlHNyPGmae-tIWb-NqJKo26YZgYVLvTl4TQKB67wUtdO1Yr6lud-MB3ITZR369NmVNvqfAGm87htEXLySwgKQhYHTxKaV82Q==

Alright at this point you should be around level 68-69 and almost ready to start using Mjolner. We grab more life, some attack speed, another jewel socket, the aura nodes, Iron Reflexes, and Resolute Technique to prepare the transition.

108 points
http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAMCN1WuRKuPpnyDLJzr7icvGjiQVfAfBLOiAOw4ZlSUb4IQ4XOCm5o7hXtyD9-wES1o8jLRWfNFR8BmrKpyqfcy6hh2rM9--OsUcdl8ggfyQdIhns2nMJ_LAec26EZpFE38S7yfGJGJ2GhY15bz3WhlHNyPGmae-tIWb-NqJKo26YZgYVLvTl4TQKB67wUtdO1Yr6lud-MB3ITZR369NmVNvqfAGm87htEXLySwgKQhYHTxKaV82XgNtfJybGxGMgk1kti9u-2Rzhv6Jd-2LKQZuJMo-pitxLjV-A==

After you transition to using Mjolner the rest of the tree is just picking up charges(either with Intuitive Leap or alternate pathing), life, attack speed, and Mana Flows to fill in any remaining attribute requirements. At this point the build is essentially done and any further leveling is up to you, there are plenty of life, damage, attack speed and armour nodes to grab depending on what you want or need. Ascendancy progression is up to you, anything you take at any time would benefit the build.

Required Gear
Spoiler

This is a Mjolner build, so BiS.

Kingsguard is used to generate loads of life every time you discharge, and you'll discharge quite often so this is crucial to your survival. But this would be absolutely useless without...

...Voll's Devotion. Pretty standard for a Mjolner discharge build, you gain an endurance charge for every power charge consumed by discharge, which results in massive damage increase. This, too, would also be useless without...

...Romira's Banquet. For every non-crit hit you gain a power charge for use by discharge, rinse and repeat.

Recommended Gear
Spoiler

Devoto's Devotion makes mapping smoother with its increased movement speed. Attack speed is greatly welcomed and the dexterity is really nice since this build needs 142. It also gives great armour since we grab Iron Reflexes.

Saffell's is great for resistances and helps mitigate reflect and increases our spell damage. Cannot block attacks doesnt really affect us much and the spell block is really nice.

Remaining Gear
Spoiler
The rest of your gear should focus around filling remaining resistances and high life rolls, 30% movement is nice since I personally do not use a movement skill. Use these pieces to also fill in any attributes you need, mainly dexterity and intelligence.

My Gear
Spoiler

A 6 link chest is not truly required as you would only be losing LMP and 10% attack speed(for quality LMP) also the enchant I have on my boots is really nice for mapping. Not sure if I'll change it anytime soon unless I see something better.

Flasks
Spoiler
You'll need either a caustic Eternal flask or a seething Divine flask, depending on what you like to play with, either way they need to be "of staunching" for corrupted blood and bleed. These are for emergencies. Quicksilver for movement and everything else is up to you, Atziri's Promise is a good option for more damage against tanky bosses but I found it unnecessary and no longer use it. For the more currency inclined Vessel of Vinktar is by far the best flask for this build as long as you have a grounding flask to back it up.
My flasks

The combination of my basalt and jade flask allows me to reach 90% physical damage reduction. I have found that mitigating physical damage is much more important than elemental since there are far more sources of high physical damage during normal gameplay. And my elemental resistances take care of most high-end damage anyway, especially with Paragon of Calamity now in play.
Of course you should always adjust your flasks for certain bosses and for Atziri. Rumis Concoction is still BiS for Atziri herself and for double vaals and any high-end bosses that use spells.

Gem Setup
Spoiler
Weapon
Discharge->Arc->Controlled Destruction.
Since we take EE Lightning Penetration is no longer required. Controlled Destruction is better than Iron Will as it adds a more multiplier and is overall superior because it is a blue gem which allows us to swap in LP for 80% lightning resistance maps. ARC MUST GO AFTER DISCHARGE as it will proc EE and result in Discharge doing less damage.
Ball Lighting is a really good alternative or permanent gem. It lands more hits which results in having max power charges most of the time, very good to use against map bosses and Atziri.

Chest
6L: Molten Strike->Multistrike->Faster Attacks->GMP->Fortify->LMP(Bosses)/Lightning Strike(maps)
5L: Just drop LMP and you're still a murdering machine.
Since we do not use Blood Magic a mana gained on hit jewel is required and solves any mana issues.
Lightning Strike procs Mjolner like no ones business but can be a real pain on your computer. I usually use it on smaller packs. It's also really good to use at range for rippy maps and let Arc do its business.

Auras
Purity of Lightning->Purity of Fire->Arctic Armour->Enlighten(level 2-4)
Blasphemy->Enfeeble->Enlighten(level 2-4)
Our main aura setup is PoL-PoF-Enfeeble. For curse immune maps we switch to Arctic Armour.
Purities help mitigate as much reflect damage as possible and blasphemed Enfeeble reduces incoming damage by quite a lot and is much better for mapping and bossing than Arctic Armour since you do not need to stand still and Enfeeble reduces the damage before any other mitigation happens as long as the enemy is cursed.

