Shannara Chronicles

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/

Finally a book series I've actually read gets an adaptation. I guess there was The Legend of the Seeker, but I just couldn't get into that one. Haven't seen any of this yet, hope it's better.
Filmed in New Zealand, just down the road (figuratively) from GGG Head Office.

Did I mention it was filmed in New Zealand? Much like that Lord of the Rings trilogy, which was also filmed in New Zealand.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
As soon as I saw the MTV logo, I knew it wasn't going to be what I hoped.

15 mins in now, and it seems clear that the script was aimed at teens. Too bad, but I'll still watch it unless it becomes really unbearable. Some neat scenery though, wonder where it was filmed.
Finished the combined ep 1 & 2. Probably won't watch any more.

This adaptation could have been a lot better in so many ways. Almost every element feels off, and wrong for the world the books presented. Like the difference between a Fox Studios Superhero movie and a Marvel Studios Superhero movie.

Hairstyle, wardrobe, costume design and music all just seem so discordant together and lacking a compelling vision. The sets are the only part that work for me at all, everything else has so little regard for the source material it might as well not even have the license.

Crixus with psychic powers. I think I'd have been happier for a psychic magic wielding Crixus in Spartacus than for this bastardized version of Allanon.

For anyone not familiar with the source material, just imagine Lord of the Rings, since that's all Terry Brooks did when he wrote most of the Shannara books. I was okay with that, originality is not always necessary for a story to be good, but this show just has no regard for any of it.

I realize I could have googled it first, I wanted to go in fresh. I didn't even read the reviews in the link I posted in the OP. And yes, I read nait's comment before my post. I was being funny.
Landover? Was that the series where the guy buys a magic kingdom?

I vaguely remember reading the first couple of those.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
I've watched the first 3 eps and it's fairly crap...not surprised though as I didn't really like the books, Shannara or Landover.

Decent fantasy really needs some meat on it's bones like the Malazan books or Thomas Covenant. Well actually any series that doesn't involve an orphan who saves the world with a magic sword is going to be readable IMO ^_^
If you make something idiot-proof, the universe creates a better idiot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info