Why I do not use Grace
I take Iron Reflexes because my gear has a fair amount of evasion and any extra armour is great. Now I do not use grace because it lacks defensive layering. When using armour/Grace + Fortify you only have two layers of damage mitigation: armour mitigation followed by Fortify reduction. When you run Enfeeble + armour + Fortify you add a third layer of mitigation: First Enfeeble lessens all enemy damage, then your armour and elemental resistances reduce the damage, then Fortify reduces that result further. Enfeeble and Fortify mitigate all damage meaning this is also elemental damage mitigation layering as well. As an added bonus with using Enfeeble, your character has a reduced chance to be critically struck and with less critical multiplier, so super crit maps are a little safer to run. Something that explains it better than me

Cast When Damage Taken
I run two separate CWDT set ups: one defensive and one offensive.
Defense set up: CWDT lvl 14->Immortal Call lvl 16->Molten Shell lvl 18->Increased Duration. Since we almost always have 3-5 endurance charges a high level Immortal Call is a great defense mechanism lasting anywhere from 2 to a little over 3 seconds.

Offensive 1: CWDT lvl 14->Summon Lightning Golem lvl 16->Blood Rage lvl 17->Enhance
Your Golem is one of your best offensive attributes. Hooking it up to CWDT takes the time you'd have to take to recast away, which is great for tough bosses. When linked with enhance your Golem becomes more tanky and is able to survive until the next cast. Having an automatic Blood Rage is great for boss fights when you need that extra attack speed and enhance makes it even more potent.

Gems to quality:
Discharge - increased AOE
Arc - shock chance
Controlled Destruction - increased spell damage
Faster Attacks - increased attack speed
GMP - increased attack speed
LMP(for 6L) - increased attack speed
Summon Lightning Golem - increased life and damage
Blood Rage - increased attack speed

Jewels
Spoiler
Throughout the tree we pick up 5 jewel sockets, jewels are so powerful and should be implemented in every build when possible. They can really push a build to its maximum and help optimize damage or defense.
I focused on attack speed and damage throughout my jewels. One +2 mana gained on hit is all you need to sustain mana

I cannot remove Intuitive Leap to post here.

STATS
Defense

Unbuffed

Basalt and Jade

Attack Speed

20q LMP, Lightning Golem, and Blood Rage

VIDEOS
Spoiler
I can efficiently kill Atziri and have completed all tier 12-15 maps excluding Core. I have not attempted Uber Atziri yet and am very hesitant since I have never attempted her with any build.

Wasteland Voll kill
Shipyard boss kill
Double boss Overgrown Ruin
Deathless Atziri This is a terrible video with lots of latency spikes.
Waterways boss kill
Shrine boss kill More terrible latency

Screenshots
Spoiler

Colosseum Daresso down

Palace Dominus down - two man party

I neglected a screenshot of Kaom unfortunately

And I do believe that concludes my guide, if you have questions please let me know. If I left anything out or you want to see something in here do not hesitate to tell me.
Last edited by BurninBodies on May 26, 2016, 12:35:53 PM
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2017, 5:40:54 PM
Changelog moved to top of guide
Last edited by BurninBodies on Mar 21, 2016, 12:04:38 PM
Hi,

just to mention as I read it in another Mjolner build thread, with Resolute Technique you should put Arc first into Mjolner before Discharge.
As Arc cannot crit it will never remove your charges and with it you possible get another charge before discharge.

/Edit:
For normal mapping just switch out LMP with Lightning Strike - works instantly (no delay from molten strike), keep in Molten Strike for the strong rares or exiles that do not die instantly (faster).
For bosses switch back to molten strike only.

Much better farming experience.
Last edited by daish0 on Feb 16, 2016, 5:31:12 AM
"
daish0 wrote:
Hi,

just to mention as I read it in another Mjolner build thread, with Resolute Technique you should put Arc first into Mjolner before Discharge.
As Arc cannot crit it will never remove your charges and with it you possible get another charge before discharge.

/Edit:
For normal mapping just switch out LMP with Lightning Strike - works instantly (no delay from molten strike), keep in Molten Strike for the strong rares or exiles that do not die instantly (faster).
For bosses switch back to molten strike only.

Much better farming experience.

Thanks for the advice! I was actually curious about the order, thank you. As for LS, you're right I just havent made the switch yet :)

Thank you for the reply!

UPDATE: LS is great but it really does a number on my computer. Using it occasionally is still good though :)
Last edited by BurninBodies on Mar 10, 2016, 8:30:40 AM
Hi, have you considered elemental focus gem instead of arc in weapon slot? (discharge-controlled destruction-elemental focus).
"
ZULEX wrote:
Hi, have you considered elemental focus gem instead of arc in weapon slot? (discharge-controlled destruction-elemental focus).

I like the idea of bigger damage for Discharge but it's not very practical to take out Arc since it helps grab the mobs that discharge can miss. I've run with a super beefed up discharge with no arc and its much slower to clear maps. Also, Arc shocks, which would ultimately make it the superior choice.
Where is the new 2.2 skill tree?
Tree ain't working
Wow, sorry guys. Of all the things to forget to update it was the tree. Tree now available :)
The build works amazingly for me, on 5L Kingsguard. It feels very solid when playing. With recommended gear i have 5.6k life, 1.1k mana and 8.9k armour.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info